• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the All-Giving gOd?

blackout

Violet.
I prefer the so-called "omni-max" (omniscient/omnipotent/omnipresent), which would include good, to "omnibenevolent". The latter, I suspect, was just invented by atheists as something to argue.

Yeah. I think you're right.

I just didn't know if "omni-max" included omni-present,
because most christians for example
do not seem to consider their omni-god, omnipresent.
(but "other")

So I tried to be all specific about it.
(leaving that out)

blackout

Violet.
I must really be living on a different planet earth than some of you.

Shall we begin with....

Healthy food? Decent shelter? Heating oil? Time with your kids? Sleep? (or even a bed?) Health care?
Car that runs, (with tires that actually grip the road) so one can get to work
(especially during all those snow months, when you have to work to pay for the heating oil)...
(so you're not sick in your freezing house all winter, with no real healthcare,
until such time as you lose the house, for missing work... because you're sick with pneumonia...)
then of course, there is love and support in relationship?... friends?... an occasional babysitter?
*could easily go on, but doesn't*

Trust me. I'm playin' WAAAYYY too many roles,
all by mySelf.
If my theatre macabre doesn't allow for a whole new production soon,
I may fold.

Conclusion: I must be my own omni-max god.
or die.

('cept maybe when I'm busy being my own omni-maxi-pad god.
Even us maxi-gods have our limits.)

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yeah. I think you're right.

I just didn't know if "omni-max" included omni-present,
because most christians for example
do not seem to consider their omni-god, omnipresent.
(but "other")

So I tried to be all specific about it.
(leaving that out)
It includes omnipresent of necessity. Without it, the other two images get warped.

blackout

Violet.
It includes omnipresent of necessity. Without it, the other two images get warped.

Well this is one of the main things i find so warped about the xtian omnimax gOd.
Seperation from gOd is a commonly held notion.
Be it "hell" or "sin" or just creation in general.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well this is one of the main things i find so warped about the xtian omnimax gOd.
Seperation from gOd is a commonly held notion.
Be it "hell" or "sin" or just creation in general.
Well, one can still hold an image of separation even with an image of omnipresence. (I think one was mentioned in anthoer thread, I'll see if I can find it.)

So many images, so little time...

blackout

Violet.
k. well I don't know how you can be everywhere,
yet, be seperate from somewheres. :shrug:

but find me the link darlin'.

How is it benevolent to withhold your
Omni'Potency, and
Omni'Science,
from your offspring?
It is benevolent to withold what is not in their best interest to receive quite yet. When dealing with living finite creatures that grow and learn, timing is important.

So you cannot give all the water a plant needs all at once, but just a little each day, or the plant will not grow.

So a teacher cannot give good grades to a student until they do the work, or they will not learn.

So a parent will not give a child all the candy it demands but insists on other food so that he will be healthy.

Giving without wisdom can be destructive. As for giving power freely to everyone, I cannot imagine anything more insane. I just don't understand this country I live in, USA, which fights so hard to defend the right of people to the power to slaughter large amounts of other people whenever they want.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

atanu

Premium Member
Yeah. 4 kids. no help. engrossed.

Dear UV

I have come to understand through various ways that the G0D (or whatever name one prefers) is omnipresent like a screen on which movies play. It is omniscient in the sense that it starts the Play button. It is omnipotent in the sense that it has the power to shut off. But this is just a metaphor. What is important is that the reality is not engrossed, just as a screen does not enter the movie. And you are the reality.

Regards

Last edited:

Onkara

Of course I agree with Atanuji's good analogy. Even the suffering is a part of the play of life. The more engaged we are in our Character the more painful the tragedy. Sometimes it is good to take a step back and realise that the play would go on without us.

That doesn't mean the problems will go away (or worsen) it just gives our the distance we might need to take a different look at the play of life and feel less identified with the tragedy.

I often wonder how ambulance wo/men do their jobs, being the first to arrive at a motoring accident scene. There must be coping mechanism, a way to distance themselves when they too drive home after work to their family. However no one would accuse them of being crass or blind to the horrors...

We must come to a point, personally, where we can be a witness as well as be a part of the play, and help ourselves and others who need it, rather than be the tragedy itself.
:)