• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Of the World's Religions Is Most Practical?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I haven't the foggiest idea how many will or will not. Why does matter for my position to have merit? You lost me...:confused:
You said I was going by the exception and not the rule. Whether something is the exception or the rule depends on numbers.

There are about 6.5 billion people on this earth at this moment. Only 2.1 billion of them are Christian. So either over two-thirds of the people alive today are going to hell because they don't believe the right things. Or those non-Christians who "deserve" to be saved will be saved anyway, despite their "wrong" beliefs. If only a spattering of these people make it into heaven, then yes, they're the exception. But if even half of these people make it into heaven, then they're no longer the exception but the rule. If that's the case, then clearly "right belief" is no the most important factor for making it into heaven.

I am making no such connection. What I said applies whether you are catholic or not. If you think sincerity is what is most important then that's fine, but I do not. I believe sincerity only takes you so far. I'm rather suprised you would think otherwise.
Victor, you're the one who inserted "sincerity" midway into this conversation. As I said in the other thread, I don't judge religions by their beliefs. I do judge religions by what you call their "fruits." The only thing I've been arguing is that belief is not the most important factor, based on the reasoning that I spelled out above.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
There are about 6.5 billion people on this earth at this moment. Only 2.1 billion of them are Christian. So either over two-thirds of the people alive today are going to hell because they don't believe the right things. Or those non-Christians who "deserve" to be saved will be saved anyway, despite their "wrong" beliefs.
Or acceptance of Jesus Christ as one's Savior is required in order to receive all of the blessings God has promised, but the brief time on Earth may not the only opportunity people will have to get it right, and Heaven has varying degrees of glory (i.e. differing rewards for different levels of faithfulness), meaning that a good person need not accept Christ in order to attain at least some eternal reward.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
You said I was going by the exception and not the rule. Whether something is the exception or the rule depends on numbers.

There are about 6.5 billion people on this earth at this moment. Only 2.1 billion of them are Christian. So either over two-thirds of the people alive today are going to hell because they don't believe the right things. Or those non-Christians who "deserve" to be saved will be saved anyway, despite their "wrong" beliefs. If only a spattering of these people make it into heaven, then yes, they're the exception. But if even half of these people make it into heaven, then they're no longer the exception but the rule. If that's the case, then clearly "right belief" is no the most important factor for making it into heaven.
You misunderstood me. By exception, I was talking about believing something and making it the standard. That's why I used the thief on the cross as an example. Some folks believe that all that is needed is "faith" because that is all the theif did to get saved. He didn't get baptized, he didn't do any works, he didn't do anything but believe. Applying his situation as a standard is bad theology, bad philosophy, bad reasoning, no matter how you slice it.

I still don't get why numbers even matter. If "right belief" isn't the most important and sincerity is, then sincerity should trump "right belief" under normal conditions (full knowledge, complete consent, grave matter, etc.) that I noted earlier. If a person is fully aware that something is wrong, consents to it, and actually does it, could any amount of sincerity trump it? If it can't, then I can't see what you say holding any water.
Victor, you're the one who inserted "sincerity" midway into this conversation. As I said in the other thread, I don't judge religions by their beliefs. I do judge religions by what you call their "fruits." The only thing I've been arguing is that belief is not the most important factor, based on the reasoning that I spelled out above.
See post #69......I was really just responding to your post and trying to stick with the same language to eliminate any confusion. I guess that didn't go so well. :(
Well I guess we disagree. Belief is what I use as a measuring stick. Fruits may or may not be in accordance with their beliefs. If bad fruits are produced, then I will rest on their beliefs to either confirm those bad fruits or point them out as flaws of the believers. If good fruits are produced, then that's great but if their belief system teaches violence, hate, etc. then they are not in accordance to their beliefs. Either way, their actions will be measured by what they themselves consider a standard.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
I would argue Zoroastrianism but I guess you all expected that, right? Reform Judaism comes a close second with Reconstructionist Judaism third. (NOTE Reconstructionist Judaism is not to be confused with Reconstructionist Christianity.)

lombas

Society of Brethren
My religion is very practical.

Very, very, very practical.

Did I say it's practical?

lombas

Society of Brethren
The obvious question follows:

What's your religion? (Other than cookies, judging by your avatar! ;) )

It goes from Taoism over Deism to Quakerism.

You could say it's just me. But that would take a hell of a lot of authority away from it, now would it?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
It goes from Taoism over Deism to Quakerism.

You could say it's just me. But that would take a hell of a lot of authority away from it, now would it?

Hehee, ultimately, that's all the authority most of our religions have. (I know it would apply to mine, most certainly.) It still deserves to be treated with respect!

gnostic

The Lost One
Teletubbie-ism.

What can be more practical than have antenna on the head TV monitor on the belly? You don't even need a remote control to turn the channel!