• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Of the World's Religions Is Most Practical?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Which religion is the most practical? Why, how, or in what way is it the most practical?

How come you don't think Girls On Trampolines is the most practical? *pouts*

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Which religion is the most practical? Why, how, or in what way is it the most practical?
I think mine is...:D
It works somewhat similar to our American goverment system. Ideas from all over are thrown in and they either make it to the top or they don't. It's really practical when it comes to people disagreeing.
Ergonomics 101 says it's really bad on your back and eyes.

nutshell

Liberal Judaism. Seems you can have a spiritual belief while doing whatever you want, giving the believer the benefits of both.

There currently are not enough trampolines in production.

BruceDLimber

Depends on what measuring stick you use!

Personally, I favor (unsurprisingly) the Baha'i Faith because its teachings are specifically for this Age, rather than some other millenia ago!

Best, :)

Bruce

Flappycat

Reform Judaism. It's everything that a religion should be and very little that a religion shouldn't be. There are even some who rank themselves as agnostics, and I generally consider the lot pretty cool.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Which Of the World's Religions Is Most Practical?
The one that you start for and about yourself.

Quiddity

Phil, can you clarify what you mean by practical. It seems I may have misunderstood what you meant by it. Seeing the posts thus far, it seems most took it as: Which Religion is more tolerant?

That doesn't necessarily mean practical. In fact being too tolerant can create quite a few problems.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Unitarian Universalism, obviously. UU is most practical among all other religions because it makes room for many different belief systems. If you define practical as "having or indicating an awareness of things as they really are" then UU is the obvious choice because we recognize how things really are: there are different ideas and beliefs and the wisdom in each.

Flappycat

Nope. Reform Judaism is actually quite a sensible religion overall. And there's no such thing as "too tolerant," Victor.

Flappycat

That has nothing to do with tolerance, in this context. When we say "tolerance" in this context, we are referring to other people's beliefs, way of life, and personal choices.

Aasimar

Atheist
Sure there is......I have ZERO tolerance for rape.

Bah. In the general sense of rape sure, but let's say someone has a gun to the head of someone who believes that if they lose their virginity they are damned. The man with the gun, who you cannot get to by the way and it's a 50 cal, so it's gonna blow a big hole in the person (You can't jump in the way of the bullet, besides he has more) Tell you to rape the woman or he will kill her. She begs you not to rape her because she believes she will go to hell (Not willing to partake aka. Rape) How would you respond. I know this is a big hypothetical, and of course I despise rape as a concept, but in this case I would rape the woman, what about you? This kinda is a double question though, do you respect her belief that she will go to hell because she won't be a virgin, even though it is your belief that you must act to preserve life? Argh, life is so mean to absolutes :)

Aasimar

Atheist
Oh yeah, and I think Agnosticism is the least tolerant of all religions. Because I am one, and I think religion is ridiculous and dangerous, but those are my own personal feelings. However being intolerant and the actions you take because of that intolerance are 2 separate things.

Quiddity

That has nothing to do with tolerance, in this context. When we say "tolerance" in this context, we are referring to other people's beliefs, way of life, and personal choices.

Being opposed to rape is completely connected to my personal beliefs. That's just one of many. Fortunately there is very few that argue for it's legalization. If rape lacked emperical data I'd still be opposed to it.

Quiddity

Bah. In the general sense of rape sure, but let's say someone has a gun to the head of someone who believes that if they lose their virginity they are damned. The man with the gun, who you cannot get to by the way and it's a 50 cal, so it's gonna blow a big hole in the person (You can't jump in the way of the bullet, besides he has more) Tell you to rape the woman or he will kill her. She begs you not to rape her because she believes she will go to hell (Not willing to partake aka. Rape) How would you respond. I know this is a big hypothetical, and of course I despise rape as a concept, but in this case I would rape the woman, what about you? This kinda is a double question though, do you respect her belief that she will go to hell because she won't be a virgin, even though it is your belief that you must act to preserve life? Argh, life is so mean to absolutes :)

Fortunately I don't hold to such a strict view of absolutes. ;)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Oh yeah, and I think Agnosticism is the least tolerant of all religions. Because I am one, and I think religion is ridiculous and dangerous, but those are my own personal feelings. However being intolerant and the actions you take because of that intolerance are 2 separate things.

There's also the option of Agnostisim causing one to understand and empathize with people of all paths while admitting to yourself and others that you believe it to be unfounded in fact and potentionally dangerous- but, then again, one could also believe this of humans in general.

While this may casue some to be very shocked, I tend to agree with Victor about the 'there can be ill effects from too much tolerance' thing. While I can sympathize with the idea of there being no such thing, I am not sure if there are things that should be tolerated because they lead to hurting the innocent. (Or even the not-so-innocent... Hopefully, they have a similar right to be protected, as well.)

That said, I believe Reform Judaism and UUism are the world's 'most practical' religions. Both seek to expand wisdom and better the world.