• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do Proponents Of Intelligent Design Propose the Designer Came From?

Etritonakin

Then why are you avoiding credible evidence, and just fabricating it, or using known biased worthless websites for evidence?

Your position is not academic.

I have forgotten the general course of this thread, so I don't really know what you mean.

My general position on the flood specifically is presently that of collecting evidence and considering possibilities. Given all evidence thus far, I have no reason to believe the flood did not happen. I know my actual position, but may not express it well or completely.

Your understanding of my position might be likened to our understanding of the flood. Evidence can be misleading, and we were not there when it would or would not have happened.
Many often think I am of a certain opinion or position, when I am actually not.

An academic position is not necessarily infallible or unchanging.

outhouse

Atheistically
My general position on the flood specifically is presently that of collecting evidence and considering possibilities

You have no evidence.

Considering possibilities is another name for imagination. That has more credibility then the evidence you speak of. o_O

outhouse

Atheistically
An academic position is not necessarily infallible or unchanging.

No but it beats imagination.

Again just so you know, there is no mystery here, we know where and when the actual river flood happened that spawned flood mythology in many cultures long before Israelites existed who plagiarized these early accounts.

And had you the slightest amount of credible biblical knowledge, you would know the bible even admits its Mesopotamian origins where the real flood took place.

Etritonakin

No but it beats imagination.

Again just so you know, there is no mystery here, we know where and when the actual river flood happened that spawned flood mythology in many cultures long before Israelites existed who plagiarized these early accounts.

And had you the slightest amount of credible biblical knowledge, you would know the bible even admits its Mesopotamian origins where the real flood took place.

There is no mystery in ignorance.

Etritonakin

You realize I'm asking for specific examples of the evidence you speak of, right?
All of the evidence that I have been able to consider thus far -documentaries, stuff on the web, etc. -really haven't done much digging or turning over rocks and stuff myself (so I actually do have zero evidence, personally) -I'm not going to try to remember all of the things I have seen and heard on the subject.
I'm definitely not interested in this whole useless exchange.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Nothing has an ultimate beginning of course. Everything changes form - from energy to matter perhaps, and then back again - but everything is eternal.

1. Everything is eternal with no beginning and no end.
2. Everything has the ability to change from one form to another, for good or for bad. This is free will.
3. The greatest of the intelligences, the one who transforms the eternal into goodness, we call God.
4. Forces that destroy order and free will, we call evil.

God is cleaning up a mess He did not make... read the original Hebrew version of it.
That steady state idea went out in the 50's with Einstein saying it was one of the worst academic mistakes he ever made, Both of the latest cosmological models, the BBT and BGVT propose creation ex-nihilo.

Vilenkin’s verdict: “All the evidence we have says that the universe had a beginning.”
http://www.uncommondescent.com/inte...-have-says-that-the-universe-had-a-beginning/

All the evidence found so far suggests the universe came into being from nothing (natural). Thus it requires a cause. God did not come into being and therefore does not have any need of a cause.

Your science is about a century outdated.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
What evidence is that?
I am not a cosmologist but Vilenkin is (one of the best, along with Sandage) and I am using their determinations not their mathematics. Finding the BGV it's self is very hard to do. 99% percent of the time you get arguments about the theorem and not the theorem it's self. However you may be able to the actual paper here.
http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.151301

If not you may have to buy or search for it in a publicized work.

Do you have evidence of that?
Is your response to every claim going to be "oh yea prove it". Every event we have ever observed has a cause without a known exception. The beginning of a universe is an event, there for it has a cause. Now if you say I cannot prove that I would say then I am going with a philosophical principle that has millions of examples of causation and no exceptions. Call it perfect evidence based faith. To not do so is to accept the opposite based on faith which contradicts every known observation (numbering in the trillions). Every decision and claim to knowledge we have is based in faith given evidence. Nothing is a matter of certain fact except for the fact that we think. Descartes eloquently proved that in a famous paper.

Do you have evidence of that?
That is not really relevant. I am talking about a certain concept of God. The biblical God is personal, creative, and eternal as a concept. I am saying that if that concept exists it requires no cause. This is called an "if-then" argument.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I am not a cosmologist but Vilenkin is (one of the best, along with Sandage) and I am using their determinations not their mathematics. Finding the BGV it's self is very hard to do. 99% percent of the time you get arguments about the theorem and not the theorem it's self. However you may be able to the actual paper here.
http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.151301

If not you may have to buy or search for it in a publicized work.
That paper doesn't seem to say anything about the Universe "coming into being from nothing". You have suggested that there is a lot of evidence: could you just describe or explain one or two pieces of evidence in your own words?

Is your response to every claim going to be "oh yea prove it".
No, my response to every claim is "what is the evidence?" And that SHOULD be the first response to ANY claim being made, especially when it regards science and the facts of how the Universe functions..

Every event we have ever observed has a cause without a known exception. The beginning of a universe is an event, there for it has a cause.
We have observed instances in quantum space where classical cause and effect do not apply, and we are not talking about an event which conforms to classical laws. We are talking about even that, as far as we are aware, precedes those classical laws. You cannot necessarily use the physical laws of the Universe in a coherent argument about how that same Universe started.

Now if you say I cannot prove that I would say then I am going with a philosophical principle that has millions of examples of causation and no exceptions.
Quantum physics.

SOURCES:
http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2012/06/08/cause-and-effect/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrocausality
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121002145454.htm

Call it perfect evidence based faith.
No I won't, because if it is based on evidence then it isn't faith.

To not do so is to accept the opposite based on faith which contradicts every known observation (numbering in the trillions). Every decision and claim to knowledge we have is based in faith given evidence.
No it isn't. Some of us base our conclusions on the evidence - we don't make an assumption then assume the evidence fits it.

Nothing is a matter of certain fact except for the fact that we think. Descartes eloquently proved that in a famous paper.
If you believe that, then how on earth can you make any claims about anything?

That is not really relevant. I am talking about a certain concept of God. The biblical God is personal, creative, and eternal as a concept. I am saying that if that concept exists it requires no cause. This is called an "if-then" argument.
If it's not relevant, then why did you bring it up?

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
That paper doesn't seem to say anything about the Universe "coming into being from nothing". You have suggested that there is a lot of evidence: could you just describe or explain one or two pieces of evidence in your own words?
What is it you want "exactly" one or two pieces of evidence for? Sorry but I have been away from this debate for a while and it's context is not fresh in my mind.

I forgot what paper I gave you.

However the BBT pre-supposes creation ex-nihilo and the other dominant theory TGVT was summarized by Vilenkin.

Vilenkin’s verdict: “All the evidence we have says that the universe had a beginning.”

Now since the universe is defined as every natural entity there is then by substitution. It could be stated that all the evidence we have suggested everything natural had a beginning.

BTW: even if we had no science, no mountains of evidence suggesting the universe began to exist we could arrive at that conclusion because it's opposite is impossible. If you claim it did not begin to exist the you must explain away impossibility after impossibility. There are no natural infinites, there are no infinite regression chains of causation, there is no explanation for why the universe "was wound up" 15 trillions years ago and is doomed (without supernatural intervention) to win down until heat death occurs. TBGVT theory also goes on to explain why the most populate science fictions attempting to get out of a universe in need of a cause are impossible. Cracked eggs - impossible, cyclic universes- impossible, natural infinites impossible, etc... The best case anyone who wanted to wish away the finite universe we know exists would have as it's only merit the fact it cannot be proven wrong at this time. Even I don't don't have enough faith for atheism.

No, my response to every claim is "what is the evidence?" And that SHOULD be the first response to ANY claim being made, especially when it regards science and the facts of how the Universe functions..

We have observed instances in quantum space where classical cause and effect do not apply, and we are not talking about an event which conforms to classical laws. We are talking about even that, as far as we are aware, precedes those classical laws. You cannot necessarily use the physical laws of the Universe in a coherent argument about how that same Universe started.
I do not mind requests for evidence but as I said, in essence you asked the guy who holds to a position of faith to prove things. It would be as meaningless as my asking you to prove Jesus did not dies on the cross of prove that the apostles actually stole the body. That is not how this is done in these fields. IN history, theology, and many others the argument is to best explanation.

First of all Quantum physics is in it's infancy and would not be fully understandable by either of us even if it was. For pities sake it has 10 types of frameworks at least and not only do they contradict each other but no one knows which one is true, and like string theory is not even provable if true. BTW: what are your mathematic and physics credentials. I have a degree in math and have no idea how to evaluate what scientists say about it. People us have to blindly follow the latest theories or stand in skepticism.

Second the Quantum does not posit a lack of cause and effect. In fact it includes them. Molecules do not pop into existence from nothing, there was a preexisting fluctuation in quantum energy fields which produces what we call matter. Everything in nature can be termed energy or light. Matter is simply energy with a massive density.

Atheists love to think that science contradicts faith yet every single thing they bring up to counter faith comes from the deepest possible end of the theoretical science pool. Stuff you do not understand, stuff I can barely understand. Stuff that even if true is unproven. No one on Earth fully understand the Quantum. Maybe a few people have a few pieces nailed down but there is not enough of these pieces to form any picture that would contradict Christianity. BTW: IF you wanted, get a book by Schroder called "The science of God" He is a scientist who harmonized Genesis, the BBT, and the quantum better than anyone I have ever heard. No one knows anything about to a certainty about these issues, but his explanation fit more intuitive facts than any I have seen.

No I won't, because if it is based on evidence then it isn't faith.
I most certainly is. In fact one claim to knowledge is a fact and does not require faith. The fact we think is the only certainty known to man. Everything (and I mean everything else has an element of faith in it. That is simply a brute fact. All we can do is come up with the best explanations. We can never come up with the absolute truth of the matter. At least not in this life, and if we would be able to after this life I cannot comprehend how it would be actualized but if your dealing with God then you can't rule out anything.

No it isn't. Some of us base our conclusions on the evidence - we don't make an assumption then assume the evidence fits it.
All Vilenkin said "All the evidence" points to a universe (meaning all natural entities, events, truths) began to exist (include quantum relationships. And with every experiment ever done, every observation ever made causes precede events and no natural have ever been observed and they seem to be impossible. Yet your world view contradicts these things which are confirmed without exception. You are using faith and you seem capable of it to a greater extent than I.

If you believe that, then how on earth can you make any claims about anything?
I have to repeat this every half dozen posts.

1. The actual burden of faith is the lack of a defeater.
2. However I argue to a higher standard - best explanation. A universe created out of nothing is a better explanation of the best evidence.

I hold to evidence based faith, not to certainty.

If it's not relevant, then why did you bring it up?
Don't remember the original claim I made. What I said probably was relevant, it was your response to it that was probably irrelevant.

Nice to talk with you again mortal flame. Been away from debate for a while.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Super Universe

Defender of God
God, in the most simplest explanation, comes from self forming elemental energy.

This idea may be difficult for you to accept, if you've studied theoretical physics and are aware of quantum fluctuation, well, then you have an idea.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

There are no natural infinites,

The continuity of the vacuum (space) is such a natural infinity. Meaning there is no smallest small that you can move an object. Infinities are a basic part of mathematics, and mathematics is the theory of everything.

The painting is beautiful. How is it rational to ask for evidence of the beauty?

I hold to evidence based faith, not to certainty.

I don't buy that. "Evidence based faith" means you understand evidence but do not understand faith.

How does the faith part work?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The continuity of the vacuum (space) is such a natural infinity. Meaning there is no smallest small that you can move an object. Infinities are a basic part of mathematics, and mathematics is the theory of everything.
There is no such thing as an infinite vacuum. If there was one everything would have instantly been sucked into it. There is not even such a thing a perfect vacuum in space. No cubit foot of space is empty. The only vacuum in space is relative. It is lower or higher compared to another place. Just the same as the coldest possible temperate that can be reached in nature is not infinity, it is around -470K. So, no there are no infinite vacuums in space (even supermassive black holes fall infinitely short of being an infinite vacuum. I have a degree in math and infinity is no small part of it. It is a huge part and usually serves as a boundary condition where natural things cannot get to. To even consider the math infinity involves with make your head hurt. Take an infinite number of coins, subtract the ones that lie heads up. How many do you have left. You still have an infinity. You subtracted infinity from something and still have infinity. Infinity is where natural math looses it's mind and no one has ever found a natural infinite.

The painting is beautiful. How is it rational to ask for evidence of the beauty?
What painting? BTW what side of this argument? I think there is a reason to believe in a creator.

I don't buy that. "Evidence based faith" means you understand evidence but do not understand faith.

How does the faith part work?
I am not sure you meant to reply to me. Your responses do not seem to be to anything I said. I was explaining that any fact any one claims to know has an element of faith in it, and so it is absolutely wrong for the scientism to claim they deal with certainties and we deal with faith. That is a false dichotomy. All men's claims about anything are part faith, and part evidence, with the exceptions of the fact we think, and blind faith (which I do not believe justifies true faith).

I think you really misunderstood everything I was saying.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is no such thing as an infinite vacuum. If there was one everything would have instantly been sucked into it.
Vacuums seem to work that way based upon our Earthly experience, but that's only because we've an ambient air pressure of about 15psi.
That's a 15psi pressure difference from a vacuum, so air naturally pushes into one with great force.
But in space, where a vacuum (albeit imperfect) is the norm, there's nothing to force anything into a vacuum.