• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did the worship of the "day of the sun" come from?

Muffled

Jesus in me
As Buddhist dharma teaches, when pointing at the sun one should always remember that the end of one's finger is not the sun. IOW, names are not actual days but stand for certain days.
Jews chose chose to call their day of rest "Shabbat", and English-speaking Christians overwhelming call our day of rest "Sunday". Thus, I fail to see where there's a problem, especially since if a Christian decides to abide by Jewish Law and observe Shabbat, then I simply don't have a problem with that being their choice for them.

I believe we are called to be in the world but not of it. So the world calls the day Sunday and that is the world we are in but we are not people of the sun because of it. We retain our own beliefs that are not of this world.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Unless you study all the Worlds mythologies you will never know. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

I believe the rest of the world has mythologies that do not come from the same source. The Bible comes from God and not some other source.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The setting aside of Sunday as the Christian sabbath may have it's roots in the Roman Empire but that doesn't make it pagan. Supplanting pagan holidays and festivals with Christian ones was a common practice. Note I say "supplanting" and not "adopting." Some superficial trappings were retained, such as Christmas trees and Easter eggs, but the beliefs were supplanted.

My denomination of origin and my current denomination think of Sunday as the Lords' Day, the day of the resurrection. However one defines and whenever one celebrates, the point is to set aside time for devotion and worship; something we really should do every day. Legalism about which days doesn't seem to me to be the point at all.

I'm not a calendar expert and don't know what calendar was used at the time. Since then the West has been through the Julian and Gregorian calendars. And then there is that Leap Year thing.

As the song says, "Does anybody really know what time it is?"

I believe it says a lot that we worship on the day when Jesus is living while the others worship on the day when He is still dead.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe we are called to be in the world but not of it. So the world calls the day Sunday and that is the world we are in but we are not people of the sun because of it. We retain our own beliefs that are not of this world.
I don't know about your church but the one my wife and I attend doesn't worship the sun nor any other object. And our beliefs includes basic Judeo-Christian teachings and also "worldly" experiences because we do live in this world and should deal with it in both a pragmatic and moral way, imo.

2ndpillar

I don't know about your church but the one my wife and I attend doesn't worship the sun nor any other object. And our beliefs includes basic Judeo-Christian teachings and also "worldly" experiences because we do live in this world and should deal with it in both a pragmatic and moral way, imo.

The "image of the beast", promoted by the false prophet, is the cross. You, apparently as a devoted Catholic, have knelt to the cross and make the sign of the cross. That kind of puts you in the grave for the next 1000 years (Rev 20:4-5). When the cross begins to speak and walk, then you might have reason to take notice of it. (Rev 9:20-21)

metis

The "image of the beast", promoted by the false prophet, is the cross. You, apparently as a devoted Catholic, have knelt to the cross and make the sign of the cross. That kind of puts you in the grave for the next 1000 years (Rev 20:4-5). When the cross begins to speak and walk, then you might have reason to take notice of it. (Rev 9:20-21)
Jesus said "judge ye not...", but you ignore him on this and then basically judge me. Got it.

Nah, I'd rather have serious discussions with people who don't act so hypocritically out of myopic bigotry. You're not my judge nor anyone else's, so maybe get over yourself and stop trying to play "God".

2ndpillar

Jesus said "judge ye not...", but you ignore him on this and then basically judge me. Got it.

Nah, I'd rather have serious discussions with people who don't act so hypocritically out of myopic bigotry. You're not my judge nor anyone else's, so maybe get over yourself and stop trying to play "God".

Apparently you didn't read the scripture I provided (Jeremiah 31:30), in which reads "everyone will die for his own iniquity". If you say you have no "iniquity"/sin, then you make John to be liar (1 John 1:8). Hypocrisy would to claim Jeremiah 31:30 is untrue, but your interpretation per your "new covenant" of Jeremiah 31:31 is true. Of course your interpretation of Jeremiah 31:31 is untrue, but the prophecy, as written, is true.

Agnostisch

Egyptian Man
Don't forget that Constantine was a worshipper of Mithras (born Dec 25th) and Sol Invictus (born December 25th); and so it was not by chance that the newly official Roman Catholic Church after 364 AD celebrated the Mass of Christ (OE. Christmas) on December 25th.

The Dying and Resurrection gods of the middle east were all associated with the SUN as was the Messiah of the Jews (see the verse in Malachi chapter 4 which Messianists interpreted as referring to the "Christ": THE SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS WITH HEALING IN HIS WINGS SHALL ARISE)

Thus Messianism as eary as in the 1st century AD was tied up with Solar Worship (read e.g. the books that form part of I Enoch (250 BC to 100 BC) which is pseudopigraphically attributed to the legendary author Henoch who "wrote 365 books" and who lived "365 years", which are solar constructs

At one point in the Henochian Literature, (H)Enoch is "the Son of Man" and later "MetaTron" who stands before the Throne Altar of YHWH in Heaven, glowing with brightest angelic rays: thus Henoch is identified as THE SUN, as well as THE SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS as well as THE SON OF MAN, as well as METATRON as well as THE MESSIAH----all in relation to the SUN which dies and rises again not only daily but also annually, rising again on December 25th according to the pre-scientific ancients but on December 21st according to us "moderns").

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Sol invictus came after individual churches celebrating Christmas on Dec. 25. What came later was Dec. 25 being the *universal* date for Christmas. But the idea? It was floating around in the church decades before the pagans got their own idea.

Come on folks, Christmas is a Christian holiday, although it has become increasingly secular and universal. No one celebrates Sol Invictus anymore.

As a Jew, I can say that THE reason I don't celebrate Christmas is because, simply, "Jesus is the reason for the season."

2ndpillar

Sol invictus came after individual churches celebrating Christmas on Dec. 25. What came later was Dec. 25 being the *universal* date for Christmas. But the idea? It was floating around in the church decades before the pagans got their own idea.

Come on folks, Christmas is a Christian holiday, although it has become increasingly secular and universal. No one celebrates Sol Invictus anymore.

As a Jew, I can say that THE reason I don't celebrate Christmas is because, simply, "Jesus is the reason for the season."

The sun god, Sol Invictus/Apollo/Helio/Mithras/Bel preceded Paul's Christian Church. The holiday traditions of getting drunk and trading gifts seems to revolve around Saturnalia, because the holiday lasts from Christmas to New Year. What I often heard was that Christmas was for Jewish merchants to become rich. Maybe it was for rich Jewish lawyers to get rich getting people out of their DUI's. When I was in China, it seemed that the communist state put more effort into Christmas commercialization than the US As for "Sol Invictus", that is just one of his names. He is better recognized as the devil, Satan, the serpent, or the dragon. Apparently he is worshipped overtly by witches and devil worshippers. And of course, he is usually shown with horns.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

The sun god, Sol Invictus/Apollo/Helio/Mithras/Bel preceded Paul's Christian Church. The holiday traditions of getting drunk and trading gifts seems to revolve around Saturnalia, because the holiday lasts from Christmas to New Year. What I often heard was that Christmas was for Jewish merchants to become rich. Maybe it was for rich Jewish lawyers to get rich getting people out of their DUI's. When I was in China, it seemed that the communist state put more effort into Christmas commercialization than the US As for "Sol Invictus", that is just one of his names. He is better recognized as the devil, Satan, the serpent, or the dragon. Apparently he is worshipped overtly by witches and devil worshippers. And of course, he is usually shown with horns.
You are merely personifying the sun god as the devil. I believe the sun god is a false god. There is only One God -- beside him there is no other.

And sure there are many sun gods down through time and varying from culture to culture, but only Mithras Sol Invictus claims Dec. 25.

Christmas was not originally commercial, and it is anti-Semitic of you to say that only Jews are into the holiday for the money. Practically all businesses gear up for Christmas these days.

Look, as they say, "Jesus is the reason for the season." That's why I as a Jew don't celebrate Christmas. I find it odd that a Christian would opt out.

metis

Don't forget that Constantine was a worshipper of Mithras (born Dec 25th) and Sol Invictus (born December 25th); and so it was not by chance that the newly official Roman Catholic Church after 364 AD celebrated the Mass of Christ (OE. Christmas) on December 25th.
Except that he left that belief, and the ensuing result is that the worship of Mithras went into decline throughout the empire. Since 12-25 was a vacation day, Christians substituted their worship of the One God for Mithras. However, Constantine's full conversion to the Christian faith did not occur until near his death.

2ndpillar

Except that he left that belief, and the ensuing result is that the worship of Mithras went into decline throughout the empire. Since 12-25 was a vacation day, Christians substituted their worship of the One God for Mithras. However, Constantine's full conversion to the Christian faith did not occur until near his death.

Constantine was baptized on his death bed according to Eusebius, the Arian, who was Constantine's man Friday, as well as the Christian church historian. Eusebius stated clearly "that it will be necessary sometimes to use falsehood as a remedy for the benefit of those who require such a mode of treatment". This kind of history kind of requires a large dose of salt to swallow. But then again, basically the whole historical perspective of the "Christian" church is built on sand (Matthew 7:24-28).

2ndpillar

You are merely personifying the sun god as the devil. I believe the sun god is a false god. There is only One God -- beside him there is no other.

And sure there are many sun gods down through time and varying from culture to culture, but only Mithras Sol Invictus claims Dec. 25.

Christmas was not originally commercial, and it is anti-Semitic of you to say that only Jews are into the holiday for the money. Practically all businesses gear up for Christmas these days.

Look, as they say, "Jesus is the reason for the season." That's why I as a Jew don't celebrate Christmas. I find it odd that a Christian would opt out.

Well if you had read scripture, it would have revealed that God's view is different from yours. The first commandment states that "Thou shalt have no other gods before me", which is to say, there are other gods. As for the "dragon"/devil (Rev 20:2), he gave his authority to the beast (Rev 13:4)/Caesar, supposedly the son of Venus, who worshipped the gods, and was high priest to Jupiter (god of the sky), who was on par with Zeus. Constantine's soldiers worshipped Sol Invictus, the sun god. As for the spirit of the devil/dragon, it was as with the beast and the false prophet, an unclean spirit (Revelation 16:13) which apparently cannot die (Revelation 22:4) As for the 25th of December, it originally comes from the birth date of Nimrod of Babylon, the birth place of Babylon the Great, the mother religion of the harlot daughters. The god of Babel was the sun god Bel/Marduk.

IndigoChild5559

Well if you had read scripture, it would have revealed that God's view is different from yours. The first commandment states that "Thou shalt have no other gods before me", which is to say, there are other gods.
No, my friend. There is only one God. One. Other gods are false gods, which is why we are not to worship them.

Isaiah 45:5
I am the LORD, and there is none else, beside Me there is no God

Remember the showdown between Elijah and the priests of Baal? How the priests of Baal couldn't get their god to respond (because he doesn't exist) and even though Elijah drenched the altar with water, God sent down fire to consume the offering.

2ndpillar

No, my friend. There is only one God. One. Other gods are false gods, which is why we are not to worship them.

Isaiah 45:5
I am the LORD, and there is none else, beside Me there is no God

Remember the showdown between Elijah and the priests of Baal? How the priests of Baal couldn't get their god to respond (because he doesn't exist) and even though Elijah drenched the altar with water, God sent down fire to consume the offering.

The "dragon" and his "beast" (Revelation 13) (Daniel 7:24-25) was to deceive "those who dwell on the earth". The dominion of the beast still reigns (Daniel 7:26). The god of the beast/beasts, were the pagan gods, and the god of the beast with two horns like a lamb, Constantine, was Sol Invictus, the sun god, who provided his authority to the beast of (Revelation 13:4), Caesar, who was the source of Constantine's authority. The men of renown, the descendants of the heavenly watchers, the "sons of God" (Genesis 6:4), and their fathers are those who hold the position of gods. The beast/kings, apparently have authority as they will rule the world until Daniel 2:44-45, when they will be crushed, and that would included the kingdom of Cyrus, the breast of silver (Daniel 2) who is the subject of your Isaiah 45. The prince of the kingdom of Persia was withstanding Michael, the chief prince.(Daniel 10:13), and this was a heavenly/spiritual battle fought because of Daniel's prayers and fasting. (Daniel 10:3).

As for Baal/Bel, his priest seemed to have had terminal day, but in the case of the priest of Egypt, they could also turn a staff into a snake. The problem being that Moses snake ate the snake of the Egyptian priest. Apparently the God of Moses had greater authority than the gods of Egypt. The gods, such as the sons of God, including "Satan" had their place, as Job was to find out. (Job 1:6) Just because their power is inferior to that of God, does not mean that they do not exist. As Isaiah 45 pointed out, there is one God, who is the creator, and apparently as creator of heaven, he created sons of God (Job 1:6), who actually exist, and are worshipped by the sons of men, as gods. Do the sons of God, such as Satan have power and exist? Ask Job what he thinks.