• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the father of Jesus

Volgin

Those who believe in the Trinity would believe that it is the same being as Allah.
Not all Christians, have or do believe in the Trinity in the same way.
However they all believe in One God.
Just as it is a Miracle or Mystery how Jesus was conceived, it is a mystery how three persons can be a single God. The concept of a trinity (singular God) was the best explanation, of how God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit made up one Godhead.
God is and remains singular.

What i understand from your writing is that not all christians have same religious beliefs. I think probably this is because there are a lot of books of bible are present and every book apeaks somethin different so are the beliefs. But considering those who believe that God is Allah, the one Muslims believe in, then where come God, Jusus christ and Holy Ghost make up one Godhead. We believe that Almighty Allah is alone and present everywhere. He is the one who controls each and every minute process of this Universe. He is the one who created this Universe. He has got all powers. NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT HOW HE LOOKS LIKE. HE NEITHER BEGET NOR HE WAS BEGOTTEN. What i am confused is that what is the relation between Trinity and Almighty Allah. Since Allah is alone then with what proof do you say that He is the trinity form God.

Youtellme

What i am confused is that what is the relation between Trinity and Almighty Allah. Since Allah is alone then with what proof do you say that He is the trinity form God.

Because, I think, trinitarians believe that the God of Abraham, who is the Father God of the Godhead in the trinity is also Allah, as mulims claim that Allah was Abraham's God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Swedenborg - Swedenborg is the last true prophet of Jesus, he who told truth about what Christianity is really about.
I could never accept anyone as a prophet who declared that he was the last prophet. If God had felt it necessary to call Swedenborg as a prophet, because Christianity had gone astray without a prophet, why would He then suddenly stop talking again? If God is the same yesterday, today and forever, He would continue to communicate with us and not just send "one last prophet" to give us "one last chance" to get it right.

A

angellous_evangellous

For instance, if:

A = an infinite number of apples
B = an infinite number of oranges
C = an infinite number of pineapples

Then even though they are all infinite, A does not equal B, A does not equal C, and B does not equal C. (And they do not all equal some fourth party.)

But they are all fruit.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
But they are all fruit.
Yes, they are all fruit, but are they one fruit? Is the substance of an apple the same as the substance of the orange? Is the substance of the orange the same as the substance of the pineapple? And is the substance of the pineapple the same as the substance of the apple?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just as it is a Miracle or Mystery how Jesus was conceived, it is a mystery how three persons can be a single God. The concept of a trinity (singular God) was the best explanation, of how God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit made up one Godhead. God is and remains singular.
Hi Terry. I disagree, of course, but I'm sure that doesn't surprise you. Three persons can be a single God if you recognize that "God" is a synonym for "Godhead" and "Godhead" is a collective noun. There are three divine persons who together comprise the Godhead. Like any collective noun, Godhead is used as a singular noun but is understood to be made up of physically distinct individuals.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Yes, they are all fruit, but are they one fruit? Is the substance of an apple the same as the substance of the orange? Is the substance of the orange the same as the substance of the pineapple? And is the substance of the pineapple the same as the substance of the apple?

I'm so happy that we have have diversity in fruit, makes for a much better fruit salad. Otherwise people would not have a choice, sort of like diversity in religion something to suit everyones taste. :D

Smoke

Done here.
Hi Terry. I disagree, of course, but I'm sure that doesn't surprise you. Three persons can be a single God if you recognize that "God" is a synonym for "Godhead" and "Godhead" is a collective noun. There are three divine persons who together comprise the Godhead. Like any collective noun, Godhead is used as a singular noun but is understood to be made up of physically distinct individuals.
It's hard to see how three persons could fail to be three gods, but the Greek hypostasis doesn't really mean "person" in the usual English sense. It's an underlying state or substance. The hypostatic attributes of the three hypostases are internal to the Holy Trinity: The Father is unbegotten, the Son is begotten of the Father, and the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. In Orthodox theology this is conceded to be a Mystery, and no real explanation of these hypostatic attributes is offered.

St. Gregory the Theologian said, "You have heard about the begetting; do not be curious to know in what form this begetting was. You have heard that the Spirit proceeds from the Father; do not be curious to know how he proceeds."

Likewise St. John of Damascus said, "Although we have been taught that there is a distinction between begetting and procession, what this distinction consists of, and what is the begetting of the Son and the procession of the Holy Spirit from the Father -- this we do not know."

Nevertheless Orthodox theology holds that trinitarian monotheism is more exalted than unitarian monotheism, because it indicates "the fullness of the mystical inward life in God, for God is love and the love of God cannot merely be extended to the world created by Him: in the Holy Trinity this love is directed within the Divine Life also." (Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's hard to see how three persons could fail to be three gods, but the Greek hypostasis doesn't really mean "person" in the usual English sense. It's an underlying state or substance. The hypostatic attributes of the three hypostases are internal to the Holy Trinity: The Father is unbegotten, the Son is begotten of the Father, and the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. In Orthodox theology this is conceded to be a Mystery, and no real explanation of these hypostatic attributes is offered.

St. Gregory the Theologian said, "You have heard about the begetting; do not be curious to know in what form this begetting was. You have heard that the Spirit proceeds from the Father; do not be curious to know how he proceeds."

Likewise St. John of Damascus said, "Although we have been taught that there is a distinction between begetting and procession, what this distinction consists of, and what is the begetting of the Son and the procession of the Holy Spirit from the Father -- this we do not know."

Nevertheless Orthodox theology holds that trinitarian monotheism is more exalted than unitarian monotheism, because it indicates "the fullness of the mystical inward life in God, for God is love and the love of God cannot merely be extended to the world created by Him: in the Holy Trinity this love is directed within the Divine Life also." (Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky)
LOL! Mormonism makes it a whole lot simpler.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Indeed they do... an infinite number of fruit.

But they are all fruit.
I'm not sure what was misunderstood.

Sure, the sets have something in common, but one set is not the other set. Just because they share some characteristics (and differ in other characteristics) does not mean they are identical and that the word "is" is appropriate to describe their relationship.

The Trinity is a sub-par attempt at piecing together parts of the writings from the New Testament. It's an example of man's constant attempt to take something they don't know and try to put it in a neat little box (which, upon critical inspection, is not neat at all).

I think it's a pretty straightforward representation of what might be a mathematically impossible concept.
It's more fundamental than that. It's logically impossible, as logic is at the root of mathematics.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sure, the sets have something in common, but one set is not the other set. Just because they share some characteristics (and differ in other characteristics) does not mean they are identical and that the word "is" is appropriate to describe their relationship.
True. They are all fruit, but they are not "one fruit," no matter how you want to spin it. (Granted, a blender would pretty well make them look like one, though.)

truseeker

What if the word "GOD" is a "family name" like Jones. Then just like you can have one family Jones that includes Father Jones and Son Jones you can also have one God family that has a Father God and a Son God. That way there is one "GOD" meaning the family but more than one members of the family such as the Father and the Son.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What if the word "GOD" is a "family name" like Jones. Then just like you can have one family Jones that includes Father Jones and Son Jones you can also have one God family that has a Father God and a Son God. That way there is one "GOD" meaning the family but more than one members of the family such as the Father and the Son.
You're on the right track. "God" is a title. Three divine beings share that title. "God" is also a synonym for "Godhead," and "Godhead" is a collective noun, exactly like "family." So there are three divine beings, each of whom has the same title: God. They are totally united in every way that really matters. They have the same desires for us and work together for our good. I just don't know why people are so insistent that it's complicated when it's really not.

Smoke

Done here.
LOL! Mormonism makes it a whole lot simpler.

True. The Mormon teaching is heretical from the point of view of the historic churches and the churches of the Reformation, but I think the majority of Christians believe something more closely resembling the Mormon teaching than the Orthodox teaching.

Volgin

Because, I think, trinitarians believe that the God of Abraham, who is the Father God of the Godhead in the trinity is also Allah, as mulims claim that Allah was Abraham's God.

Almighty Allah is the God for all of us, Muslims or non-muslims. He is alone. He does not has any partener of any sort. Calling him a partner of someone is Shirk(sin). He himself says in the Holy Quran;
"Say: He is Allah, the One and Only! Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him." [112:1-4]
These are four verses. So He is alone and God for all of us.

If you believe in the trinity ( Father, Son, Holy Ghost ) consider this. It is easy to see that the Son is Jesus. And the Father should be the father of Jesus. But the Bible says in the first chapter of Matthew verse 18 that Mary was with child of the Holy Ghost. Verse 20 repeats that her child was conceived by the Holy Ghost. So isn't the Holy Ghost really the father of Jesus and the Father is not really the father? How can this be explained?

I believe the physical father of Jesus is Zacharias (also the father of John the Baptist). For a well reasoned case to that effect, try the book "Secrets of the Holy Family", by Mark Gibbs. That the Holy Spirit overshadowed the birth indicates that the conception and birth of Jesus was under God's blessing and protection.

In Luke 1:15 Gabriel lets Zacharias know that John the Baptist will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even while in the womb. This shows a relationship with Jesus' birth, where the Holy Spirit is also involved. When Gabriel later appears to Mary he uses the future tense when talking about her pregnancy. (Luke 1:35) Mary interprets Gabriel's revelation of her relative Elizabeth's miraculous pregnancy to mean that Mary's pregnancy will be accomplished in the same way. She immediately goes to the home of Zacharias. Three months later she is pregnant. If she went there to assist Elizabeth during her pregnancy, why didn't she stay there until the birth?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
True. The Mormon teaching is heretical from the point of view of the historic churches and the churches of the Reformation, but I think the majority of Christians believe something more closely resembling the Mormon teaching than the Orthodox teaching.
I think you're right, but it's their "private" rather than their "public" belief. Weird, huh?