• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the father of Jesus

A

angellous_evangellous

I was always told this was an anglicized or latinized version. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong! :drool: I like knowing where my knowledge is full of holes! Can't fix what you don't know is broken, etc :eek:

Greek "Jesus" in the NT is "IESOUS." There's no J in Greek, but we know something of their pronounciation.

It transliterates into English as "JESUS." I goes to J (O drops out), approximating the "Ye" sound in the Greek pronounciation of "IESOUS" = "YESUS." So we get "Jesus."

Last edited by a moderator:

Renji

Greek "Jesus" in the NT is "IESOUS." There's no J in Greek, but we know something of their pronounciation.

It transliterates into English as "JESUS." I goes to J (O drops out), approximating the "Ye" sound in the Greek pronounciation of "IESOUS" = "YESUS." So we get "Jesus."

Hmm, this reminds me of the question about the translation of YHWH. Could it be that the tetragrammation is translated as "Jehovah" instead of "Yahweh"? I'm confused.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Hmm, this reminds me of the question about the translation of YHWH. Could it be that the tetragrammation is translated as "Jehovah" instead of "Yahweh"? I'm confused.

Well, here is one take on it:

Origin Of The Name Jehovah And Yahweh

JEHOVAH or YAHWEH?

In most English Bible versions of today, the epithet "YAHWEH" or "JEHOVAH" is used as a Biblical Proper Name for the God of the Bible. Why do some Bible versions have written "JEHOVAH", while others have written "YAHWEH"? Is there any difference between "JEHOVAH" and "YAHWEH"? Which one is the correct epithet?
The word "JEHOVAH" and "YAHWEH" both came from the same root. Both words are an erroneous transliteration (a transliteration is the representation of the letters of a word from one alphabet using a different alphabet).
The four Canaanite-Hebrew letters *Yodh, Heh, Waw, Heh* are correctly transliterated in Roman (Latin) letters as YHWH and erroneously transliterated as JHVH. The erroneous four letter Romanized (Latinized) version, JHVH was rendered as "JEHOVAH".
The word "JEHOVAH" was formed by merging the three vowels (e, o, and a) of the word ELOAH, into the Romanized (Latinized) four letter version JHVH (i.e. JeHoVaH). This was an early concoction. The word "YAHWEH" was formed by merging the vowels (a, and e) of the word HASHEM into the four letter version YHWH (i.e. YaHWeH). This was a more recent invention.
So, the four Canaanite-Hebrew letters have been rendered in Roman (Latin) letters as YHWH, JHWH, and also as IHWH, and then have been erroneously verbalized by some Christians as "YAHWEH", "JAHWEH", and as "IAHWEH.
On the other hand, in Yiddish (Jewish) block letters it is spelled out as *Yod, Heh, Vav, Heh* and has been rendered in Roman (Latin) letters as YHVH, JHVH, and also as IHVH, and then erroneously verbalized by other Christians as "YEHOVAH", "JEHOVAH", and as "IEHOVAH". Prior to the sixteenth century the name "JEHOVAH" and "YAHWEH" was unheard of.
The original Canaanite-Hebrew writing system has no vowels. When the Yiddish (Jewish) converts adopted the Canaanite-Hebrew writing system in ancient times, at first they did not use vowels. The vowel system (Masoretic vowel points), was added much later around 600 C.E. by the Yiddish (Jewish) Masorites. The vowels were invented as a means to aquire a common pronounciation, and at that time when the vowel system was invented, the pronouncing of the word YHWH by the Yids (Jews), had already been forbidden for generations. They use the epithet 'Adonai' for the God of the Bible.
The truth is, the word YHWH, is actually only one of the titles (the most used in scripture) of the God of the Bible. But it is however, not the true Proper Name of the God of the Bible. YHWH is a title which simply means : God, and is correctly pronounced as : Yay-hoo-wha (YéH-WHoa). The definite article proves this. Please let me explain. The definite article in English is "the". The definite article in Canaanite-Hebrew is the letter "heh", which is attached to the word with which it is associated.
Proper names in Hebrew do not have the definite article. In English, that would mean that you do not say "the Jesus" or "the Mary". So, to see one example of HYHWH (The God) in scripture simply turn to -JEREMIAH 8: 19! So, we see that YHWH is not a true proper name. YHWH means : God (erroneously translated in most Bibles as "Lord"). YHWH ALHYM = God of Gods.
Please visit : http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Canaanite-Alphabet Thanks!
IN LOVE AND RESPECT
Come You Out!