• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religion has Killed the Most...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In the last 2000 years.

Not surprisingly, it's Christianity. Way to end up on top for a peaceful religion.
Unfortunately not far behind is Atheism as a Communist ideology.

Imagine how many folks are not alive today because of Christianity and Communism.
Though perhaps we should thank them for limiting the drain on our natural resources.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, people have done some heinous things in the name of religion. There's no doubt.

I think what's more important than what religion has killed is what religion currently kills. We can learn from the past, but we can't change it. What we can change is what's happening in the present based on our experiences in the past.

I see nothing productive in raking a religion over the coals now for what has happened in the past.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not watching the video - watching random videos isn't really my thing - but did the person who put this together properly standardize their data based on the human population of each era? Oh, and were they mindful in general of how difficult it is to really know what the human population was worldwide for the last two thousand years of human history given census documentation wasn't really a thing for most of that? I'm guessing their assessment is predictably Eurocentric given the lack of data for indigenous populations in, say, the Americas.

Also, what @SalixIncendium said. What's the point of doing this?

Colt

In the last 2000 years.

Not surprisingly, it's Christianity. Way to end up on top for a peaceful religion.

Imagine how many folks are not alive today because of Christianity and Communism.
Though perhaps we should thank them for limiting the drain on our natural resources.
The pre-cross religion of Jesus didn't call for killing anyone. The institutional church has been complicit and members, but even then the Christian religion doesn't call for killing people.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think Islam takes the cake for religious violence. There's nothing in Christianity that calls for violence (that would go quite against the example of its founder), but Islam is a different story. Muhammad himself was a warlord and raider who killed many people.

Funny in what you say is true but it didn't seem to matter. Somehow God ended up being used by Christianity to justify violence.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yeah, people have done some heinous things in the name of religion. There's no doubt.

I think what's more important than what religion has killed is what religion currently kills. We can learn from the past, but we can't change it. What we can change is what's happening in the present based on our experiences in the past.

I see nothing productive in raking a religion over the coals now for what has happened in the past.

No one's raking I just found it interesting as I've seen this debated on the forums. Now there is an available reference.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We cannot possibly know how many human sacrifices have been carried out in history.

I have no doubt those religions win.

Yes, this only covers the last two thousand years but the point being the population of the planet prior to that really didn't have the numbers to compete.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not watching the video - watching random videos isn't really my thing - but did the person who put this together properly standardize their data based on the human population of each era? Oh, and were they mindful in general of how difficult it is to really know what the human population was worldwide for the last two thousand years of human history given census documentation wasn't really a thing for most of that? I'm guessing their assessment is predictably Eurocentric given the lack of data for indigenous populations in, say, the Americas.

There is a link on the youtube video which references all of that if you are really interested.

Knowledge. I've seen it debated before so now you have knowledge to support it if you want to hold a particular position.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
We cannot possibly know how many human sacrifices have been carried out in history.

I have no doubt those religions win.

That's a good point. Cultures like the Aztec Empire come to mind

"With scant archeological evidence, it is hard to know how many Aztecs died under the sacrificial knife. Many reputable scholars today put the number between 20,000 and 250,000 per year for the whole Aztec Empire. All Aztecs cities contained temples dedicated to their gods and all of them saw human sacrifices. Whatever the total was, we know from both the Aztecs and the Spanish that many human beings lost their lives as a result of human sacrifices. We will probably never know exactly how many."

I think one thing that made the atrocities under Christianity so numerous was simply the popularity and scope of the religion. If the Aztec Empire had continued to expand northward before first contact with the west had taken place, their religious practices would have become more widespread as well. That said, their religious practices have deep roots. Who knows how long mass human sacrifices had been going on in the name of their gods

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The pre-cross religion of Jesus didn't call for killing anyone. The institutional church has been complicit and members, but even then the Christian religion doesn't call for killing people.

Funny how it worked out then.
Don't know why myself but if you'd care to offer a theory.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's a good point. Cultures like the Aztec Empire come to mind

"With scant archeological evidence, it is hard to know how many Aztecs died under the sacrificial knife. Many reputable scholars today put the number between 20,000 and 250,000 per year for the whole Aztec Empire. All Aztecs cities contained temples dedicated to their gods and all of them saw human sacrifices. Whatever the total was, we know from both the Aztecs and the Spanish that many human beings lost their lives as a result of human sacrifices. We will probably never know exactly how many."

I think one thing that made the atrocities under Christianity so numerous was simply the popularity and scope of the religion. If the Aztec Empire had continued to expand northward before first contact with the west had taken place, their religious practices would have become more widespread as well. That said, their religious practices have deep roots. Who knows how long mass human sacrifices had been going on in the name of their gods

Sure, good point maybe. The more successful your civilization, the more bones you leave behind.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

So... is there a connection? what are the common attributes among of the christian leadership and the atheist leadership which produces the harmful behavior?

if this can be determined, I think a lot can be learned and applied towards making the world a more peaceful place for everyone. Both on the micro and macro scale.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

the narrator of the OPs video gets his numbers from chapter seven of this book published in 2013:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So... is there a connection? what are the common attributes among of the christian leadership and the atheist leadership which produces the harmful behavior?

if this can be determined, I think a lot can be learned and applied towards making the world a more peaceful place for everyone. Both on the micro and macro scale.

IDK, maybe it's political in nature. Maybe because they became the state sanctified belief. Getting the power of the state behind your belief system does not seem beneficial to humanity. Even atheism, using the power of government to enforce it.