• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do I read on more about these philosophies...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm really into other philosophy now, I'm trying to overcome my Nihilistic opinions, not because they're depressing me (they're not) but it seems to affect others around me.

Right now I plan on looking into Epicureanism, Platonism, and Stoicism, I'm interested in the Greek stuff for now, I'll move on to Asian philosophy next, then probably German philosophers, Germany had a lot of smart people :D.

I have books by Nietzche I haven't read yet, I want to but yet I'm too lazy to, so I don't recommend any books, unless they're very short and are online, because I don't have patience to read TBH.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I'm really into other philosophy now, I'm trying to overcome my Nihilistic opinions, not because they're depressing me (they're not) but it seems to affect others around me.

Right now I plan on looking into Epicureanism, Platonism, and Stoicism, I'm interested in the Greek stuff for now, I'll move on to Asian philosophy next, then probably German philosophers, Germany had a lot of smart people :D.

I have books by Nietzche I haven't read yet, I want to but yet I'm too lazy to, so I don't recommend any books, unless they're very short and are online, because I don't have patience to read TBH.

tried looking for stuff by Plato, Aristotle or Socrates?

The Sum of Awe

tried looking for stuff by Plato, Aristotle or Socrates?

Well, as I said I'm very impatient when I'm reading, so it'd have to be a short book and online.

I'm kinda picky when it comes to philosophers, I mean, I read some philosophical books and notice that it can just be summed up in shorter terms, what they're describing. Someday I'll learn to become patient though... I guess

9Westy9

Premium Member
Well, as I said I'm very impatient when I'm reading, so it'd have to be a short book and online.

I'm kinda picky when it comes to philosophers, I mean, I read some philosophical books and notice that it can just be summed up in shorter terms, what they're describing. Someday I'll learn to become patient though... I guess

Afraid I can't help then :/

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Trying borrowing some Barney DVDs from your local lending library. That won't require much commitment on your part, and the rewards will be commensurate with the effort you want to put into it.

The Sum of Awe

doppelgänger;2805997 said:
Trying borrowing some Barney DVDs from your local lending library. That won't require much commitment on your part, and the rewards will be commensurate with the effort you want to put into it.

Is this a troll post or is Barney really Epicurean :D?

I just wanted to add though: I'm adding Xenophanes into my study.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I spent about 3 months pondering my own philosophies. How did life begin, How did the universe form, what is intelligence. All these things interested me. I used what I knew and the internet to prove idea's to myself and then disbute them.

I learned more about my philosophy from this then any book out there.

Now I read philosophy books for fun and understand most of the philosophers where just like me.:D

The Sum of Awe

I spent about 3 months pondering my own philosophies. How did life begin, How did the universe form, what is intelligence. All these things interested me. I used what I knew and the internet to prove idea's to myself and then disbute them.

I learned more about my philosophy from this then any book out there.

Now I read philosophy books for fun and understand most of the philosophers where just like me.:D

Yes, I have my philosophies, but why can't the philosophers sum up what they're saying in like... a paragraph or so, because a lot of times it seems like you can, but instead there's an entire book on it.

9Westy9

Premium Member

Advy

I would recommend podcasts like:
Philosophy Bites,
Entitled Opinions,
Partially Examined life and
Philosophy Talk.
Join the Facebook groups for these podcasts or your university's philosophy group.

Learn from philosopher blogs too, I have a great very concise blog at:

I have tried to answer the most important questions here.

and the weblogs, here are some other blogs:

Ask me whatever questions and I can write about it or answer it for you if I already know it.
It seems i can not post links yet, but you can message me for them

I reckon so. On topic, I think that the OP is selling himself short by attempting to bypass the writings of philosophers. The Cliffnotes version of a philosophy isn't going to give you the depth to really understand the intricacies of any complex train of thought.
The effort you put into your search is proportionate to what you get out of it, in my opinion.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The effort you put into your search is proportionate to what you get out of it, in my opinion.

"I never desired to please the rabble. What pleased them, I did not learn; and what I knew was far removed from their understanding." - Epicurus

Oh . . . the irony . . .

RGA1459

A favorite resource site of mine is Internet Sacred Text Archive. Type those four words into your browser and let your mind expand. It is very well organized and easy to navigate, all subjects are classified by subject matter, includes everything from short articles and essays up to entire books and series of books, all for free with no membership required. You may find it as useful as I have. It has more material than anyone could ever read.

roylarsn

I am a book lover but I never like reading philosophies. They are usually boring. I may prefer reading quotes because they are direct and yet effective.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'd recommend Marx. Not Karl, but Groucho.

Failing that the Oxford University Press Very Short Introduction books do exactly what they say on the tin...
I once did an introduction that was very short: it was on mini skirts!