• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Church has the best artwork?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I think something you are failing to take into account is that virtually all LDS artwork dates from the late 19th century or later. It's not necessarily the fact that the artist is LDS that makes LDS art have "a good feeling" about it. Had the LDS Church been around during medieval times, for instance, I think we can pretty much assume that LDS art would have been pretty much indistinguishable from any of the rest of the art we see from that period. Artistic styles change over time, and while I agree that LDS art is almost never "dark" (or what you have called "creepy,") there are reasons for that which you aren't taking into account.
Ahh, 1800's Romanticism. :)

Flat Earth Kyle

I think something you are failing to take into account is that virtually all LDS artwork dates from the late 19th century or later. It's not necessarily the fact that the artist is LDS that makes LDS art have "a good feeling" about it. Had the LDS Church been around during medieval times, for instance, I think we can pretty much assume that LDS art would have been pretty much indistinguishable from any of the rest of the art we see from that period. Artistic styles change over time, and while I agree that LDS art is almost never "dark" (or what you have called "creepy,") there are reasons for that which you aren't taking into account.

Feel free to post some 19th century and beyond artwork that is not creepy.

Flat Earth Kyle

Quite. Aside from the Baptismal font, the pictures you posted looked very much like a really swanky person's house.

I am glad you thought that. Every single LDS temple has these words written on it.

2013-02-08+07.02.33.jpg

St+Louis+Temple+Holiness+to+the+Lord.jpg

5774653000_f837f76f79_z.jpg

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I thought that's what it was going for. :D I find the literalism to be quite cheeky.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I even love this one, though I suspect you'll find it "creepy":

th

These others (all except for the last one) of Christ holding an actual lamb, are beautiful, though...

th

yeshua_the-lamb-of-god.jpg

Lamb%20(The)%20Mini%20Throw.jpg

th

PWlaughshep.jpg

And last, but not least, one without a lamb, that is incredibly touching...

hold-me-jesus1.jpg

If any of these are by LDS artists, I'd be pretty surprised. If there are, I think I'd have seen them by now.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Sorry, but most of these paintings remind me of cheesy murals of Princess Diana you can get on plates over here:

franklin_mint_franklin_mint_plates_no_box_P0000013539S0064T2.jpg

Yeah, there's just something inherently cheesy, sickly-sweet and kind of cheap about them. To me, at least.

But, hey, I'm not exactly an expert on fine art.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sorry, but most of these paintings remind me of cheesy murals of Princess Diana you can get on plates over here...
Cheesy, maybe. But Diana was one class act, and I'd rather see her on a plate than the Queen, or Charles and his butt-ugly wife, Camilla. But actually, I agree that some of the art I posted really is kind of cheesy. My point in posting it was not necessarily to say that I personally like it (although I do like some of it quite a bit). My point was to try to point out to Yaddoe that there is plenty of non-LDS art that isn't "creepy." (And I think that by "creepy," he means dark, sinister, weird, gloomy, or disturbing.)

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So which of the above that you just posted are Catholic Paintings?
I have no idea. You asked for non-creepy contemporary Christian art. I gave you over twenty examples. So now it's just Catholic art that's creepy?