• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When does someone deserve to die?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there is any one condition that I can say someone deserves to die in. There's so many variables, and limitations on the ability to get the correct information for judgement. It's why I'm against capitol punishment. I can think of times where self-defense, war-time, etc may be permissible, but I do think every, and I do mean every, case deserves thorough investigation, and a pretty large margin for error to be considered.

<joke>That said, I'm not saying that Trump deserves to die, but if he were drowning I would throw him a roll of paper towels and call him ungrateful if he complained.</joke>

Curious George

Veteran Member
I don't think there is any one condition that I can say someone deserves to die in. There's so many variables, and limitations on the ability to get the correct information for judgement. It's why I'm against capitol punishment. I can think of times where self-defense, war-time, etc may be permissible...
When?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think there is any one condition that I can say someone deserves to die in. There's so many variables, and limitations on the ability to get the correct information for judgement. It's why I'm against capitol punishment. I can think of times where self-defense, war-time, etc may be permissible, but I do think every, and I do mean every, case deserves thorough investigation, and a pretty large margin for error to be considered.

<joke>That said, I'm not saying that Trump deserves to die, but if he were drowning I would throw him a roll of paper towels and call him ungrateful if he complained.</joke>

No one deserves to die. Sounds like remnants of original sin belief in that when someone sins to cure them is to take them out of the picture like the hell view. I never agreed with that, of course, but a lot of society here (US) still thinks that way.

I see it like this. If I were a serial killer, I would be horrified if someone said I deserved to die. If I knew after the fifth kill I wanted to change my life who knows me better, them or me?

When does limiting my freedom become taking my freedom as a person, rather than just shifting my environment and peers I hang around?

Bob the Unbeliever

That's an easy one: never.

Note--- this is a vastly different question than, "When is someone allowed to die?" Answer: if they are otherwise of sound mind? Whenever they like.

I do believe in the sanctity of Bodily Autonomy, including the right to die with dignity, should one so choose.

But deserve to die? Never.

However, due to Bodily Autonomy? I would also grant someone the right to self-defense, even to the point of lethal force. That force should stop, the moment it isn't a matter of self defense.

Thus? If someone breaks into a home, using credible threat of deadly force, the home owner should have the right to shoot (or otherwise) back. But. Once the intruder has been subdued, or if he runs away? The right to keep shooting ends.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Presuming that you are speaking of death of the body and mind, anyone who lives deserves to die.

I think it would be quite inhumane to force someone to live forever.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I see it like this. If I were a serial killer, I would be horrified if someone said I deserved to die. If I knew after the fifth kill I wanted to change my life who knows me better, them or me?

Probably them. Unless you don't think self-delusion or addictive behaviours are real.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Note--- this is a vastly different question than, "When is someone allowed to die?" Answer: if they are otherwise of sound mind? Whenever they like.

I do believe in the sanctity of Bodily Autonomy, including the right to die with dignity, should one so choose.

However, due to Bodily Autonomy? I would also grant someone the right to self-defense, even to the point of lethal force. That force should stop, the moment it isn't a matter of self defense.

Thus? If someone breaks into a home, using credible threat of deadly force, the home owner should have the right to shoot (or otherwise) back. But. Once the intruder has been subdued, or if he runs away? The right to keep shooting ends.
I knew someone would take apart the deserve word choice.

Is self defense applicable to police officers or soldiers in war under your worldview?

Regarding choice to die? Is that applicable to children? A "sound mind" is a somewhat esoteric standard.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Probably them. Unless you don't think self-delusion or addictive behaviours are real.

That doesn't make up the majority. But I don't see then deserving to die regardless their mentality. I'm sure not all serial killers are ill. We do choose our actions.

But as a human being, I'd be horrified if someone took my freedom as a person. I know some people can't tell the difference between limiting ones freedom because of crime or taking the identity of a person, but there's nothing one can do since everyone is pushed into one category.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Presuming that you are speaking of death of the body and mind, anyone who lives deserves to die.

I think it would be quite inhumane to force someone to live forever.

Who says they deserve to die?

We die just because we are born. It's just the natural part of life unless there is a god factor involved then he probably thinks we do.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That doesn't make up the majority.

Sure it does. We all delude ourselves at times. The degree and impact vary massively.

But I don't see then deserving to die regardless their mentality. I'm sure not all serial killers are ill. We do choose our actions.

I have no issue with you being against capital punishment.
But a person who is NOT Ill, yet proceeds to kill multiple people fitting to a profile seems....

Well, a stain on humanity. Whatever action or inaction we decide to implement.

But as a human being, I'd be horrified if someone took my freedom as a person. I know some people can't tell the difference between limiting ones freedom because of crime or taking the identity of a person, but there's nothing one can do since everyone is pushed into one category.

A serial killer has taken everything from multiple people for reasons not related to anything that victim did. I could care less if a serial killer is 'horrified'.

However, I also subscribe to Nietzsche's view on the Abyss.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Can the intruder not deserve to die while not relieving him consequences of his actions just because he doesn't deserve death?

We experience consequences for our actions but when we say deserve sounds like a god factor involved.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sure it does. We all delude ourselves at times. The degree and impact vary massively.

I have no issue with you being against capital punishment.
But a person who is NOT Ill, yet proceeds to kill multiple people fitting to a profile seems....

Well, a stain on humanity. Whatever action or inaction we decide to implement.

A serial killer has taken everything from multiple people for reasons not related to anything that victim did. I could care less if a serial killer is 'horrified'.

However, I also subscribe to Nietzsche's view on the Abyss.

Sounds like the Holocaust or something. I can see people suffering the consequences for their actions but I'd never see them as less than human just because of What they (we) do.

Why would you deserve to die If you were a serial killer? Case in point.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree, but I didn't ask who, I asked when.

I suppose I misinterpreted the intent of your question due to its ambiguity. I interpreted it as, "When does one have a quality worthy of rewarding them permission to die?"

Given your response, I suppose that wasn't what you meant.

Perhaps "When does a person deserve to be killed?" or "When does a person deserve to have their life taken against their will?" is more along the lines of what you intended to ask?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Who says they deserve to die?

We die just because we are born. It's just the natural part of life unless there is a god factor involved then he probably thinks we do.

Everybody dies (again, presuming we are talking about the expiration of the body and mind). I don't think anyone should be deprived of this privilege.