• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did GOD come from....?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
If we see god as the creator, then who created GOD?

Regards,

Mark.:rainbow1:

Hey Mark,

If we are going to go with a causality explanation of the universe (i.e. everything in the universe had been caused.) then the only thing that can have caused it is something uncaused. This eliminates the need for a caused creator if the creator is uncaused. I'd say we don't know of an uncaused being but that one must exist if the universe had a cause/ beginning.

Westy

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Dunno.

This isn't really an issue for me, and this seems something more for those for whom Creator is different from creation.
Why's that?

I don't think that declaring the creator and the creation to be the same thing really resolves the question. If anything, it just piles more questions on top of it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It's a thoughtless question based on sloppy reasoning. The so-called intended argument goes something like ...
  • Theists argue that God must exist because the Cosmos needs a Creator.
  • But if everything that exists requires a Creator, them something must have created God.
  • If, however, you agree that God can exist without being created by something.
  • Then it follows that you must agree that the Cosmos can exist without being created by something.
The argument is worthless.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Why's that?

I don't think that declaring the creator and the creation to be the same thing really resolves the question. If anything, it just piles more questions on top of it.
Simply, because the universe and God are pretty much the same in my eyes, and there's not some separate creating deity poofing things randomly into existence or anything, it doesn't have an affect on me for who created the universe and who created God.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
If we see god as the creator, then who created GOD?

Regards,

Mark.:rainbow1:
The imagination and the barney bad........ no? Well God exists out side of creation and before creation....so those questions have no meaning.
God does not exist God just is...... exist is something his creation does...
maybe God came from another dimension? maybe God is a super computer who survived the end of the previous reality/universe and was programmed to recreate the universe and life...

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
It's a thoughtless question based on sloppy reasoning. The so-called intended argument goes something like ...
  • But if everything that exists requires a Creator, them something must have created God.
  • Then it follows that you must agree that the Cosmos can exist without being created by something.
idk whose side your arguing for. not that there are sides here... see my above post....... kinda breaks the chain of this logic.....all though i think i agree with your post.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I disagree. I think it's a perfectly reasonable response to the Cosmological Argument, which itself is put forward often enough by theists that we can assume its premises for the purposes of a conversation without really getting out into uncharted territory.

If you don't like the Cosmological Argument, fine; neither do I. But you can't deny that it's a major part of mainstream theology.

Simply, because the universe and God are pretty much the same in my eyes, and there's not some separate creating deity poofing things randomly into existence or anything, it doesn't have an affect on me for who created the universe and who created God.
In that model, how exactly is God (or the universe) a creator? How is the universe (or God) a creation?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I disagree. I think it's a perfectly reasonable response to the Cosmological Argument, ...
It is precisely not "a perfectly reasonable response to the Cosmological Argument", and that is its problem. The Cosmological Argument does not argue that everything must be caused but, rather, that everything in nature must be caused, leading to (a) infinite regress, or (b) the necessity of an uncaused entity which can only be preternatural. To put forward an 'argument' as implied by the OP is to essentially say: "There can't be a God because for God to be uncaused would by unnatural." Well, gee ... :clap

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is precisely not "a perfectly reasonable response to the Cosmological Argument", and that is its problem. The Cosmological Argument does not argue that everything must be caused but, rather, that everything in nature must be caused, leading to (a) infinite regress, or (b) the necessity of an uncaused entity which can only be preternatural. To put forward an 'argument' as implied by the OP is to essentially say: "There can't be a God because for God to be uncaused would by unnatural." Well, gee ... :clap
That's a distortion of the Cosmological Argument. At the very least, it leaves important steps out.

To get from "an uncaused entity which can only be preternatural", we would need to argue, or at least assume, that:

- a set of "preternatural" things exists.
- the universe is not a member of this set.
- God, and apparently only God, is a member.

The Cosmological Argument doesn't work as an argument for God without this part, and the special pleading inherent in it is what was addressed by the OP.