• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which do you ascribe to God more?

PhileoTruth

Lover of the Truth
Which do you ascribe to God more: your victories or your defeats? Is it realistic to only expect good of God? Likewise, is it not blasphemy to ascribe only evil to God?

I take my victories as praised gifts, and defeats the effect of my own causalities. The gods have a path set for their own directives and it is our duty as servants to act in part with regards to those directives. Failure to do so can only lead to omens of impending failure.

ellenjanuary

Every point in my early life when it could have gone either way, god was there to push me down the stairs. :D

Now, I have a ritual to pray; lest some spontaneous miraculousness occur. Being a natural taoist, I don't push. And one cannot blasphemy against god, only against religion.

bhaktajan

I am an absolute theist.

God is already facilitating all material pursuits.

The material Matter & energy cosmos are our play ground, where we are free to become champion Ballroom dancers or a Brain surgeon or a rocket scientist or a Dictator.

But the material laws allow freewill only to the best of our own ability & intitiative & level of conscious good-will ---this free-will also gets us Arrested by authorities & circumstances because we are "on our own recognisance" while taking birth after birth since time immemeorial here whitin the transceint material World.

We are spirit souls in the material world.

God facilitates us, spirit souls, our surjourn outside his abode, to seek "the Supreme Personality of Godhead" somewhere outside God's personal transcendent precincts.

God facilitates us, spirit souls to be free spirit souls in the temporal/always changing material world.

Spirit (soul) = eternal/cognate/blissfull.
Material (space/Time/forms) = created/maintained/desolved.
God = The transcendent "the Supreme Personality of Godhead"; the spiritural self-incarnated Persona whose own birth-right is his own embodiment as the original reservoir wellspring of personal opulences, namely, God is the most wealthiest, strongest, most intelligent, most famous, most handsome and most renounced Persona.

We spirit souls are a atomic sized part and parcel Individual with the same qualities as God . . . but in a very limited atomically scaled-down degree ---our independence from the Supreme-Soul's abode gets us into all sorts of whimsical and enmass karmic scenarios, since time-immememorial. This independence leaves us souls seeking for basic denominators:
1 eat
2 sleep
3 mate
4 defend

All forms of life perfrom these 4 catagories of work/Acts.

When we thing that their is no further sublime & profound truth above these four acts we are bestial and thus bound to Karma (acts) and karma's 're-actions (ugra-karma)' with nothing to look forward to except the repetition of the same ad-infinitum, birth after birth.

carebeargiver

I know that the good things that happen to me are from GOD. the bad things? well, I think a lot of the time, even if the bad things are not directly from Him (i.e. my own bad choices, or even satan) I believe GOD uses those things to teach me. "Blaming" comes from anger or even hate, and I don't think we should approach GOD that way. I don't know how the other religions roll, but as far as GOD, I think we should try to understand His plan for us, without blaming.

I am an absolute theist.

God is already facilitating all material pursuits.

The material Matter & energy cosmos are our play ground, where we are free to become champion Ballroom dancers or a Brain surgeon or a rocket scientist or a Dictator.

But the material laws allow freewill only to the best of our own ability & intitiative & level of conscious good-will ---this free-will also gets us Arrested by authorities & circumstances because we are "on our own recognisance" while taking birth after birth since time immemeorial here whitin the transceint material World.

We are spirit souls in the material world.

God facilitates us, spirit souls, our surjourn outside his abode, to seek "the Supreme Personality of Godhead" somewhere outside God's personal transcendent precincts.

God facilitates us, spirit souls to be free spirit souls in the temporal/always changing material world.

Spirit (soul) = eternal/cognate/blissfull.
Material (space/Time/forms) = created/maintained/desolved.
God = The transcendent "the Supreme Personality of Godhead"; the spiritural self-incarnated Persona whose own birth-right is his own embodiment as the original reservoir wellspring of personal opulences, namely, God is the most wealthiest, strongest, most intelligent, most famous, most handsome and most renounced Persona.

We spirit souls are a atomic sized part and parcel Individual with the same qualities as God . . . but in a very limited atomically scaled-down degree ---our independence from the Supreme-Soul's abode gets us into all sorts of whimsical and enmass karmic scenarios, since time-immememorial. This independence leaves us souls seeking for basic denominators:
1 eat
2 sleep
3 mate
4 defend

All forms of life perfrom these 4 catagories of work/Acts.

When we thing that their is no further sublime & profound truth above these four acts we are bestial and thus bound to Karma (acts) and karma's 're-actions (ugra-karma)' with nothing to look forward to except the repetition of the same ad-infinitum, birth after birth.

Interesting position. Explain what you mean by "spirit souls are a atomic sized part and parcel Individual with the same qualities as God . . . but in a very limited atomically scaled-down degree"

Are you saying in a pandiestic manner that we are all God, or that we rival God in a power paradigm?

Dezzie

Which do you ascribe to God more: your victories or your defeats? Is it realistic to only expect good of God? Likewise, is it not blasphemy to ascribe only evil to God?

My victories... most definitely. As far as my defeats, those are my fault for not working harder. Sometimes I look at my defeats as punishments as well for wrongs I may have committed. I don't blame the punishments on God, but rather myself.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
It is entirely realistic to expect only good of God, if one of God's supposed attributes is "all-loving."

bhaktajan

Interesting position. Explain what you mean by "spirit souls are a atomic sized part and parcel Individual with the same qualities as God . . . but in a very limited atomically scaled-down degree"

Are you saying in a pandiestic manner that we are all God, or that we rival God in a power paradigm?

Neither 'pan-diesticcally', nor, 'rival God in a power paradigm'.

By 'atomic' I am simply indicating very-very-finitely tiny; as in atomic-sized; atomically-small; infitestimal.

Just as the hands & feet serve the master of the body (oneself); so also we tiny souls in a material body must serve the greater good.

The soul that is lost in the material world must learn and practice personal ettiquettes that ultimately will qualify our spirit-being to re-join God's association.

God is Great; God's bodily luster is the original Light whence all spirt-souls eminate, for indeed, we are made of a spark of that luminence that is known as spirit-soul ---we tiny spirit-souls are servants of the whole.

Also, it can be observed:
We are servants of the whole.
All parts and parcels are servants of the whole.

We share all the same "Qualities" the God Personally possesses ---BUT,
we do not possess it the same quantity as God possesses.

The qualities I refer to are those known as "Persona".

God is the Original Persona ---He is full in all 6 famous 'Personality' opulences; for God is a Person. We humans are the epitome of bestial creatures that can recognise ('cognise') our orientation in the cosmos as eaters/sleepers/mating/defensive ---seeking out the personal association of God's pastimes.

Karma (acts) in the material world are laws of nature that act without prejudice nor favoritism ---karma payback (aka, fruits-of-actions, karma-phalam) occurs as when 'Electricity takes the path of least resistance' ---so karma-phalam occurs whenever the material circumstances allow for the 'perfect storm' that indeed accomplishes multiple purposes in one stroke.

A 'perfect storm' of karma-phalam usually accomplishes multiple purposes in one stroke.
But also,
Karma-phalam can be an isolated singular experence to a victim by their own devices.

In either case, mass-karmic payback; or, personal karmic payback is due to engrossed investment of our hard works that were self-initiative.

Remember:
Karmic payback can be of two types: Favorable, and, Un-favorable.

examples:
Favorable Karmic payback = ala, "No-pain; no gain" ---after hardwork & study & practice one is awarded for excellence.

versus

Un-Favorable Karmic payback = rape a woman during a siege of a neighboring village during a medieval military campaign ---be born, in future, as a woman who would be destined to be raped.

Note that the lesson of reform & contrition may or may not be learnt ---thus the possibility of endly repeating "all sorts of infractions towards others and then being destined to experience the same against oneself" may or may not be appreiciated by those undergoing the offense nor those sufferring the offense ---Yet, the lesson transpired nonetheless ---these lessons of life & living & existing go on eternally.

bhaktajan

It is entirely realistic to expect only good of God, if one of God's supposed attributes is "all-loving."

It is entirely realistic to expect only PERSONA of God, if one of God's supposed attributes is "God, as la Suprema Persona de Dio."

Numinous

Philosopher
Does the bible say God is all loving, or that God is love? There might be a difference in there somewhere, if one were inclined to think about it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I could never be so arrogant as to think some all-powerful being had specific interest in the day-to-day details of my life.

Numinous

Philosopher
I could never be so arrogant as to think some all-powerful being had specific interest in the day-to-day details of my life.
The bible is a funny thing in that, as you put it, it must have taken a huge ammount of arrogance to pen the words it possesses. Yet at the same time, it claims and teaches humility is the key to life in some respects. Definitely interesting...

ellenjanuary

It does take colossal arrogance to conceptualize god. Once that occurs, I am of the opinion one becomes "entangled" with god. The mistake that often occurs is that speakers for god forget to stop being god.

Oh, and god is stupid huge enough to micro-manage. Be glad he (she, it, the number 4) doesn't. ;)

Numinous

Philosopher
It does take colossal arrogance to conceptualize god. Once that occurs, I am of the opinion one becomes "entangled" with god. The mistake that often occurs is that speakers for god forget to stop being god.

Oh, and god is stupid huge enough to micro-manage. Be glad he (she, it, the number 4) doesn't. ;)
I believe there is a popular Jewish word that means to wrestle with God. You reminded me of that by saying "entangled with god"

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Does the bible say God is all loving, or that God is love? There might be a difference in there somewhere, if one were inclined to think about it.
I'm not sure the statement "God is love" is actually coherent, but go ahead and explain it if you want.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
God's powers only affect those who believe in him; neither Yahweh, the Holy Spirit, nor Jesus can touch me.

However, I will occasionally be able to pin my failures on the workings of those who are influenced by the Holy Spirit, and I suppose I could say then that God indirectly causes my failures. But then, if we're going to be indirect, I could say that God will cause my political success as I use the issue of Christianity and crush the Church. It's a two-edge sword, one that does not depend on the existence of such a deity.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Niether.

I can account for my own success and failure without resorting to blaming or giving undue credit to God.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't ascribe either to any gods, though I do often ascribe them to the universe.

I ascribe things to a combination of personal will and environmental impact, with emphasis towards the latter because personal will is largely constructed from environmental impact. For instance, I acknowledge that my biology, region of birth, and how I was raised were conducive to successful pursuits, and these things were outside of my control.