• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is God?

John D. Brey

In the Bible, God has so many names. He's got more damn names than our beloved Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez. ------God is Elohim, Yahweh, Shaddai, Eloah, Yeshua, Jesus, Christ, and Adam (which isn't even comprehensive nor comprehensible). . . . . . But Tuco is really Tuco. . . So which name really is God? And which names are surnames or nom de plumes?

Some of God's names present a good god, some a bad god, and some an ugly god.

Johh

74x12

In the Bible, God has so many names. He's got more damn names than our beloved Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez. ------God is Elohim, Yahweh, Shaddai, Eloah, Yeshua, Jesus, Christ, and Adam (which isn't even comprehensive nor comprehensible). . . . . . But Tuco is really Tuco. . . So which name really is God? And which names are surnames or nom de plumes?

Johh
He's all GOOD. God in ancient English actually means "good". So a name like "Godward" would mean "Good guard". "Godred" would mean "Good counsel". So "God" is a perfect name for a GOOD God.

I really don't know the name of God(The tetragrammaton) other than the Yod Hey Vav Hey. Some say it's a Waw rather than a Vav but who really knows for sure unless they lived in those days?

Yeshua was God manifest in human form. He's called the Arm of Yah. God always saves people with His ARM. Thus Yeshua(salvation) is the arm of God. Yeshua is the only name that saves us. When we say that Yeshua is Lord we do so unto the glory of the Father. No one has the Father unless they say the Son Yeshua is Lord because He is the Father manifest.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I have many names that describe me... dad, brother, husband, lover, friend etc. Each adds a dimension of who I am.

Likewise, God had to reveal who He was by His many names.

John D. Brey

I have many names that describe me... dad, brother, husband, lover, friend etc. Each adds a dimension of who I am.

Likewise, God had to reveal who He was by His many names.

. . . Some are descriptions. But what is the Name of God? Jew's call him Ha-Shem, "the Name." -----But what is it (ha-shem)?

John

Axe Elf

Prophet
"I am that I am" --God
"I yam what I yam" --Popeye

COINCIDENCE???

May ye be filled with the Holy Spinach...

But all kidding aside, why stop at the Bible when mining names for God? What about Zeus, Shiva, Allah, Krishna, Huwa, Vishnu, etc.?

A rose by any other name...

John D. Brey

But all kidding aside, why stop at the Bible when mining names for God? What about Zeus, Shiva, Allah, Krishna, Huwa, Vishnu, etc.?

. . . Do you think any of those are labels that circumscribe the living God?

John

Last edited:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Who is God? Well I'm just another person, really. You and I aren't so different. I just have more fans.

John D. Brey

You and I aren't so different. I just have more fans.

. . . By my stars there's an inverse relationship between quantity and quality. . . Which would imply the devil has more fans than God. . . You know, the broad is the path thing. You are a broad are you not?

John

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
. . . Then God has a lot of realities. Which symbol circumscribes the "life" (living aspect) of God?

I'm not sure what you mean by "God has a lot of realities." That He created other universes, other realities, along with this one? Within this universe, God has only one reality--which is perceived and interpreted in billions of ways.

I don't know of any symbols for God that would prevent Him from being a living God.

John D. Brey

I'm not sure what you mean by "God has a lot of realities." That He created other universes, other realities, along with this one? Within this universe, God has only one reality--which is perceived and interpreted in billions of ways.

I don't know of any symbols for God that would prevent Him from being a living God.

You said a name just circumscribes a particular reality. But God has a lot of different names, so I assume he has a lot of different realities to circumscribe?

John

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Johh
Yahweh, the Hebrew pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton, יְהוָה֙.
Grief, it's written in the Hebrew Scriptures, Genesis-to-Malachi, over 6,820 times! Evidence enough that God wanted us to use it.

"While the inspired writers refer to God by many titles and descriptive terms, such as “Almighty,” “Most High,” and “Lord,” the Tetragrammaton is the only personal name they use to identify God."

-- Excerpt from The Tetragrammaton and the Divine Name in the Hebrew Scriptures | NWT Study Bible

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
. . . Some are descriptions. But what is the Name of God? Jew's call him Ha-Shem, "the Name." -----But what is it (ha-shem)?

John
I call him Father. I never call my dad by his name. But, again, names given to by God was for description purposes IMO.

Axe Elf

Prophet
You said a name just circumscribes a particular reality. But God has a lot of different names, so I assume he has a lot of different realities to circumscribe?

OH! NOW I see what you were saying. I have suspected for a couple of posts now that you might be using the word "circumscribe" incorrectly, and now I'm all but sure of it.

"Circumscribe" means to restrict or constrict, to set limitations on. So when you asked me if I thought any of the names for God "circumscribed" the living God, I assumed you were asking me if I thought that any of the names for God restricted Him or limited Him in any way.

Thus, my response was that any name, any symbol, always and necessarily limits or restricts the True Reality of that which it represents.

But in this response, I can see that the word you were intending all along has been "describes" instead of circumscribes--because you thought I was saying that any symbol merely DESCRIBES the reality of that which it represents.

It all makes sense now. Hopefully we understand each other a bit better heretofore.

John D. Brey

OH! NOW I see what you were saying. I have suspected for a couple of posts now that you might be using the word "circumscribe" incorrectly, and now I'm all but sure of it.

"Circumscribe" means to restrict or constrict, to set limitations on. So when you asked me if I thought any of the names for God "circumscribed" the living God, I assumed you were asking me if I thought that any of the names for God restricted Him or limited Him in any way.

. . . I see the confusion. But to say a name circumscribes what it labels, i.e., restricts what it names to the meaning of the label, that is to say within the boundaries of the name, seems contextually correct.

John

Axe Elf

Prophet
. . . I see the confusion. But to say a name circumscribes what it labels, i.e., restricts what it names to the meaning of the label, that is to say within the boundaries of the name, seems contextually correct.

It is, and that has also been my point all along. A label, a name, a symbol, restricts the truth of the thing it represents, it places boundaries on an ineffable reality.

To praphrase Lao Tzu, the God that can be spoken is not the true God.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
. . . By my stars there's an inverse relationship between quantity and quality. . . Which would imply the devil has more fans than God. . . You know, the broad is the path thing. You are a broad are you not?

John
Lol no. There's more God fans than Devil fans. You're a low-quality God-fan, are you not?