• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When I look up at the sky at night, and see the stars...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Who says life has value to the universe? Just ask it and wait for the answer.

Who says we (humans) are even valuable to our own planet? Certainly in recent (few hundred years) we seem to be doing our best to destroy it

Life is only valuable to itself and in the scheme of things (the universe) meh!
The universe obviously deems life of value, for it is an integral of it,

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The universe obviously deems life of value, for it is an integral of it,

Is it?

There is nowhere else in the universe that we know life exists. And where we do know life exists, the dominant species is doing its best to extinguish that life

ChristineM

Premium Member
All but the flat earthers refuse to acknowledge the certainty. Btw, did you hear that they have found traces of phosphine in the clouds of Venus?

On Sept. 14, 2020, a new planet was added to the list of potentially habitable worlds in the Solar System: Venus.
The detection of phosphine in Venus' clouds is a big deal – here's how we can find out if it's a sign of life

What certainty? That as far as we know we are the only life?

Or perhaps that life is a product of entropy and can only exist for a very short (in universal) terms time.

Or perhaps the vast majority of the universe is inhospitable to life, not only do solar systems have their small goldilocks zones, so do galaxies.

Yes, traces of the gas, not life.

I for one would be well pleased if life we're found elsewhere.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I know, but the flat earthers couldn't be proven wrong for God knows how long either. So I shall leave you to your by and large pessimism, but am pleased that you hope for discovery of life beyond, an encouraging ray of optimistic light,

ChristineM

Premium Member
I know, but the flat earthers couldn't be proven wrong for God knows how long either. So I shall leave you to your by and large pessimism, but am pleased that you hope for discovery of life beyond, an encouraging ray of optimistic light,

It has been known that the earth is not flat since at least the times of ancient Greece.

Flat eathers could be proven wrong with nothing more than than a stick in the ground or watching a ship disappear over the horizon. But just like today, there are always those who ignore evidence.

Of the thousands of exo planet's thus discovered, approapproximately 10% fall into the category of possibly able to sustain life. The vast majority of these are within our own galaxies habitable zone.

10% of planet's in the habitable zone, is not many. Life being possibly for only a fraction of those planets existence does not spell "ingegral" tp me

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
"Flat eathers could be proven wrong with nothing more than than a stick in the ground or watching a ship disappear over the horizon. But just like today, there are always those who ignore evidence."

Couldn't agree more, status quo bias is ubiquitous among all walks of life.

Straw Dog

...I marvel at how insignificant I am. And, it's a good thing.

What do you find fascinating about your life in comparison to the universe?

What I find fascinating is that my life is a microcosm. On the macro level, I’m in awe of the vastness and beauty of the cosmos. On the micro level, I’m intrigued by the complexity of small systems and lives intricately intertwined with my own. I find myself existing in the middle-earth between the very large and the very small, relatively insignificant and relatively significant.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
^ And the universe continues to polish the lens with appropriate karmic retribution until there is no apparent separation between the seer and the seen.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
appropriate karmic retribution
A good start is to drop the notion that we are anything less than perfect as we are. People dump that garbage on their kids, and it can take a lifetime to dig their way out of it before seeing the light. You can't love others without first loving yourself.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
^ Hmmm, were aware that karma is appropriate, it can be good or the other depending on the appropriateness. Most parents reward their children when they are helpful and punish them when they are say cruel and unhelpful in order they grow up a polished and worthy individual. Oh, and be aware of narcissism, one must know what and who one really is to give unconditional love.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
^ Hmmm, were aware that karma is appropriate, it can be good or the other depending on the appropriateness. Most parents reward their children when they are helpful and punish them when they are say cruel and unhelpful in order they grow up a polished and worthy individual. Oh, and be aware of narcissism, one must know what and who one really is to give unconditional love.
I can't subscribe to the notion that the Universe gives a turd about Karma; it is a concept of mind, in my opinion. Much like all other shackles of illusion we throw on our children, it is an idea that has no force other than that which we want to prescribe. Again, give your children love, patience and understanding so that they learn to give the same to others. Yes, you need to love yourself to appreciate others.

That being said, my wireless keyboard has been dishing out karmic retribution all day. Must have been that stellar review I left on Amazon. Go figure. I'm out for the night until I figure out a solution or get a new keyboard.