• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you realize you were straight?

Foxfire

It's all about the Light
I invite anyone who is straight and unashamed to post here and tell us when you found out you were straight. Apparently it is now intolerant and bigoted to be straight and proud in this upside down politically correct society we live in.

Straight and Proud! Unite!

Sees

Dragonslayer
I found out when my little heart was racing after the pretty girl on the pre-school bus smiled at me and invited me to sit next to her...was 4 years old.

misanthropic_clown

I invite anyone who is straight and unashamed to post here and tell us when you found out you were straight. Apparently it is now intolerant and bigoted to be straight and proud in this upside down politically correct society we live in.

Straight and Proud! Unite!

Hello Foxfire.

I'm gay, and until recently I never really saw the point of gay pride. It seemed very silly to me that any sexuality was anything to be particularly proud of, or require such public displays and events.

That is until my uncle relayed his recent experience of finally, at over 30 years old, shaking off the religious dogmatism that had caused him such tremendous psychological pain about his sexuality. After years of denial and hating himself, he marched. People he didn't know cheered him. Strangers high-fived him. Finally, his identity was a source of joy rather than a source of shame. It was a defining moment for him, and a transformative experience.

As it stands, we remain in a society where non-heterosexual orientations are viewed by some to be a source of shame, much to the detriment of many individuals. As such, these displays of empowerment and pride remain, in my new view, rather important in redressing that balance. I'm hopeful to see the day when this becomes redundant and being gay will be seen as just as mundane as being straight is and pride about any sexuality will be just as absurd as I originally thought.

While the social disparity remains, however, so does the need to redress that balance.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm a practicing straight (if that makes sense), but I do have interest in "different things" from time to time, but only a lustful curiosity interest for my viewing pleasures.

Anyways, I'm straight :rolleyes:

Foxfire

It's all about the Light
I'm happy for people who are happy. Just don't force me to like your personal choices when you may not like the answer. I think the pendulum has swung too far IMHO.

I've taken about as much as I can with political correctness gone mad, like letting boys go to girls public bathrooms and vice versa to decide what gender they want to be when they grow up, I get angry.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've taken about as much as I can with political correctness gone mad, like letting boys go to girls public bathrooms and vice versa to decide what gender they want to be when they grow up, I get angry.

Those are trans girls and trans boys. That's not the same as sexual orientation. No one "decides" what gender they're going to be. You either live who you truly are or not. Trans people using the appropriate restroom doesn't hurt anything. So stow your misplaced anger.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm happy for people who are happy. Just don't force me to like your personal choices when you may not like the answer. I think the pendulum has swung too far IMHO.

Saint Frankenstein just made a very fitting comment, but let me ask you something else: what do you mean by "forcing you"?

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm

As a female who grew up in a setting where there was only one correct way of being a woman (the traditional house wife with many children stereotype) I see this from a very different light. It's not just about children define for themselves what gender they are, but also what is means to be that gender. As a society we put a lot of emphasis on silly things that supposedly come with being a boy or a girl. What studies have shown is that many of these stereotypes are culturally acquired. Girls can be tough and boys can be shy, boys can be good at writing and girls can be good at calculus. Just the same way boys are allowed to like boys or feel like they're girls, or vice versa. Freedom means being able to define who you are, without anyone else telling you what you should be. That applies to everyone and their gender and sexual preferences are simply tiny parts of that equation.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa

Those of us who are straight have grown up taking a lot of things for granted because no one persecutes us for being straight. People get upset when you show animosity towards other sexual orientations though. That has nothing to do with you being straight. When gay people "find out" that I'm straight, they don't assume I hate gay people.

Imagine if suddenly, society as a whole decided that blond hair was immoral and wrong and you happened to have blonde hair. No marriage for blonde people! You can fire a blonde person! I don't have to give health care to blonde people! What would you do? Sure, you could dye your hair (live a lie) but the fact that anyone would make you try to change yourself for something you were born with (or else risk physical or psychological harm) would make you mad as hell and you organize a support group for people with blond hair and you'd march in the street and you in general make a lot of noise.

The brunettes and redheads would roll their eyes and say, "what's all the fuss? We don't have parades for our hair type."

Yeah - because your hair type hasn't been arbitrarily deemed socially unacceptable to the point of pretty much being illegal.

Try to put yourself in someone else shoes and realize that a lot of your confusion may come from the fact that you were lucky enough to be born a certain way that shields you from a lot of pain.

:camp:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The whole concept of pride seems wonky. You don't choose your sexual orientation (or your birth country, or your gender), so how can take pride in what you didn't accomplish? "LBGT Pride", to me, sounds more like "LGBT Acceptance", which only the extremely bigoted would take issue with.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The whole concept of pride seems wonky. You don't choose your sexual orientation (or your birth country, or your gender), so how can take pride in what you didn't accomplish? "LBGT Pride", to me, sounds more like "LGBT Acceptance", which only the extremely bigoted would take issue with.
I'd guess that feeling pride about such traits is the result of having formerly felt some rejection over them.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
As a female who grew up in a setting where there was only one correct way of being a woman (the traditional house wife with many children stereotype) I see this from a very different light. It's not just about children define for themselves what gender they are, but also what is means to be that gender. As a society we put a lot of emphasis on silly things that supposedly come with being a boy or a girl. What studies have shown is that many of these stereotypes are culturally acquired. Girls can be tough and boys can be shy, boys can be good at writing and girls can be good at calculus. Just the same way boys are allowed to like boys or feel like they're girls, or vice versa. Freedom means being able to define who you are, without anyone else telling you what you should be. That applies to everyone and their gender and sexual preferences are simply tiny parts of that equation.

Beautifully worded.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I think pride is in what you do, achieve, accomplish, help with, etc. not in what you are born to be, your nature or what circumstances made/make you.

Who you are is who your are and good people will accept you for it. Those who don't accept you for your nature, something you were born with and had no choice in, are not good people and you should leave them be.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

Wow, must be nice to live in a society that fulfills your needs so completely that you have to find such trivial things to get angry about.

You know what makes me angry? Little kids living in the street with no-one to care for them. Little kids being abducted by militants and forced to fight. Kids being abused, starving to death, or dying of treatable illnesses. That sort of thing. I honestly couldn't care less where they poop, as long as it isn't in their own water supply. You might want to reexamine your priorities.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I think pride is in what you do, achieve, accomplish, help with, etc. not in what you are born to be, your nature or what circumstances made/make you.

Who you are is who your are and good people will accept you for it. Those who don't accept you for your nature, something you were born with and had no choice in, are not good people and you should leave them be.

I like the spirit of this post, but I think it ignores just how many serial killers and psychopaths have genetic and biological alterations that make them hard to accept.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

One should certainly feel pride of embracing oneself as he/she is instead of simply doing as many expect and learning to feel ashamed for no good reason.