• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the father of Jesus

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Elohim is the hebrew word 'God'

its not a name.
Actually, Elohim is a plural word that indicates several gods. El would be a singular form. Jevhova is a corruption made by inserting the hebrew letters for jesus in between the YHVH. No one actually knows the correct pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton(YHVH).

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I disagree. I believe that Jehovah is the name Jesus went by prior to His birth in Bethlehem. I believe Elohim to be the father of Jesus.
I think you may be confusing this with the more direct translation of Jesus' name as Yehoshua, or Yeshua. Jesus being a more anglicized version. You can believe what you want, but a little research on the topic should clarify this better for you.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think you may be confusing this with the more direct translation of Jesus' name as Yehoshua, or Yeshua. Jesus being a more anglicized version. You can believe what you want, but a little research on the topic should clarify this better for you.
Actually, I'm not confused. I meant exactly what I said, but thanks for giving me permission to believe what I want. ;):)

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Actually, I'm not confused. I meant exactly what I said, but thanks for giving me permission to believe what I want. ;):)

Sorry I tried to confuse you with the facts, I was actually just trying to help, not attack you. Seriously, though: actually look into the etymology of these words, and their actual meaning. You will see that I am right.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Actually, Elohim is a plural word that indicates several gods. El would be a singular form. Jevhova is a corruption made by inserting the hebrew letters for jesus in between the YHVH. No one actually knows the correct pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton(YHVH).

(Those who don't know Hebrew shouldn't comment on it)

A

angellous_evangellous

Sorry I tried to confuse you with the facts, I was actually just trying to help, not attack you. Seriously, though: actually look into the etymology of these words, and their actual meaning. You will see that I am right.

Etemology does not explain the complexities of current usage. Etemology is the history of the meaning, which continually changes, which is why the etemology is a story in itself and not a definitive definition for a particular usage after that time.

In the case of Elohim, you're dead wrong. And if you knew Hebrew grammar and syntax, you would know exactly why.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
(Those who don't know Hebrew shouldn't comment on it)

You are right. I don't claim to know Hebrew, but this is the meaning I have seen time and again throughout my reading on the subject over the years, though. If you know different information, I would very much like to be enlightened. I claim no authority on this myself.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Etemology does not explain the complexities of current usage. Etemology is the history of the meaning, which continually changes, which is why the etemology is a story in itself and not a definitive definition for a particular usage after that time.

In the case of Elohim, you're dead wrong. And if you knew Hebrew grammar and syntax, you would know exactly why.

What would be the more accurate meaning? I hate being misinformed. :eek:

A

angellous_evangellous

Angelicized as in what? A transliteration of the Greek, Jesus?

You do realize that the NT was written in Greek and Yeshua is Hebrew. There's no way that Jesus is "anglicized" - maybe it's Hellenized from Aramaic. Or maybe they called him Jesus. :shrug:

A

angellous_evangellous

What would be the more accurate meaning? I hate being misinformed. :eek:

Elohim is plural. Hebrew uses the plural of words to denote greatness, not just "more than one." In every appearance of Elohim in the Hebew Bible, Elohim has a singular verb, clearly denoting the singular referant. If there is an etomological history in Hebrew of Elohim referring to more than one god, it is completely foreign to the entire Hebrew corpus.

The history of "El" falls outside of Hebrew history into previous cultures that pre-date Hebrew religion.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Angelicized as in what? A transliteration of the Greek, Jesus?

You do realize that the NT was written in Greek and Yeshua is Hebrew. There's no way that Jesus is "anglicized" - maybe it's Hellenized from Aramaic. Or maybe they called him Jesus. :shrug:

I was always told this was an anglicized or latinized version. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong! :drool: I like knowing where my knowledge is full of holes! Can't fix what you don't know is broken, etc :eek:

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Elohim is plural. Hebrew uses the plural of words to denote greatness, not just "more than one." In every appearance of Elohim in the Hebew Bible, Elohim has a singular verb, clearly denoting the singular referant. If there is an etomological history in Hebrew of Elohim referring to more than one god, it is completely foreign to the entire Hebrew corpus.

The history of "El" falls outside of Hebrew history into previous cultures that pre-date Hebrew religion.
Thanks!:D I truly appreciate being corrected when necessary!