• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Abrasax?

gnostic

The Lost One
Who is Abrasax?

I have heard of this name, but I've never encounter Abrasax in any of the couple of handful of gnostic literature that I have read.

Perhaps, giving you list of what I've read would you help you understand my level of knowledge and understanding.

Gospels of Thomas, Philip, and Mary of Magdalene. The Apocryphon of John, The Hypostasis of the Archons, On the Origin of the World, The Apocalypse of Adam, and Zostrinanos. The Thought of Norea, The Thunder, The Perfect Mind and The Exegesis on the Soul.

I have been meaning to read The Gospel of Truth, but never got around to it. Mostly I have been interested in the Gnostic cosmogony and cosmology.

Anyway, can someone tell me more about Abrasax? He seemed to be a very important aeon, but so far I have not come across him in my reading.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I don't know a great deal about Abrasax. Basically, i believe he was a fusion of the good God common to other Gnostic sects and the Demiurge. So, he encapsulated both what we would consider to be good and evil.

Pretty much all i know is also on the wiki page, there has been a recent addition to that page of a quote from Tertullian - the Church Father who later converted to Montanism;
'Afterwards broke out the heretic Basilides. He affirms that there is a supreme Deity, by name Abraxas, by whom was created Mind, which in Greek he calls Nous; that thence sprang the Word; that of Him issued Providence, Virtue, and Wisdom; that out of these subsequently were made Principalities, powers, and Angels; that there ensued infinite issues and processions of angels; that by these angels 365 heavens were formed, and the world, in honour of Abraxas, whose name, if computed, has in itself this number. Now, among the last of the angels, those who made this world, he places the God of the Jews latest, that is, the God of the Law and of the Prophets, whom he denies to be a God, but affirms to be an angel. To him, he says, was allotted the seed of Abraham, and accordingly he it was who transferred the sons of Israel from the land of Egypt into the land of Canaan; affirming him to be turbulent above the other angels, and accordingly given to the frequent arousing of seditions and wars, yes, and the shedding of human blood. Christ, moreover, he affirms to have been sent, not by this maker of the world, but by the above-named Abraxas; and to have come in a phantasm, and been destitute of the substance of flesh: that it was not He who suffered among the Jews, but that Simon was crucified in His stead: whence, again, there must be no believing on him who was crucified, lest one confess to having believed on Simon. Martyrdoms, he says, are not to be endured. The resurrection of the flesh he strenuously impugns, affirming that salvation has not been promised to bodies.'

It seems that Abrasax was the name of the Most High God of the Basilideans, but possibly also the collective name for the 365 Aeons that emanated from him. I think this may be very similar to the idea of the Pleroma found in other sects.

There is also a short summary of Him found here;
http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/bldefabraxas.htm

gnostic

The Lost One
You've just made me reminded me, with the brief info you've given me here, that Abrasax look like a Gnostic version of the antedulvian patriarch Enoch.

I don't really go for angel legend, but I've read somewhere, where according to Jewish angelic tradition or folklore, Enoch was transformed into the angel Metetron, who was even more powerful than the 7 archangels, and was often referred to as Prince of Angels. In the Book of Enoch (1 Enoch), Enoch's mortal presence among the fallen Watchers caused them to tremble with fear, since he was speaking on God's behalf, thus the Voice of God.

If I remember correctly, Enoch, or more precisely Metetron, was often referred to as the "Lesser YHWH", so Abrasax's "Most High God" have a similar ring to Metetron being the "Most High God".
Halcyon said:
but possibly also the collective name for the 365 Aeons that emanated from him.
Another similarity between Abrasax and Enoch/Metetron is that stayed on earth for 365 years.

It just make me how many of Abrasax were derived from Enoch/Metetron....but then again it just could be my wild imagination. *wry* :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
gnostic said:
Who is Abrasax?

I have heard of this name, but I've never encounter Abrasax in any of the couple of handful of gnostic literature that I have read.

Anyway, can someone tell me more about Abrasax? He seemed to be a very important aeon, but so far I have not come across him in my reading.
Are you talking about the gnostic god Abraxas?

My understanding was that he was a god who unified seeming contradictions, a god of paradox.

From The Seven Sermons to the Dead, as translated by Jung:

[FONT=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]God and devil are distinguished by the qualities of fullness and emptiness, generation and destruction. EFFECTIVENESS is common to both. Effectiveness joineth them. Effectiveness, therefore, standeth above both; is a god above god, since in its effect it uniteth fullness and emptiness. This is a god whom ye knew not, for mankind forgot it. We name it by its name ABRAXAS. It is more indefinite still than god and devil. That god may be distinguished from it, we name god HELIOS or sun . Abraxas is effect. Nothing standeth opposed to it but the ineffective; hence its effective nature freely unfoldeth itself. The ineffective is not, therefore resisteth not. Abraxas standeth above the sun and above the devil. It is improbable probability, unreal reality. Had the Pleroma a being, Abraxas would be its manifestation. It is the effective itself, nor any particular effect, but effect in general.

[/FONT][FONT=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]The power of Abraxas is twofold; but ye see it not, because for your eyes the warring opposites of this power are extinguished. What the god-sun speaketh is life. What the devil speaketh is death. But Abraxas speaketh that hallowed and accursed word which is life and death at the same time. Abraxas begetteth truth and lying, good and evil, light and darkness, in the same word and in the same act. Wherefore is Abraxas terrible.

[/FONT]
One of my email addresses is 'abraxan@..' in honor of Abraxas. :)

gnostic

The Lost One
The following text comes from The Legends of the Jews, which is translation of the Haggada. This is in Volume 1 Chapter 3, under the subtitle The Translation of Enoch.
THE TRANSLATION OF ENOCH

The sinfulness of men was the reason why Enoch was translated to heaven. Thus Enoch himself told Rabbi Ishmael. When the generation of the deluge transgressed, and spoke to God, saying, "Depart from us, for we do not desire to know Thy ways," Enoch was carried to heaven, to serve there as a witness that God was not a cruel God in spite of the destruction decreed upon all living beings on earth.

When Enoch, under the guidance of the angel 'Anpiel, was carried from earth to heaven, the holy beings, the ofanim, the seraphim, the cherubim, all those who move the throne of God, and the ministering spirits whose substance is of consuming fire, they all, at a distance of six hundred and fifty million and three hundred parasangs, noticed the presence of a human being, and they exclaimed: "Whence the odor of one born of woman? How comes he into the highest heaven of the fire-coruscating angels?" But God replied: "O My servants and hosts, ye, My cherubim, ofanim, and seraphim, let this not be an offense unto you, for all the children of men denied Me and My mighty dominion, and they paid homage to the idols, so that I transferred the Shekinah from earth to heaven. But this man Enoch is the elect of men. He has more faith, justice, and righteousness than all the rest, and he is the only reward I have derived from the terrestrial world."

Before Enoch could be admitted to service near the Divine throne, the gates of wisdom were opened unto him, and the gates of understanding, and of discernment, of life, peace, and the Shekinah, of strength and power, of might, loveliness, and grace, of humility and fear of sin. Equipped by God with extraordinary wisdom, sagacity, judgment, knowledge, learning, compassionateness, love, kindness, grace, humility, strength, power, might, splendor, beauty, shapeliness, and all other excellent qualities, beyond the endowment of any of the celestial beings, Enoch received, besides, many thousand blessings from God, and his height and his breadth became equal to the height and the breadth of the world, and thirty-six wings were attached to his body, to the right and to the left, each as large as the world, and three hundred and sixty-five thousand eyes were bestowed upon him, each brilliant as the sun. A magnificent throne was erected for him beside the gates of the seventh celestial palace, and a herald proclaimed throughout the heavens concerning him, who was henceforth to be called Metatron in the celestial regions: "I have appointed My servant Metatron as prince and chief over all the princes in My realm, with the exception only of the eight august and exalted princes that bear My name. Whatever angel has a request to prefer to Me, shall appear before Metatron, and what he will command at My bidding, ye must observe and do, for the prince of wisdom and the prince of understanding are at his service, and they will reveal unto him the sciences of the celestials and the terrestrials, the knowledge of the present order of the world and the knowledge of the future order of the world. Furthermore, I have made him the guardian of the treasures of the palaces in the heaven 'Arabot, and of the treasures of life that are in the highest heaven."

Out of the love He bore Enoch, God arrayed him in a magnificent garment, to which every kind of luminary in existence was attached, and a crown gleaming with forty-nine jewels, the splendor of which pierced to all parts of the seven heavens and to the four corners of the earth. In the presence of the heavenly family, He set this crown upon the head of Enoch, and called him "the little Lord." It bears also the letters by means of which heaven and earth were created, and seas and rivers, mountains and valleys, planets and constellations, lightning and thunder, snow and hail, storm and whirlwind--these and also all things needed in the world, and the mysteries of creation. Even the princes of the heavens, when they see Metatron, tremble before him, and prostrate themselves; his magnificence and majesty, the splendor and beauty radiating from him overwhelm them, even the wicked Samael, the greatest of them, even Gabriel the angel of the fire, Bardiel the angel of the hail, Ruhiel the angel of the wind, Barkiel the angel of the lightning, Za'miel the angel of the hurricane, Zakkiel the angel of the storm, Sui'el the angel of the earthquake, Za'fiel the angel of the showers, Ra'miel the angel of the thunder, Ra'shiel the angel of the whirlwind, Shalgiel the angel of the snow, Matriel the angel of the rain, Shamshiel the angel of the day, Leliel the angel of the night, Galgliel the angel of the solar system, Ofaniel the angel of the wheel of the moon, Kokabiel the angel of the stars, and Rahtiel the angel of the constellations.

When Enoch was transformed into Metatron, his body was turned into celestial fire--his flesh became flame, his veins fire, his bones glimmering coals, the light of his eyes heavenly brightness, his eyeballs torches of fire, his hair a flaring blaze, all his limbs and organs burning sparks, and his frame a consuming fire. To right of him sparkled flames of fire, to left of him burnt torches of fire, and on all sides he was engirdled by storm and whirlwind, hurricane and thundering.

Sorry, Halcyon.:sorry1: This is only a small section (2nd last) of Chapter 3, but still a fair bit of reading is involved. :cover:

gnostic

The Lost One
lilithu said:
Are you talking about the gnostic god Abraxas?
I don't know much at all about Abrasax, but I have seen the name before. That's why I'm asking any Gnostic who can supply me with info on Abrasax.

My understanding was that he was a god who unified seeming contradictions, a god of paradox.
I have never read any of Jung's works.

I would guess that an aeon is equal to a deity. Some gnostics referred to the aeon Sophia as the goddess of wisdom. So I supposed that Abrasax could be the "god of paradox", or that he is the "Aeon Paradox".

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
gnostic said:
I don't know much at all about Abrasax, but I have seen the name before. That's why I'm asking any Gnostic who can supply me with info on Abrasax.

I would guess that an aeon is equal to a deity. Some gnostics referred to the aeon Sophia as the goddess of wisdom. So I supposed that Abrasax could be the "god of paradox", or that he is the "Aeon Paradox".
Well, paradox was my word, my interpretation of him. From what I've read he's considered the god that unites opposites. Good and evil, light and dark, life and death. He transcends these categories. All of it comes from him. To me, not being a gnostic so much as someone who loves all religions, he reminds me of the God in Isaiah 45:7:
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And he also reminds me of the Tao. To contemplate Abraxas is to transcend the conditional.

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge of him but I would suggest that you read the Seven Sermons to the Dead:
http://www.freewebs.com/navanath/seven_sermons.html

Space Debris

gnostic said:
Who is Abrasax?

I have heard of this name, but I've never encounter Abrasax in any of the couple of handful of gnostic literature that I have read...

Abrasax, a character in Sethian Gnostic mythology, appears in three Nag Hammadi texts: the Gospel of the Egyptians, the Apocalypse of Adam, and the Book of Zostrianos. The Gospel of the Egyptians explains that Abrasax is one of four "ministers" (along with Gamaliel, Gabriel, and Samlo) who serve under the four Great Lights (Harmozel, Oroiael, Daviethe, and Eleleth). Abrasax corresponds to Eleleth, specifically. The Apocalypse of Adam indicates that the light-ministers, including Abrasax, have a role in assisting mankind's salvation.

Abraxas was also a character in Basilidean Gnostic mythology. Unfortunately, no original Basilidean writings survive, and the patristic sources offer conflicting information. Irenaeus and Hippolytus say Abraxas was the name of the Demiurge/chief Archon in the Basilidean system, while Pseudo-Tertullian says it was the name of the Supreme Being.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
gnostic said:
An Aeon is usually an aspect of God, but God can also be called an Aeon - the perfect Aeon. Aeon's are eternal realms, and are usually associated with aspects of God, like Wisdom, Forethought etc.

lilithu said:
From what I've read he's considered the god that unites opposites. Good and evil, light and dark, life and death. He transcends these categories. All of it comes from him.
That's my understanding too, he's a Pantheos - an "All-God", rather than the all good God of Christianity and Valentinianism.