• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where has your Faith Walk taken you in your life?

Many Sages One Truth

For example: what religion did you grow up in, what other religions have you been in, and what led you to those choices?

Feel free to disregard if you don't feel like discussing.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Grew up in Christianity...not really sure what denomination. I attended a Mennonite church all of my life, but my family came from Catholic and Baptist backgrounds. Dropped out of it when it stopped making sense, and turned to Theosophy/Spiritism/Deism. Dropped those when they stopped making sense too. At the moment I'm an an agnostic atheist who is deeply interested in altering perspective through paradigms.

Many Sages One Truth

Thank you for sharing :)

I have to ask since your title says "To be Determined"- are you open to the possibility of one day taking on a religious path?

Many Sages One Truth

Well then, I was also brought up Christian, Oneness Pentecostal. I was brought up very fundamentalist, but for some reason I never fully believed it. I always loved to read and was a thinker, and fundamentalism made me bitter toward Christianity for many years.

I turned to Islam at 16, the closest thing to Christianity I could think of, but bad experiences there and a draw to Dharmic religion is what led me away from that when I was 22 years old. I declared myself a Hindu, of no official sect, and devoted myself to Shiva, Parvati, and Ganesh, the holy family. This soon extended to include Paganism from interest in the deities of other pantheons. I then felt a draw back to Christianity, since I have always had a lot of respect for Jesus and his teachings, but wasn't sure how I could reconcile the two until I started learning about liberal Christianity and reading the works of liberal scholars. I became a "liberal Christian" last year and officially became a member of the United Methodist Church earlier this year.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Raised Baptist, and stayed that way until my teens. Then I decided I was an atheist until my early twenties, when I shifted towards agnosticism and started going back to a Baptist church.

When I stopped thinking there might be a god and and started believing there was, I wandered through different churches looking for a practice and structure that fit. I attended Methodist, Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Pentecostal, Church of God, and non-denominational churches for varying periods of time before I started looking outside of Christianity.

And now I attend a conservative synagogue and am in the process of converting.

the-jesusist

Emmanuel
I went to a Church Of Christ when I was growing up. Pretty much soured on believing in the unbelievable. Flirted with Taoism, Mormonism, and Quakerism, during more exploratory times. I disbelieved anything anyone said to me about God, until I could confirm it in someway. Which is next to impossible. Always liked Jesus the man, and his teachings. Jesusism is a natural fit.

BruceDLimber

I started out Christian, and eventually became Baha'i, which can be considered a continuation of my Christian upbringing.

The change happened 40 years ago in another week and a half, and in all that time I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret it!!

Best! :)

Bruce

Started out Christian, briefly flirted with Judaism, and remained atheist for the last ten or so years.

Dropped out of it when it stopped making sense... Dropped those when they stopped making sense too..

I like this quote, as it covers my reasons for leaving. Currently I'm strongly looking at the Buddha's teachings.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I grew up with no specific religious teachings or anythings. My family believed in God, but was mostly irreligious. Some Catholics on my dad's side and some separate Christians on my mom's.

I knew I was always a bit different than others, but I never became aware of the way in which I was different from others until I read the Satanic Bible in my 8th grade year.

I agreed with everything LaVey wrote, though of course some years later I have strayed from LaVey's teachings and found solace within my own workings and invocations to perception.

Jeneshisu

Smile ^^
For example: what religion did you grow up in, what other religions have you been in, and what led you to those choices?

Feel free to disregard if you don't feel like discussing.

I think I wrote a page that addresses this in my introduction. Lol

Grew up Christian. I wasn't so much raised Christian as I just had the influence from my mother. I was very conservative and pretty fundamentalist but as I ventured into the darker side of the theology I fell off the edge of that religion and was faithless for a time. The transition took place from age 15 to 16.

I later delved into Spiritual Satanism for personal reasons only to find it distasteful and left that as well. This didn't last longer than a few months to a year. I was 16-17.

I became a nihilist for a while. Bounching between atheism and agnosticism before a friend was able to open my mind and heart again. It was a very brief conversation late one night with a friend I hardly knew (but really admired) who completely changed my life. I was 17.

After that, I studied a lot of New Age religion and was able to finally identify as a Pagan/Pantheist. I've calmed down with most of the ritual stuff and I just live my life spiritually. I delve in and out of buddhist teachings as well as material from new age books/other media sources. Between ages 17 and the present (I'm now well into the age of 20)

So Eclectic Pantheist, I am.

Vasiel

The Seeker
My family were predominately Agnostic, and I was taught by my folks that "Churches were evil brain-washing businesses". It amuses me then that my main hobby would be religion. I was introduced to Buddhism between 2005-2006 after having delved into Paganism and Shamanism to varying degrees.

From Buddhism, I went to Christianity and signed myself up with the Assemblies of God denomination. After I "came out" I left the church when I felt isolated and stayed more or less Agnostic, though I continued searching.

Spent some time in the "New Age" crowd and felt at home there more or less until I moved to the city from my one-pub town.

The last few years has seen me firmly entrenched in Buddhism again. Even when I was part of the Christian Church I looked at life from the "middle way" perspective. Buddhism has proven to me to be a logical, straight-to-the-point, no-nonsense belief system.

I still put myself down as Spiritualist, because I haven't reached the point where I am comfortable within myself designating myself as anything more... concrete. Labels after all only have as much substance as you give them :p

Renji

I am raised in a Catholic family. I am a Catholic until now. I am always interested with Our teachings.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Raised Roman Catholic, attended church, CCD classes, made First Holy Communion and Confirmation.

Converted to Eastern Orthodoxy at age 23, having had enough of the guilting and legalistic RCC.

Nominally EO until I finally broke with the EOC for comments from the hierarchy about gays about 10 years ago. The EOC is no different than any other church, much to my dismay.

Was agnostic for the past 10 years, until finally fully embracing Vaishnavism (worship of Vishnu/Krishna) this year. Yet there was an underlying attraction to Hinduism from the time I was a teenager.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Well, I was raised Christian, mainly Methodist, then started going to a non-denominational church with my mom. At this point, my father, who had grown up Southern Baptist, decided to become muslim (a decision that took him 20 years to make). I mention this because his freethinking and experience with prominent teachers from different religions contributed to my expanding my views.

At some point, without apparent cause, certain things said by the preacher just didnt feel right. So I started studying and prayed to God "show me the truth." I wanted to know the reality of God, free from bias and ideas.
My first exposure to a spiritual path outside of Christianity, but still related, was Rastafari Movement. It appealed to me because it displayed a more open and living way of expressing ones beliefs. It wasnt just going to church, it was something that you expressed through all your actions. Also, it was close enough with what I was raised with, that I felt comfortable with it.

In a funny way, that lead me to start studying Hinduism. Actually, I was reading about dreadlocks (because of my current interest in Rastafari) and saw a picture of a hindu sadhu. I learned a bit about them. The next progression was learning that the Rastafari beliefs are highly influenced by Hindu beliefs (the dreadlocks and marijuana as a sacrament as one thing). At some point I started to identify with Hindu beliefs and realized that I couldnt continue with the Rasta thing.

From Hinduism, I learned about various mystic beliefs and learned about the Sufis as well. From there I was mainly interested in real religion that wasnt just believing something and going to church once a week. It was a practice, and a devotion, something to realize (in fact, now that im writing it, I notice thats the thing that has attracted me to most of these is the fact that they contain a daily practice, something I can actually do as opposed to just believe).

From my interest in dharmic ideas, I learned about the various sects of Hinduism, of Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, and through my interest in sadhus, Sufism. At a certain point, I successfully managed to completely change my paradigm, and started to see reality from a dharmic perspective. After a long time apprehensively studying studying Buddhism, which originally I had problems with (the no self and no God thing), I finally found comfortable ground in it, and because of the practices decided to set up camp there. Not only did Buddhism have daily practice, but practice every moment of every day, which attracted me a lot. (I think this was around the time that I stopped coming to these forums for a good year because I was very conflicted about a very many things, and all the debatable topics would have just made my head spin). So this was a very introspective time. After having studied all these religions externally, I now had to abandon the external and search internally.

Nowadays, I practice Buddhism, and eventually, may just drop all labels when the point comes (as it inevitably will) that religions and practices have served their purpose for me. Its funny looking back, how each of my progressions have gradually dropped more and more features, and also dissolved my perception of self and God. Its rather like the refining process in extracting the essential oil of a plant, or the essential psychoactive compound in a plant. All the impurities are being removed, and someday there will be nothing remaining.

Eventually, I imagine that all will be dissolved and I will have finally realized the true "God," that I set out to understand; at which point, my journey will have come to a close. So far, I believe that "God" has answered my prayer.

Much longer than I intended, but I guess it hasnt been a short story by any means so far. :D