• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which major religions celebrate with alcohol?

Iknarf

I am looking into alcohol in different religions, and am being information-overloaded by google!

I'd like to work out first the major religions that permit the consumtion of alcohol,
then work out which religious festivals/holidays/events people drink at.

so far its proving a slight grey area...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, the most obvious one is Christianity, especially Catholicism, which uses wine at every Mass.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
First, welcome to RF.

Sikhism and Islam, Bahá'ís, Rastafari, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists and Jains (I think) forbid the use of alcohol in a recreational way.

There are numbers of Hindus, Buddhists and other groups who also do not consume alcohol - but there are Hindus and Buddhists (as well as Mormons, Muslims, Sikhs, Rastafari and more) who do drink. I am a Hindu who does not consume alcohol.

Major world religions that people can drink in are Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Christianity, but some, even many adherents of other religions still drink. Many Neopagans also drink alcohol, too.

I know many Jewish people drink at Purim, but that's about all I know. I've never really been attracted to alcohol myself, though. Perhaps another can be of more help than I can.

May I ask why you are after this information?

Iknarf

wow thanks,
i'm still curious as to the religious events that could involve alcohol/bars.

I know that bat/bar mitzvahs sometimes do, christian wedding receptions etc. i'm just not familiar with many other events than that.

Erebus

Perhaps have a look into Tantra. I know that some tantrics encourage alcohol consumption during ritual, but my knowledge of Tantra is shamefully little.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Judaism. The Hebrew Bible has some very lovely passages about wine and its effects. Jews bless and drink wine each week when they receive the Sabbath, and drink wine in most of the holidays, in particular in the Jewish holiday of Purim, it is mandatory to get **** faced.

Iknarf

Sorry i just realised i didnt answer your questions Odion.

I am a full time bar tender, I think the only way to hold any profession in grace is through education in all areas.

Thanks Caladan, starting to build up a bigger picture of things now.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Catholics celebrate St Patrick's Day at bars! And that is the truth.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sorry i just realised i didnt answer your questions Odion.

I am a full time bar tender, I think the only way to hold any profession in grace is through education in all areas.

No worries, sorry I can't help more though. Drinking has never been my forte though. :D

Do you hold a religion yourself?

dust1n

Zindīq
I know alcohol is widely utilized in Alcoholism. Alcoholics around the world regularly participate in the ritual.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Kemetic belief includes alcohol as part of worship and celebrations. I am pretty certain other religions do as well.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Some Christian denominations teach abstinence from alcohol, such as mine. I don't think any Christian denominations endorse being drunk. However, my observation is that members of certain Christian faiths tend to be more likely to get drunk than members of other denominations.

AuroraWillow

Druid of the Olive
A number of Pagan paths use alcohol in large and small rituals as part of a feast and/or as offerings.

I tend to use a lot of wine and ale, personally.

Mystical Sadhu

Tantra Instructor
Actual tantra does not use any intoxicants. The oral and written matters of tantrika practice speak of the inebriation of spiritual splendors, the nectars of spiritual bliss, though such has nothing to do with imbibing intoxicants nor of sex.

Perhaps have a look into Tantra. I know that some tantrics encourage alcohol consumption during ritual, but my knowledge of Tantra is shamefully little.

Tol

Tol
I know alcohol is widely utilized in Alcoholism. Alcoholics around the world regularly participate in the ritual.

I had a similar thought, and would imagine that alcohol is consumed by at least some social groups within traditions that otherwise prohibit it.

With the Left-Hand Path, since intoxicants can Self-defeat, this is understood as something to be mindful of and avoided.