• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did the worship of the "day of the sun" come from?

2ndpillar

No, it began before then. Jesus was raised on the first day of the week, and "the Lord's Day" celebrates the Resurrection on that day. In fact, I believe it's Rev. 1:10 that mentions the disciples worshiping on the Lord's Day. Scholars agree that it does, in fact, refer to the first day of the week. This day would not have been known as "Sunday" in the Judaic calendar.

The day begins/dawns on the prior day for Jews. Per Matthew 28:1 KJB, it reads "In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week", which would mean that the resurrection preceded the beginning of the 1st day of the week. That would be 3 days and 3 nights after the last supper which occurred on the 14th of Nissan, just before the high holy sabbath of the feast of unleavened bread.

King James Bible
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I think the 4th command reads "Remember the Sabbath", which was the 7th day of the week. The pagans can call it "Saturn day" to commemorate one of their gods, but that wouldn't be in the realm of keeping the Sabbath.
So why do you have a problem with Sun Day, then?

sojourner

Despite the fact that the Roman church was a daughter of the original Babylon
Wrong. The Roman Church was an outgrowth of Paul’s evangelization, which was sanctioned by the Jerusalem church. Revisionist history is disingenuous.

sojourner

Under this title Constantine instituted the Roman church in 325 AD, and incorporated the pagan trinity concept into the Roman Christian church, and this was later legitimized in 367 AD by another Roman Emperor. And both the Roman church and the reformation churches hold the same doctrine.

And as far as Peter in Zechariah 11, Peter was one of 3 shepherds mentioned
Revisionist history and interpretation is a beeatch, aint it? So disingenuous.

sojourner

The day begins/dawns on the prior day for Jews. Per Matthew 28:1 KJB, it reads "In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week", which would mean that the resurrection preceded the beginning of the 1st day of the week. That would be 3 days and 3 nights after the last supper which occurred on the 14th of Nissan, just before the high holy sabbath of the feast of unleavened bread.

King James Bible
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
The Sabbath ended at sundown. Therefore, when they approached the tomb “toward dawn,” it was already the first day of the week. Sorry.

Last edited:

2ndpillar

The Sabbath ended at sundown. Therefore, when they approached the tomb “toward dawn,” it was already the first day of the week. Sorry.

The 1st day of the week starts/dawns after sunset of the 7th day of the week. You false scenario of there being 3 days and 3 nights between Friday evening and Sunday morning also does not compute.

King James Bible
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher.

2ndpillar

Wrong. The Roman Church was an outgrowth of Paul’s evangelization, which was sanctioned by the Jerusalem church. Revisionist history is disingenuous.

According to Paul's apparent friend, the writer of Acts, the interaction with Paul and Jerusalem was that he was supposed to teach do not eat blood, have fornication, and eat things sacrificed to the gods. Apparently Paul had his hearing aid turned off, for he taught the opposite. Apart from that he was run out of Jerusalem and called upon Caesar for his salvation, which included 2 cohorts of Roman soldiers.
The revision going on with Paul was his friends writing that the law and the prophets were made obsolete, and ;him saying it was nailed to the cross, was that Paul and his followers, made their own religion based on the lie that we surely shall not but be changed from corruptible to incorruptible. He was following the lead of his leader, the serpent, who gave basically the same story to Eve.

2ndpillar

So why do you have a problem with Sun Day, then?

Intending to make alterations in the times and the law was the prerogative of the "another" king, who Christians call the "antichrist" of Daniel 7:24-25, who was Constantine, who changed the day of rest to the day of his sun god, Sunday, by his decree of 321 AD. That was part of the mark of the beast for it forbade buying and selling on Sunday, the day of his god Sol Invictus. According to Revelation 19:20-21, it is not healthy to have such a mark.

sojourner

The 1st day of the week starts/dawns after sunset of the 7th day of the week
That’s what I said.

So why aren't you ashamed of yourself?
I’m not the one doing revisionist history; you are.

According to Paul's apparent friend, the writer of Acts
Well, the writer of Acts would be the writer of Luke, for the two were originally one document. Guess you don’t believe in the “lies” Jesus tells in Luke either...
The revision going on with Paul was his friends writing that the law and the prophets were made obsolete, and ;him saying it was nailed to the cross, was that Paul and his followers, made their own religion based on the lie that we surely shall not but be changed from corruptible to incorruptible
Do you don’t believe what the Bible says — at least the parts you don’t like.
He was following the lead of his leader, the serpent, who gave basically the same story to Eve
The serpent in Genesis was Wisdom. So now, according to you, Wisdom is EEEEEEEVIIIIIIILLL!!!

sojourner

Intending to make alterations in the times and the law was the prerogative of the "another" king, who Christians call the "antichrist" of Daniel 7:24-25, who was Constantine, who changed the day of rest to the day of his sun god, Sunday, by his decree of 321 AD. That was part of the mark of the beast for it forbade buying and selling on Sunday, the day of his god Sol Invictus. According to Revelation 19:20-21, it is not healthy to have such a mark.
I call BS. This is revisionist history again. Christians were worshiping on the first day since biblical days.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Where did "Christian" worship on the "day of the Sun", Sunday, originate?

Did it not originate per the Roman emperor Constantine's law of 321 AD, which united "Christian" and pagans in the observance of the "venerable day of the sun", and declared "Sunday" as the official day of rest on which markets were banned and public offices were closed. (blue laws)

How were those "dwelling the earth" "deceived"? (Revelation 13:14)

Was it not by the "beast with two horns like a lamb", that being the ruler Constantine, who instituted the Roman Catholic Church, along his two horns like a lamb, Christ like leaders, Peter, the "worthless" shepherd of Zechariah 11:17, and Paul, the staff "Favor" (Zechariah 11:10), who along with Judas Iscariot (Zechariah 11:12-13), would be "annihilated" in one "month"/generation. Their followers would be among the "many" of Matthew 7, who would follow the pied piper Paul (false prophet) (Matthew 7:15)(dressed in sheep's clothing) down the path to "destruction". Paul's false gospel of Grace (lawlessness) (Matthew 7:23) being the music followed to destruction.

Constantine's law of…321 [C.E] uniting Christians and pagans in the observance of the "venerable day of the sun" It is to be noted that this official solar worship, the final form of paganism in the empire…, was not the traditional Roman-Greek religion of Jupiter, Apollo, Venus, and the other Olympian deities. It was a product of the mingling Hellenistic-Oriental elements, exemplified in Aurelian's establishment of Eastern Sun worship at Rome as the official religion of the empire, and in his new temple enshrining Syrian statutes statues of Bel and the sun…. Thus at last Bel, the god of Babylon, came into the official imperial temple of Rome, the center of the imperial religion. It was this late Roman-Oriental worship of one supreme god, symbolized by the sun and absorbing lesser divinities as subordinates or manifestations of the universal deity, that competed with young Christianity. This was the Roman religion that went down in defeat but infiltrated and colored the victorious church with its own elements, some of which can be seen to this day. (Cramer 4)

On March 7, 321, Sunday was declared the official day of rest, on which markets were banned and public offices were closed,[ Constantine the Great and Christianity - Wikipedia
First of all, who really cares where Sunday came from. No one is worshiping the Sun today. No one has worshiped the Sun in ages. Just like no one worships Thor on Thursday or Woden on Wednesday.

If you read the Apostolic Fathers of the Church, such as the authentic letters of Ignatius, you will find that before the end of the first century, Gentile Christians had begun to worship on the "eighth day" because it was the day Jesus was said to have risen from the dead. In the second century, you see the Gentile Church making a great effort to say "We are not Jews, we are soooo different from Jews, Jews are wrong." They did this via i.e. the debates of Trypho and Justin Martyr, and they did this by deliberately doing things a different way than Jews did. They actually scorned those Christians who still kept a Saturday Shabbat.

Constantine? All he did was make Sunday an Empire wide holiday, since both Pagans and Christians had it as a day of worship already, and he wanted to screw the Jews. He certainly did NOT come up with the idea.

2ndpillar

First of all, who really cares where Sunday came from. No one is worshiping the Sun today. No one has worshiped the Sun in ages. Just like no one worships Thor on Thursday or Woden on Wednesday.

If you read the Apostolic Fathers of the Church, such as the authentic letters of Ignatius, you will find that before the end of the first century, Gentile Christians had begun to worship on the "eighth day" because it was the day Jesus was said to have risen from the dead. In the second century, you see the Gentile Church making a great effort to say "We are not Jews, we are soooo different from Jews, Jews are wrong." They did this via i.e. the debates of Trypho and Justin Martyr, and they did this by deliberately doing things a different way than Jews did. They actually scorned those Christians who still kept a Saturday Shabbat.

Constantine? All he did was make Sunday an Empire wide holiday, since both Pagans and Christians had it as a day of worship already, and he wanted to screw the Jews. He certainly did NOT come up with the idea.

You forget that the original statute was that one was to rest on the 7th day of the week. Your "Ignatius" would be of the church of Paul, which would be linked to the church of Peter, the two making the two horns of the beast, Constantine. The church of Peter and Paul is exemplified by Peter denying Christ 3 times, reflected the early falling away (Zech 13:7). Peter being portrayed in Zechariah 11:16-17 as the "worthless shepherd" who "left the flock", and apparently went to the Gentiles, depending on what chapter of the bible you read. (Acts 15:7)

As reflected by Dt 4, anyone adding or subtracting to the original statutes would be "destroyed".

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You forget that the original statute was that one was to rest on the 7th day of the week. Your "Ignatius" would be of the church of Paul, which would be linked to the church of Peter, the two making the two horns of the beast, Constantine. The church of Peter and Paul is exemplified by Peter denying Christ 3 times, reflected the early falling away (Zech 13:7). Peter being portrayed in Zechariah 11:16-17 as the "worthless shepherd" who "left the flock", and apparently went to the Gentiles, depending on what chapter of the bible you read. (Acts 15:7)

As reflected by Dt 4, anyone adding or subtracting to the original statutes would be "destroyed".
And who was given that Law? The Children of Israel. It was never ever intended that the nations of the world keep the Shabbat. The Torah says that we keep the Shabbat to remember how God took us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. Did God take your ancestors out of slavery in Egypt? I didn't think so.

Look, if you want to copy us and keep the Sabbath, God bless you. I think that having a day of rest, a day where you worship God, is very healthy and happy. And I don't think you are actually keeping the Shabbat the way a Jew does anyhow. So go ahead and keep it and God bless you. My only point is that for you it is not an obligation. And be nice to those who don't interpret the same as you.

Muffled

Jesus in me
If "Christianity" has its foundations firmly based in the religion of Babylon, mother of Roman Christianity, and their leaders are Peter, the "worthless shepherd" of Zechariah 11:16-17, and the false prophet Paul (Zechariah 11:8-10) & (Revelation 19:20-21), then it would probably be best not to be associated with the 1000s of sects associated with that term. The fact that the mark of the beast is associated with that religion kind of makes an associated further detrimental to its' holder.

I believe you don't have a shred of evidence to back up any of what you said. I have the Bible and it says every word is inspired by God.

I believe there is no Babylonian religion in Christianity nor is it founded upon it.

I believe that is total fantasy on your part. It shows you have no understanding of scripture.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I simply don't know what that supposedly has to do with what we're talking about.

BTW, not eating meat on Friday is a form of fasting, and fasting is sanctioned by scripture.

I believe I was being facetious because so much was being made of the names of the days of the week.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe I was being facetious because so much was being made of the names of the days of the week.
As Buddhist dharma teaches, when pointing at the sun one should always remember that the end of one's finger is not the sun. IOW, names are not actual days but stand for certain days.
Jews chose chose to call their day of rest "Shabbat", and English-speaking Christians overwhelming call our day of rest "Sunday". Thus, I fail to see where there's a problem, especially since if a Christian decides to abide by Jewish Law and observe Shabbat, then I simply don't have a problem with that being their choice for them.

GardenLady

The setting aside of Sunday as the Christian sabbath may have it's roots in the Roman Empire but that doesn't make it pagan. Supplanting pagan holidays and festivals with Christian ones was a common practice. Note I say "supplanting" and not "adopting." Some superficial trappings were retained, such as Christmas trees and Easter eggs, but the beliefs were supplanted.

My denomination of origin and my current denomination think of Sunday as the Lords' Day, the day of the resurrection. However one defines and whenever one celebrates, the point is to set aside time for devotion and worship; something we really should do every day. Legalism about which days doesn't seem to me to be the point at all.

I'm not a calendar expert and don't know what calendar was used at the time. Since then the West has been through the Julian and Gregorian calendars. And then there is that Leap Year thing.

As the song says, "Does anybody really know what time it is?"