• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sacred texts of your own and other traditions have you studied?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I studied the Q sayings (sayings of Jesus) in the New Testament and briefly read the rest of the New Testament.
Gospel of Thomas.
Some other gnostic gospels.

I read some parts of the Mahabharata including the Bhagavad Gita and some parts of the Upanishads (neither very seriously) .

Tried reading bits and pieces from the Qu'ran.

In my own tradition I read by Shrii Shrii Anandamurti:
[A Commentary on Ananda Sutram]
Ananda Sutram
Most: Subhasita Samgraha, differents parts
Ananda Vacanamrtam, different parts
Idea and Ideology
(+ some other books)

Some texts of the New Kadampa Tradition
Some texts of the Triratna Buddhist Community

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have studied the Q sayings (sayings of Jesus) in the New Testament and briefly read the rest of the New Testament.

I have read some parts of the Mahabharata including the Bhagavad Gita and some parts of the Upanishads (neither very seriously) .

I have tried reading bits and pieces from the Qu'ran.

In my own tradition I have read by Shrii Shrii Anandamurti:
Ananda Sutram
Idea and Ideology
(+ some other books)

Hm. I read most of The Lotus Sutra. I have to go back and re-read it since theres a lot of analogy involved. The Pali Sutra, there are over thousands. I read them in short sections but by no means can I study them all.

Ive read the bible twice, once when I was young and the other four someodd years ago. As for study, I studied both but only looked into the suttsa more serious. I read a part of the Quran, some of the Upanishads, and thats pretty much it. Everything else are articles, commentaries, and a few fun stuff.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The Heart Sutra is probably the only one that I resonate the most with. Ever since I heard a bell once that put it into perspective.

I read Dogen although don't expect me to explain it. I do , and I don't at the same time. *Grin*

I found the Blue Cliff records to be especially interesting.

Lastly though it's not really a "scripture", I found the parable of the Chinese farmer to be a foundation to reflect upon whenever I find myself in conflict or am in the mood of uncertainty.

I also enjoy superficially the " flavor" that other religions bring to the table.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I'm 80 yrs old...started with the Catholic stuff and in the past have sampled more than I can remember. And right now I am sampling Bahai, the pseudo belief in nothing, at least to me.
Now I study Earth's Stuff and the Life that results from it.
And the Cosmos is pretty interesting also, I can't see the end of it, anywhere !
Some little part of myself may sometime travel there, so, join you there, later.

Flame

Beware
Tanakh
Bible
Quran
The Book of The Law
Shakta Upanishads
Kalika Purana
Devi Gita
Tao Te Ching

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I've studied the Koran, the teachings of Buddha, the Bible, writings of the Saints, and the Catechism. I've studied Hindu asceticism and proverbs. I've studied and practiced Shintoism and Shamanism.

I've also studied my Journal. I consider it a sacred text! :p

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I've studied a LOT of Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy). Also the Prophets and Writings (what Christians call the Old Testament. I have read a bit of the Talmud (just not my bag of tricks).

Because I live in a Christian culture, I have read a good deal of the Christian Scriptures. Also the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Book of Mormon.

I have read the Quran and some of the Hadiths.

I have read the Tao Te Ching, and Chuang Tzu's writings

I have read some portions of Confucius' Analects.

I have read some of the Buddhist sutras, such as the Heart Sutra.

I have read a gazillion Zen/Ch'an Buddhism stories.

I have studied Native American mythologies and basic spirituality, taught to me both orally by medicine men and by reading books.

Also worth noting:

Drawing Down the Moon -- a scientific study of neo-paganism and magick

Urantia Book (skimmed it)

Still on my to-do list:

The Upanishads and Vedas (especially the Bhagavad Gita)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I've studied a LOT of Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy). Also the Prophets and Writings (what Christians call the Old Testament. I have read a bit of the Talmud (just not my bag of tricks).

Because I live in a Christian culture, I have read a good deal of the Christian Scriptures. Also the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Book of Mormon.

I have read the Quran and some of the Hadiths.

I have read the Tao Te Ching, and Chuang Tzu's writings

I have read some portions of Confucius' Analects.

I have read some of the Buddhist sutras, such as the Heart Sutra.

I have read a gazillion Zen/Ch'an Buddhism stories.

I have studied Native American mythologies and basic spirituality, taught to me both orally by medicine men and by reading books.

Also worth noting:

Drawing Down the Moon -- a scientific study of neo-paganism and magick

Urantia Book (skimmed it)

Still on my to-do list:

The Upanishads and Vedas (especially the Bhagavad Gita)
Wow! I am genuinely impressed. I mean, I'm blown away.

Jane.Doe

I LOVE studying other faiths! My preference is to go out and talk to people about what they believe, but I do also read books. Books have the advantage of being the formal thing, but I find they have disadvantage of me (an outsider) quite possibly misunderstanding them compared to how a educated believer would.

Protestant Bible, cover to cover.
Sections of the Apyprophya
All LDS specific scriptures (Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, D&C).
Sections of Catholic Catechism (technically not a holy book, but a difficult read, so I'm going to include it anyways).
Sections fo the Quran (I have problems getting a good English translation)
Tao Te Ching cover-to-cover and most other main Taoist writing (my favorite non-Christian writings by far)
Sections of Hindu texts / legends.
Sections of several Scientology books
Some Wiccan lore
Hindu
JW specific writings
I do like sections of Confucius' writing.
Some Baha'i readings (especially the newer stuff)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I studied the Q sayings (sayings of Jesus) in the New Testament and briefly read the rest of the New Testament.
Gospel of Thomas.

I read some parts of the Mahabharata including the Bhagavad Gita and some parts of the Upanishads (neither very seriously) .

Ananda Sutram
Idea and Ideology
(+ some other books)

Hinduism
Gita. Mahabharata. Upanisads. Rig Veda. Naya sutra. Vaiseshika sutra. Yoga sutra. Samkhya karika. Devi Mahatya. Selections of Bhakti poetry.
Buddhism
Selections of Nikayas compiled by Bhikku Bodhi. Questions of king Milinda. Madhyamika by Nagarjuna.
Christianity
All the Bible.
Islam
Quran (half.. ongoing)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hmmmmm....

The first 6 or 7 books by Carlos Castaneda.
The Bardo Thodol/Tibetan Book of the Dead
The Nine Ways of Bön
The Upanishads
The Bhagavad-Gita
Srimad-Bhagavatam (read several volumes)
Tao-te-Ching
Norse Mythology (was quite an area of interest in my younger days)
- The Nibelungenlied
- The Poetic Edda
- The Prose Edda of Snorri Sturluson
Several Scientology titles
The Bible (read 2x skimmed many times)
The Book of Mormon
A couple of Bahai titles that were quite forgettable.
The Qur'an (read 1/2 dozen English translations)
The Hadiths (read several volumes before my brain imploded).
Islamic Jurisprudence (have read many different angles on issues by the major ideological camps within Islam)
The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and subsequent revelations in the series) by Douglas Adams
The Tiger's Fang by Sri Paul Twitchell (Eckankar) (This one rang a bell in my young imagination.)

for what it's worth:
Have also read numerous books by/about Edgar Cayce (but not in many years)

Eariz

You hate what you love and love what you hate.
There are just way too many to list, I've tried to dip my toes on everything I can get my hands on (even stretching out money to afford hard-to-get texts)

The Bible (which itself is a library of individual texts - from the Tanakh to the Gospels to the letters of Fraud-Paul to the book of Revelation - all badly translated) is a place most Westerners start off (even though many aren't familiar with the complexities of it, they stick to the Church lifestyle and maybe read from it occasionally and interpret what they've read to their own personal life)
But then you've got the many, many texts of the early Gnostic sects (also too much to list individually) - historically the Nag Hammadi Libary was one of those big finds to soak into, as well as books like the three of Enoch and the Esdras.

Then there is the Qur'an (which really grows on you personally, even outside of Islam itself), Liber Al Vel Legis, the Vedas, Upanishads, the Gita, the Sutras, the many Tantras, the Zend-Avesta, Popol Vuh, works of Plato (and his contemporaries), the ancient Egyptian Papyri, Gilgamesh, many Alchemical texts, many magic texts, many writings of Sufi's, not so much of the Buddhist texts (but I have studied the Tibetan Book of the Dead like many Westerners), Tao-te-ching and I Ching, ancient mystery traditions/religions/cults (way to many to list), writings in the atheist/psychology areas around mysticism and spirituality, many books of Theosophy (starting with Blavatsky), Urantia Book, Oahspe, Gurdjieff, then many books by 20th century occultists from Aleister Crowley to Austin Spare to Peter Carroll, to Kenneth Grant, then to texts like the Principia Discordia.

I'm now at the point of trying to find texts from cultures I haven't previously heard of :sleeping:

Then through listening and reading stuff from atheists and people that are anti-religion, I have grown even more interested in learning more and more about the history of religion and spirituality, it's intriguing. I read a lot about Science too but try and keep scientific skepticism towards investment in theories, I have learnt a lot about science through religion and vice versa. Secularism only works with tolerance.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Various Pali Suttas
various Mahayana texts (mostly Chan/Zen)
Dao Te Ching
Chuangzi
I Ching
Analects of Confucius
Taijitu shuo
Bhaghavad Gita
Some Upanishads
Some of the Samkhaya Karika
Old and New Testaments (several times)
Some Gnostic texts and pseudopigrapha
Quran
Various ancient Egyptian texts
Texts of my Mercuræn Order
various mythologies and classic texts

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have copies of 'Srimad Bhagawat Purna' and Tulsi Das' 'Sri Rama Charit Manas'. I have a Hare-Krishna version of 'BhagadGita' savied on my computer as also BG Tilak's 'Geeta Rahasya'. The Bhagawat Purana was published before I was born (I am 76 year old now). I use only 'BhagawadGita' frequently. The essence of the first two books is imprinted in my mind from childhood reading. I have not had the courage to tackle BG Tilak's 'Gita Rahasya' till now. I know it will be the most iconoclastic and explosive (what I have learnt about Tilak from reading his other books). Hope I read it before Aupmanyav passes away.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Remember that comparative religion is my "thing." :) I've spent my whole life comparing and contrasting. I find religion really fascinating.
I'm more attracted to comparing and understanding 'reform movements' (except perhaps Scientology) and their main differences between the older traditions.

So I'm interested in movements like Jainism, Buddhism, Ananda Marga and why they broke away from their religious environment but also in movements like New Kadampa Tradition and Triratna Buddhist Community and why they broke away from mainstream Buddhism or Seventh Day Adventists and Jehova Witnesses and why they broke away from mainstream Christianity.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Gospel of Thomas.

Ananda Sutram
Idea and Ideology
(+ some other books)

The Baha'i Writings
The Bible
The Quran
Various Buddhist Sutras
Bhagavad Gita

Tumah

Veteran Member
Maybe once I finish my religion's important writing, I'll have time for other religions'.