• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are YOUR Laws written?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Jeremiah 31:33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
-NIV

This passage is quoted twice by the author of Hebrews in chapters 8 and 10. But really, what does this mean to YOU? Are God's rules written on your heart or do you accept a "higher version" in terms of a manuscript or church dogma? Does your understanding of the scriptures and of God supersede anyone else's understanding?

This was prompted by a discourse where I saw the NT used as a "Rule Book" rather than in "Inspiration".

joeboonda

Hi, I've no idea where this came from so I'm just typing my own thing. Romans 1&2 says it too, that God wrote His laws in our heart. That is our conscience, meaning 'with knowledge'. When we do something wrong, we know it. We can become hardened or decieved even to the point that we call good bad and bad good, but we all have a conscience. This conscience along with the creation showing forth the handiwork of a Creator, teaches everybody something of absolute importance. Anyone in the world, having never read a scripture or heard a sermon has some of the 'light of Christ' which 'lighteth all men' (Jn 1). By these 2 things we all can know we sometimes (well, alot) do wrong, and can then ask the Creator to forgive us. Even without ever hearing of Christ, anyone has this ability to know there is a God and to know when we do wrong and to be able to ask forgiveness, and of course anyone who cries to the Lord, He hears and forgives. Ok, 'nuff said.
Peace and grace
Mike

Scuba Pete

It is my opinion that quite a few Christians have exchanged one set of written laws for yet another set of written laws. Rather than use the Spirit and the laws written on their hearts, they try to codify the New Testament into another rule book.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It is my opinion that quite a few Christians have exchanged one set of written laws for yet another set of written laws. Rather than use the Spirit and the laws written on their hearts, they try to codify the New Testament into another rule book.

I agree. There are of course the civil, criminal and regulatory laws imposed by various governmental authorities by power of force. But spiritually, I am a law unto myself.

Scuba Pete

The idea that there are "Church Laws" really intrigues me. The concept of "Freedom" is so integral to Christianity that I find these to be anathema.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am not especially into laws but if other people need them I won't wimper too loudly. :areyoucra

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
"The Tao that can be talked about is not the true Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name." - Tao Te Ching, first two sentences.

So much for scripture as ultimate authority.

"Taoists believe that (1) there is a way the world should be, a way that, in some deep sense, it is; (2) human beings can understand this and need to have and follow such knowledge if they and they world are to exist in harmony...Most early Chinese thinkers shared similar beliefs, but Taoists are distinct in claiming that the Way is not codifiable, indeed is ineffable. Taoists thus are metaphysical and ethical realists, but epistemological sceptics of an unusual sort, being language sceptics. Taoists further deny that one can strive successfully to attain the Way; Taoist self-cultivation is a process not of accumulation but of paring away. One must unweave the social fabric, forsake one's cultural conditioning, and abandon rational thought, to be led instead by one's tzu jan (spontaneous) inclinations. With a hsu (tenuous mind), one then will perceive the li (pattern) of the cosmos and live by wu wei (non-action/harmony)." - Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy

So the classical Taoist position could simply be put that if God has written laws somewhere that we are to follow they aren't going to be in a book or a particular religion but buried deep within us. Further, we can only live by such laws when we admit that we do not and can not know God and leave behind attempts to grasp the divine. Its a position I agree with even if I find it hard to put into practice.

Scuba Pete

To focus our discussion a bit more... I am referring only to your moral/ethical/religious law(s) and would love to hear from more Christians on this.

yuvgotmel

The Mesotes provides a pretty good definition for what you are asking about in this thread.

http://www.metahistory.org/lexicon_M.php

Mesotes Literally, "medium, intermediary." Also spelled "mijotes," meaning "half-united." A strange term found only a couple of times in the Gnostic materials, NHC and elsewhere, referring to the intrapsychic capacity of humans being to follow their hearts and find their way in life by reliance on interior guidance.

The Mesotes might be defined as the internal auto-pilot function evident in many species, and not unique to humanity: the difference being that with other species the navigational instinct operates automatically, but with human beings, it has to be consciously engaged. Hence the term mijotes, "half-united," because we of the human species are only half-united with our guiding instincts. In this sense, we are less evolved that other species, like owls, bees, eagles and whales, who function infallibly from their internal instincts. On the other hand, due to the unusual "slack" in our psychic steering mechanism, we have the opportunity to develop as self-guiding individuals, each conscious of his or her own lifepath — whereas other animals, even when they develop a high degree of individuality, remain always closely bound to the generic program of their species.

The Inner Guide

The Mesotes is the innate capacity that enables us to direct our personal lives toward goals that transcend mere personal limits. As such, it is closely connected with the heart-felt intuition that humanity lives in kinship with all species. It is through the inter-species link, at least in part, that we as individuals realize our true path in life. In other words, the inner guiding function allows us to realize a transpersonal focus, but obliges us to develop it within a cross-species or inter-species perspective.

The function of the "inner guide" was called "the living Jesus" in Mystery School teachings. The code found in the NHC, IS etone, indicates Iasius etone, "the ever-living healer." Even if IS is decoded as the name "Jesus," it must be allowed that Gnostics and initiates in the Mysteries did not regard the historical Jesus, or any historical person, as the ever-living healer and inner guide. The Coptic word etone denotes living in a manner that transcends a discrete, incarnated person. The ever-living or ever-lasting guide cannot be identified with an historical person who lives and dies within finite limits.

The Mesotes has been widely recognized in religious teachings, mysticism, and modern psychology, and it may be loosely equated with the "transcendent function" in the individuation process of C. G. Jung. In New Age terms the Mesotes is widely recognized as the "inner guide." In New Age Christological terms, it is called the "Etheric Christ." Many people in many cultures through the ages have encountered the inner guide, but unfortunately, due to the massive impact of Catholic and Christian indoctrination, witnesses tend to identify that mystical entity with the figure of the historical Jesus, and, in turn, with the superhuman Christ of Pauline and Johannine theology. This association is totally misleading.

Also, most modern interpretations of the inner guiding presence assume that it directs people toward personal fulfillment, rather than towards transpersonal aims. There is a strong narcissistic slant here, typical of the self-concern of the Piscean Age. Jesus, the primary mythological figure of the Age, is identified with the inner presence and regarded as an indwelling spiritual entity who personally guides and protects each individual. The Mesotes is nothing like this. The essential guiding function of the Mesotes becomes hopelessly deviated when such doctrinal concepts and narcissistic expectations are projected upon it. Consider this analogy:
Imagine that you are given a compass to guide you on a journey through unknown territory. The needle of the compass is aligned to the magnetic field of the Earth, hence it provides you with a constant global or cosmic orientation. On the face of the compass are directions such as N, SWS, SE, which assist you in knowing where you are going and in holding a steady course. Now imagine that upon receiving this marvellous tool for self-guidance, you paint over the directions on the face with various private symbols that are dear to you, or with symbols you have inherited from others, believing they have a deep religious significance. You end up with a compass embellished with extraneous markings. At the N position, for instance, you write "GOD" or you inscribe some religious symbol. Soon you forget the purpose of the needle, you lose the global alignment. The compass no longer reads the territory where you are actually walking, it refers to an invisible realm, elsewhere, non-physical, out of this world. All that matters now is that at certain moments the needle points to the cherished symbols into which you read deep meaning. Thus although you have in your hand a device that allows you to hold a steady course, and map your own journey in real territory, you wander in all directions guided by the meaning that you attach to the extraneous markings on the face of the compass.
This is an analogy to what people commonly do with the Mesotes experience. In ancient times this did not occur because tribal people around the world were not subjected to a transmundane, earth-rejecting indoctrination that conditioned them to see the inner guide as a single, unique, historical figure. Hence, native people had vague names for the Mesotes, names such as Manitou, Manu, Maniboozoo, and others beginning with the root man-; or simply, the "Great Spirit." (The root man- does not indicate man or manhood, but specifically alludes to the inner voice of thinking, the mantrum that directs human thinking.) The Algonquin term, Manitou, means just that: the Great Spirit. It was understood as a mysterious presence who could not be pinned down or readily understood. In the vision quest of Native Americans, each candidate was expected to meet the Manitou at a certain moment, to gain guidance for living. What came out of this encounter was always a spontaneous development, a mystery to be explored and unfolded through every day of one's life, never a doctrinal or conclusive statement.​

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
On a huge bathroom wall somewhere in Tibet.
icon14.gif

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The Mesotes has been widely recognized in religious teachings, mysticism, and modern psychology, and it may be loosely equated with the "transcendent function" in the individuation process of C. G. Jung. In New Age terms the Mesotes is widely recognized as the "inner guide." In New Age Christological terms, it is called the "Etheric Christ." Many people in many cultures through the ages have encountered the inner guide, but unfortunately, due to the massive impact of Catholic and Christian indoctrination, witnesses tend to identify that mystical entity with the figure of the historical Jesus, and, in turn, with the superhuman Christ of Pauline and Johannine theology. This association is totally misleading.

Even worse some christians will try to tell you that any intuitive knowledge or feeling of guidance is actually "of the devil", ie, that everything God had to say to us is already written in the Bible (this, incidently, is one of the biggest reasons I started studying the Bible and Chrisitianity in the first place).

I guess God's no longer on speaking terms with us :p . Or maybe it's just that alot of these people aren't on speaking terms with their own conscience (?) Had a disagreement somewhere along the way they couldn't resolve?

Great post btw Mel.

joeboonda

Even worse some christians will try to tell you that any intuitive knowledge or feeling of guidance is actually "of the devil", ie, that everything God had to say to us is already written in the Bible (this, incidently, is one of the biggest reasons I started studying the Bible and Chrisitianity in the first place).

I guess God's no longer on speaking terms with us :p . Or maybe it's just that alot of these people aren't on speaking terms with their own conscience (?) Had a disagreement somewhere along the way they couldn't resolve?

Great post btw Mel.

As a Christian, I would clarify what I think anyway. We are lead by the Holy Spirit, in our daily lives, and it is important to listen not just to our conscience, but also to our 'intuitive' 'still small' inner voice, if you will. But, where revelation of God pertaining to doctrine, prophecy, etc, we do have everything we need for now in the Bible, it contains everything we need to 'furnish us unto every good work'. Satan is a master of deception and can and does use our emotions and feelings against us. If our feelings are telling us something opposed to what the Bible says, then we know it is not the Holy Spirit, for He only bears witness to the truth. For example, if you just did something wrong the devil tells you 'see, look at you, you aren't really saved!' But then you look at the many promises in the Bible that say if you have trusted Jesus you are saved, are passed from death to life, never to pass back into condemnation, nothing able to pluck you out, and Jesus will in no wise cast us out or forsake us. So, we believe the promise of scripture over emotion when it goes against scriptural truth.

yuvgotmel

Even worse some christians will try to tell you that any intuitive knowledge or feeling of guidance is actually "of the devil", ie, that everything God had to say to us is already written in the Bible ...

Good points Quagmire.

FYI, not all Christians are that dogmatic; and Christians aren't the only ones who are known for that type of dogmatic response. Religions, generally speaking, (even among some of the Gnostic groups that I've been a part of), tend to generate followers of books. They quote and quote and quote and quote ...and argue over those quotes until the sun sets and rises for several millennium.

However, as I have stated elsewhere, it is each of us that brings meaning to the words on the pages. Like is written above: the Mesotes is an Inner Guide; and when others scribble over the compass points, and then new inscriptions are written, and then other persons--later on--attempt to read those new inscriptions, it's a mess. The original meanings are lost to history.

It's like spiral galaxies spinning off of each other, branching into an endless see of Chaos and Outer Darkness. That is how I view much of religious dogma and their many branches and sects.

And too, there are Biblical teachings concerning the laws written on the heart....mainly because the texts can be so easily corrupted through translation and the meanings each person brings to the words on the pages.

Let this be emphasized: No matter whether an individual or group attempts to publically displace their thoughts/feelings onto some religious texts or otherwise, they must own their thoughts/feelings. Therefore no individual or group can excuse their behaviors and actions onto something else...even if it is a religious text.

The heart's desires are quite obvious and evidenced in the way our realm bends to conform around our thoughts. (This gets into some heavy science...)

Often times, as the world shapes to reflect the heart's desires, there comes a desire to "hide" (as seen from the Garden of Eden) and/or displace or excuse those behaviors and actions onto something else and also to cause their desires/thoughts/feelings to be solidified in spacetime, in hopes to bend things to their benefit. But those people are neither hiding or able to excuse their inner desires by superimposing them on some religious texts. They are very noticed--and the tides are a'changin'.

:disco: Allow me to hypnotize you with my disco god.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
As a Christian, I would clarify what I think anyway. We are lead by the Holy Spirit, in our daily lives, and it is important to listen not just to our conscience, but also to our 'intuitive' 'still small' inner voice, if you will. But, where revelation of God pertaining to doctrine, prophecy, etc, we do have everything we need for now in the Bible, it contains everything we need to 'furnish us unto every good work'. Satan is a master of deception and can and does use our emotions and feelings against us. If our feelings are telling us something opposed to what the Bible says, then we know it is not the Holy Spirit, for He only bears witness to the truth. For example, if you just did something wrong the devil tells you 'see, look at you, you aren't really saved!' But then you look at the many promises in the Bible that say if you have trusted Jesus you are saved, are passed from death to life, never to pass back into condemnation, nothing able to pluck you out, and Jesus will in no wise cast us out or forsake us. So, we believe the promise of scripture over emotion when it goes against scriptural truth.

I see nothing unreasonable about any of this
icon14.gif

One thing though; intuition, as I understand it, isn't the same as emotion. When I say "feeling of guidance" the feeling is just a by-product, not the actual guiding principle itself.

In fact, in my experience, in order to gain access to "the still small voice" emotion is one of the first things that has to be set aside.

Scuba Pete

But, where revelation of God pertaining to doctrine, prophecy, etc,
All too often, I have seen Christians extrapolate or interpolate that doctrine and turn it into yet another law.

It amazes me how quickly we throw the reborn heart under the Bus. It appears that many think that God's ability to make it new is just temporary. But I see all of Christianity revolving around our hearts growing into God's Grace.

ayani

kind of reminds me of the tradition concerning Mohammed and Gabriel's first meeting: Mohammed was commanded to recite- when he protested that he was illiterate, Gabriel enscribed the words on his heart so he would not forget.

and again of the verse "the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life".