• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Doth Thy Spirit Thrive?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sometime ago, a friend of mine told me this story of himself: He had been a regular church goer who never missed a Sunday service for most of his life. Then, one Sunday he decided on a whim to spend the day lazily floating in a rowboat on a lake. During the course of the day, he realized that he felt more connected to God and nature while on the lake than he'd ever felt connected in church. And after that day, he never went back to church.

For believers, where do you feel most connected to deity -- in a house of worship or in nature? Why

For non-believers, if you feel more spiritual in some places or settings than in others, what places or settings are those? Why?

David1967

Premium Member
Sometime ago, a friend of mine told methis story of himself: He had been a regular church goer who never missed a Sunday service for most of his life. Then, one Sunday he decided on a whim to spend the day lazily floating in a rowboat on a lake. During the course of the day, he realized that he felt more connected to God and nature while on the lake than he'd ever felt connected in church. And after that day, he never went back to church.

For believers, where do you feel most connected to deity -- in a house of worship or in nature? Why

For non-believers, if you feel more spiritual in some places or settings than in others, what places or settings are those? Why?
Very good question. Personally I do attend church, but I admit that when I am alone In the forest I feel much closer to God. It just seems so open and honest. Far beyond the words of a minister.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sometime ago, a friend of mine told me this story of himself: He had been a regular church goer who never missed a Sunday service for most of his life. Then, one Sunday he decided on a whim to spend the day lazily floating in a rowboat on a lake. During the course of the day, he realized that he felt more connected to God and nature while on the lake than he'd ever felt connected in church. And after that day, he never went back to church.

I was looking at different quotes by Waldo Emersonand this came up:
ralph_waldo_emerson_quote_2.jpg

I used to go soft hiking before I went into the Church. I'd pick a good, nice day and start early early morning, put my watch in my small backpack, put the phone on silent and never looked at the time, and just go. Be one with nature (with God or whomever). It was nice. I almost got myself stuck in the woods cause it was getting darker faster than I thought. I ended up staring a deer in the eyes couple inches from me. He ran off and I called the ranger... but that whole "turning everything off and being one with nature" is something I love.

I joined the Church and remembered this quote above. I felt more close to god before and after Mass than I really did during Mass. Isn't that sad from a communal point of view? I loved private devotion and just being there. The signing of the cross the whole nine yards.

Then when the whole load of events happen, my friend said "you know you can find god in nature and in Church to you know. You don't have to do one or the other." She reminded me what I had lossed all those four (now five?) years. God.

So, I started going back into nature little by little. Started doing more outside ritual. I go to my old house from time to time when I'm paying respects to my Christian grandmothers. However, a house can never replace a home.

atanu

Premium Member

Shri Ramana Maharshi, an Indian sage, used to say that silence was the best and highest communication and that words were like light bulbs, manifestations and obstructions on the path of the true flow.

So, it is natural that sweetest spiritual connection would happen when mind is silent with awe.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My answer is that is varies. I volunteer to help very poor kids who might never have had a good day. When we succeed in giving them a day of joy, the light shining in their eyes is where I see God. Sometimes it's when a sublime thought is expressed wonderfully in a song. Sometimes it's with friends singing a spiritual invocation. Sometimes a scene in a TV show or movie will lift me outside myself and toward God.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I don't find nature and human community to be different things, necessarily. But the wilderness can certainly be less distracting. I think there is room for all manner of community: human, plant, animal. We all come from a source that does not deplete, and we all return to it in the end.

Treks

In any situation where I am blessed with that connection.

Sometimes that's in nature, and sometimes it's in the Gurdwara. Sometimes alone, sometimes with people. One of the strongest experiences I've ever had was standing on the train, squished like sardines on the way to work. I was reading scripture, and BAM. Everything became electric and if my arms were big enough I would have hugged the world.

David1967

Premium Member
I was looking at different quotes by Waldo Emersonand this came up:
ralph_waldo_emerson_quote_2.jpg

I used to go soft hiking before I went into the Church. I'd pick a good, nice day and start early early morning, put my watch in my small backpack, put the phone on silent and never looked at the time, and just go. Be one with nature (with God or whomever). It was nice. I almost got myself stuck in the woods cause it was getting darker faster than I thought. I ended up staring a deer in the eyes couple inches from me. He ran off and I called the ranger... but that whole "turning everything off and being one with nature" is something I love.

I joined the Church and remembered this quote above. I felt more close to god before and after Mass than I really did during Mass. Isn't that sad from a communal point of view? I loved private devotion and just being there. The signing of the cross the whole nine yards.

Then when the whole load of events happen, my friend said "you know you can find god in nature and in Church to you know. You don't have to do one or the other." She reminded me what I had lossed all those four (now five?) years. God.

So, I started going back into nature little by little. Started doing more outside ritual. I go to my old house from time to time when I'm paying respects to my Christian grandmothers. However, a house can never replace a home.
Beautiful Carlita. I have lost myself In the forests near my home in much the same way you described. And my thoughts are , there is no place i would rather lose myself. :)