• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did the worship of the "day of the sun" come from?

2ndpillar

Where did "Christian" worship on the "day of the Sun", Sunday, originate?

Did it not originate per the Roman emperor Constantine's law of 321 AD, which united "Christian" and pagans in the observance of the "venerable day of the sun", and declared "Sunday" as the official day of rest on which markets were banned and public offices were closed. (blue laws)

How were those "dwelling the earth" "deceived"? (Revelation 13:14)

Was it not by the "beast with two horns like a lamb", that being the ruler Constantine, who instituted the Roman Catholic Church, along his two horns like a lamb, Christ like leaders, Peter, the "worthless" shepherd of Zechariah 11:17, and Paul, the staff "Favor" (Zechariah 11:10), who along with Judas Iscariot (Zechariah 11:12-13), would be "annihilated" in one "month"/generation. Their followers would be among the "many" of Matthew 7, who would follow the pied piper Paul (false prophet) (Matthew 7:15)(dressed in sheep's clothing) down the path to "destruction". Paul's false gospel of Grace (lawlessness) (Matthew 7:23) being the music followed to destruction.

Constantine's law of…321 [C.E] uniting Christians and pagans in the observance of the "venerable day of the sun" It is to be noted that this official solar worship, the final form of paganism in the empire…, was not the traditional Roman-Greek religion of Jupiter, Apollo, Venus, and the other Olympian deities. It was a product of the mingling Hellenistic-Oriental elements, exemplified in Aurelian's establishment of Eastern Sun worship at Rome as the official religion of the empire, and in his new temple enshrining Syrian statutes statues of Bel and the sun…. Thus at last Bel, the god of Babylon, came into the official imperial temple of Rome, the center of the imperial religion. It was this late Roman-Oriental worship of one supreme god, symbolized by the sun and absorbing lesser divinities as subordinates or manifestations of the universal deity, that competed with young Christianity. This was the Roman religion that went down in defeat but infiltrated and colored the victorious church with its own elements, some of which can be seen to this day. (Cramer 4)

On March 7, 321, Sunday was declared the official day of rest, on which markets were banned and public offices were closed,[ Constantine the Great and Christianity - Wikipedia

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't know of any Christian denomination that worships the sun, but I do know of some people who believe there are some denominations that do because they don't bother to do the homework by using actual official sources from those denominations. Like the Buddhists teach, when pointing one's finger at the moon, one needs to remember that the end of the finger is not the moon. IOW, we need be careful to not read too much into the use of a word.

Also, just because the following day is the "Moon's Day" (Monday), that also doesn't mean nor imply that there's a Christian denomination that worships the moon on that day.

Terry Sampson

Good grief! Not another inane post by an sabbatarian restorationist "mugwump" who sits with its "mug" on one side of the fence and its "wump" on the other.
What's noteworthy about the OP is that it is posted today, on a day that my calendar tells me is Saturday. Where are you at that you feel comfortable fussing on the interest about which day is the proper day to follow the command to "Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy"?

If you want to be a Jew or even just a Noachide, then have it. If you want to be a follower of Jesus, follow him and quit making hurdles for others to jump over. If you don't want to be either, don't be either.

Colossians 2:16 "Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths."

• ENCYCLOPEDIA OF EARLY CHRISTIANITY SECOND EDITION, Editor Everett Ferguson
    • "The predominant Christian position, however, holds that Lord's day (Sunday) celebrations already began to replace sabbath observances during New Testament times. Just as the sabbath celebrated Israel's deliverance from Egyptian bondage, so the Lord's day (Sunday) celebrated the Christian community's deliverance from captivity to sin, Satan, and worldly passions, made possible by the resurrection on the first day of the week. On this first day, Christians gathered to celebrate the eucharist, commemorating Jesus' death, God's resurrection victory, and the promised final triumph.
    • In the early second century, Ignatius said that Christians "who walked in ancient customs came to a new hope, no longer living for [keeping] the sabbath [meketi sabbatizontesl" (Magn. 9.1-3). Ignatius lauded the Christians who ceased to keep the sabbath (cf. Barn. 15)."

2ndpillar

I don't know of any Christian denomination that worships the sun, but I do know of some people who believe there are some denominations that do because they don't bother to do the homework by using actual official sources from those denominations. Like the Buddhists teach, when pointing one's finger at the moon, one needs to remember that the end of the finger is not the moon. IOW, we need be careful to not read too much into the use of a word.

Also, just because the following day is the "Moon's Day" (Monday), that also doesn't mean nor imply that there's a Christian denomination that worships the moon on that day.

The moon seems to be a prevalent focus of the religion of witchcraft and of Moslem symbolism. The day of the god Woden/Oden/Jupiter, Wednesday, seems to imply veneration of a god by naming a day after them. The same can be seen in the use of months, such as July for Julius Caesar, who was named a god by the Roman Senate, or the month of August for Augustus.

The deception of "those who dwell on the earth" (Rev 13:14) is not limited to your deceived "Christians". They apparently only comprise about 1/3 of those who dwell on the earth.

Other days have the same type of connection with the veneration of gods, such as Saturday for day of Saturn, named after the Roman god Saturn.

2ndpillar

Good grief! Not another inane post by an sabbatarian restorationist "mugwump" who sits with its "mug" on one side of the fence and its "wump" on the other.
What's noteworthy about the OP is that it is posted today, on a day that my calendar tells me is Saturday. Where are you at that you feel comfortable fussing on the interest about which day is the proper day to follow the command to "Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy"?

If you want to be a Jew or even just a Noachide, then have it. If you want to be a follower of Jesus, follow him and quit making hurdles for others to jump over. If you don't want to be either, don't be either.

Colossians 2:16 "Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths."

• ENCYCLOPEDIA OF EARLY CHRISTIANITY SECOND EDITION, Editor Everett Ferguson
    • "The predominant Christian position, however, holds that Lord's day (Sunday) celebrations already began to replace sabbath observances during New Testament times. Just as the sabbath celebrated Israel's deliverance from Egyptian bondage, so the Lord's day (Sunday) celebrated the Christian community's deliverance from captivity to sin, Satan, and worldly passions, made possible by the resurrection on the first day of the week. On this first day, Christians gathered to celebrate the eucharist, commemorating Jesus' death, God's resurrection victory, and the promised final triumph.
    • In the early second century, Ignatius said that Christians "who walked in ancient customs came to a new hope, no longer living for [keeping] the sabbath [meketi sabbatizontesl" (Magn. 9.1-3). Ignatius lauded the Christians who ceased to keep the sabbath (cf. Barn. 15)."

Your foundation material seem to be related to the "false prophet" Paul, (Mt 7:15 & Rev 16) and the daughters of Babylon, which would include the Roman Church and her daughters.. You failed to quote Yeshua (Matthew 7:23 & Matthew 5:17-19). Keep in mind that early church reformation leaders called the Roman church the harlot of Babylon. That would make their churches Babylon daughters. One must "come out of her" (daughters of Babylon), or suffer her plagues (Revelation 18:4).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
From Indo-European people. It was the day of vernal equinox and the beginning of their New Year (Nau-ruz).

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe it comes from you. I certainly have nothing to do with it. I worship Jesus on Sunday.

Muffled

Jesus in me

And I suppose it doesn't mean that Catholics eat fried fish because it is Friday.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Your foundation material seem to be related to the "false prophet" Paul, (Mt 7:15 & Rev 16) and the daughters of Babylon, which would include the Roman Church and her daughters.. You failed to quote Yeshua (Matthew 7:23 & Matthew 5:17-19). Keep in mind that early church reformation leaders called the Roman church the harlot of Babylon. That would make their churches Babylon daughters. One must "come out of her" (daughters of Babylon), or suffer her plagues (Revelation 18:4).

I believe anyone who thinks Paul is a false prophet is not really a Christian.

2ndpillar

I believe anyone who thinks Paul is a false prophet is not really a Christian.

If "Christianity" has its foundations firmly based in the religion of Babylon, mother of Roman Christianity, and their leaders are Peter, the "worthless shepherd" of Zechariah 11:16-17, and the false prophet Paul (Zechariah 11:8-10) & (Revelation 19:20-21), then it would probably be best not to be associated with the 1000s of sects associated with that term. The fact that the mark of the beast is associated with that religion kind of makes an associated further detrimental to its' holder.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And I suppose it doesn't mean that Catholics eat fried fish because it is Friday.
I simply don't know what that supposedly has to do with what we're talking about.

BTW, not eating meat on Friday is a form of fasting, and fasting is sanctioned by scripture.

dfnj

Did it not originate per the Roman emperor Constantine's law of 321 AD, which united "Christian" and pagans in the observance of the "venerable day of the sun", and declared "Sunday" as the official day of rest on which markets were banned and public offices were closed. (blue laws)

How were those "dwelling the earth" "deceived"? (Revelation 13:14)

Was it not by the "beast with two horns like a lamb", that being the ruler Constantine, who instituted the Roman Catholic Church, along his two horns like a lamb, Christ like leaders, Peter, the "worthless" shepherd of Zechariah 11:17, and Paul, the staff "Favor" (Zechariah 11:10), who along with Judas Iscariot (Zechariah 11:12-13), would be "annihilated" in one "month"/generation. Their followers would be among the "many" of Matthew 7, who would follow the pied piper Paul (false prophet) (Matthew 7:15)(dressed in sheep's clothing) down the path to "destruction". Paul's false gospel of Grace (lawlessness) (Matthew 7:23) being the music followed to destruction.

Constantine's law of…321 [C.E] uniting Christians and pagans in the observance of the "venerable day of the sun" It is to be noted that this official solar worship, the final form of paganism in the empire…, was not the traditional Roman-Greek religion of Jupiter, Apollo, Venus, and the other Olympian deities. It was a product of the mingling Hellenistic-Oriental elements, exemplified in Aurelian's establishment of Eastern Sun worship at Rome as the official religion of the empire, and in his new temple enshrining Syrian statutes statues of Bel and the sun…. Thus at last Bel, the god of Babylon, came into the official imperial temple of Rome, the center of the imperial religion. It was this late Roman-Oriental worship of one supreme god, symbolized by the sun and absorbing lesser divinities as subordinates or manifestations of the universal deity, that competed with young Christianity. This was the Roman religion that went down in defeat but infiltrated and colored the victorious church with its own elements, some of which can be seen to this day. (Cramer 4)

On March 7, 321, Sunday was declared the official day of rest, on which markets were banned and public offices were closed,[ Constantine the Great and Christianity - Wikipedia

It all came from here:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Did it not originate per the Roman emperor Constantine's law of 321 AD
No, it began before then. Jesus was raised on the first day of the week, and "the Lord's Day" celebrates the Resurrection on that day. In fact, I believe it's Rev. 1:10 that mentions the disciples worshiping on the Lord's Day. Scholars agree that it does, in fact, refer to the first day of the week. This day would not have been known as "Sunday" in the Judaic calendar.

sojourner

If "Christianity" has its foundations firmly based in the religion of Babylon, mother of Roman Christianity, and their leaders are Peter, the "worthless shepherd" of Zechariah 11:16-17, and the false prophet Paul (Zechariah 11:8-10) & (Revelation 19:20-21), then it would probably be best not to be associated with the 1000s of sects associated with that term. The fact that the mark of the beast is associated with that religion kind of makes an associated further detrimental to its' holder.
What an exceptionally poor argument based on bias and supposition. Roman Christianity is no more or less Babylonian than is Judaism. Many biblical texts come to us from earlier Babylonian myth. Peter is never mentioned in Zechariah. Paul is not the "false prophet" mentioned in Revelation. Good grief! Do some friggin' homework before posting baseless, irresponsible drivel like this!

sojourner

Keep in mind that early church reformation leaders called the Roman church the harlot of Babylon.
Keep in mind that the early Reformation leaders also instituted sola scriptura and sola fide, both of which are heretical teachings. This is just another baseless and worthless "I hate Catholics" argument.

sojourner

The moon seems to be a prevalent focus of the religion of witchcraft and of Moslem symbolism. The day of the god Woden/Oden/Jupiter, Wednesday, seems to imply veneration of a god by naming a day after them. The same can be seen in the use of months, such as July for Julius Caesar, who was named a god by the Roman Senate, or the month of August for Augustus.

The deception of "those who dwell on the earth" (Rev 13:14) is not limited to your deceived "Christians". They apparently only comprise about 1/3 of those who dwell on the earth.

Other days have the same type of connection with the veneration of gods, such as Saturday for day of Saturn, named after the Roman god Saturn.
So you'd rather worship... when, again? On Freya-day or Saturn-day? That other religions had other names for the days of the week has no bearing on what meaning the day has for other people.

2ndpillar

So you'd rather worship... when, again? On Freya-day or Saturn-day? That other religions had other names for the days of the week has no bearing on what meaning the day has for other people.

I think the 4th command reads "Remember the Sabbath", which was the 7th day of the week. The pagans can call it "Saturn day" to commemorate one of their gods, but that wouldn't be in the realm of keeping the Sabbath.

2ndpillar

Keep in mind that the early Reformation leaders also instituted sola scriptura and sola fide, both of which are heretical teachings. This is just another baseless and worthless "I hate Catholics" argument.

You kind of missed the point. Describing the Roman church as "Babylon", who was mother of harlots, simply makes them the harlot's daughters . Despite the fact that the Roman church was a daughter of the original Babylon. With the reformation leaders condemning the Roman church, they condemned themselves. But of course, in that light, they were perfectly justified.

2ndpillar

What an exceptionally poor argument based on bias and supposition. Roman Christianity is no more or less Babylonian than is Judaism. Many biblical texts come to us from earlier Babylonian myth. Peter is never mentioned in Zechariah. Paul is not the "false prophet" mentioned in Revelation. Good grief! Do some friggin' homework before posting baseless, irresponsible drivel like this!

The head of the pagan church was the Pontifex Maximus, a title taken from the pagan priests by Julius Caesar, and passed down to Constantine. Under this title Constantine instituted the Roman church in 325 AD, and incorporated the pagan trinity concept into the Roman Christian church, and this was later legitimized in 367 AD by another Roman Emperor. And both the Roman church and the reformation churches hold the same doctrine.

And as far as Peter in Zechariah 11, Peter was one of 3 shepherds mentioned who were to die in the same month (month of years)(generation) The other two was the shepherd called "Favor", probably because of his false gospel of grace, who was to try and "break my covenant" made with "all the peoples", which would be the covenant made with Abraham (father of peoples), and called the covenant of circumcision. The 3rd shepherd was Judas Iscariot (Zechariah 11:12-13) as pointed out in the quote of Mt 27:9-10). As the Jews worshipped the gods of Babylon, they were punished.