• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When cooking pasta...

Deidre

Do you:

1) Let the water boil first, without pasta, lid off?
2) Let the water boil first, without pasta, lid on?
3) Place the pasta in cold water and then boil? (lid on or off?)

Normally, I let the water boil first but feeling lazy tonight and the water and pasta are heating up, together.

Lid on! :sweatsmile:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do you:

Normally, I let the water boil first but feeling lazy tonight and the water and pasta are heating up, together.

I add virgin olive oil and boil for 5-10 min, then let sit until its perfect pasta worthy of the saying budda boom, budda bing!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Most of the time, I boil water too with the lid off then add the pasta. @Twilight Hue - I add EVO too to the water, I do this when cooking rice, too.
Pasta: Boil water first, then add pasta
Rice: cold water, salt, and rice go into the pan at the beginning, boil until the bubbles disappear, cover the pan and put on the lowest heat setting (or turn off heat altogether if the pan retains a lot of heat) for about 20 minutes.

Deidre

Can I ask why people boil water with the lid off?
(Assuming you meant sans pasta)
Just watching my grandmother and mom do it this way. I put the lid on though sometimes, like tonight. But the lid on causes the water to boil over into the burner and no lid doesn’t. (If I walk away for too long) Cooking logic?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The way it should be/proper way:
Boiling water first, with seasons added first (I use an Italian herb blend with spaghetti, and it has a double bonus of making the house smell lovely) and NO OIL (sauces will not stick to the noodles as well). No lid, ideally in a glass pot.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just watching my grandmother and mom do it this way. I put the lid on though sometimes, like tonight. But the lid on causes the water to boil over into the burner and no lid doesn’t. (If I walk away for too long) Cooking logic?

Well...that's true. The water gets hotter quicker, is all. Far as I know, anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can I ask why people boil water with the lid off?
(Assuming you meant sans pasta)
My speculation....
Lid on: Too difficult to set proper heat for a boil without it boiling over.
Lid off: The more vigorous the boil, the greater the heat loss due to
turbulence, so it's less sensitive to heat level (ie, it's more stable).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
  1. Boil the water with a bit of salt. It does bring out the taste of the semolina. DO NOT add oil. It will coat the pasta, and your sauce will not cling to it.
  2. I put a lid on the pot before it boils. It may be my imagination but I think it starts to boil faster.
  3. I put the pasta in and let it boil uncovered.
The worst thing to say to an Italian cook...

B4FCD42E-B288-4DE8-B127-C898EB2155C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
Do you:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
  1. Boil the water with a bit of salt. It does bring out the taste of the semolina. DO NOT add oil. It will coat the pasta, and your sauce will not cling to it.
  2. I put a lid on the pot before it boils. It may be my imagination but I think it starts to boil faster.
  3. I put the pasta in and let it boil uncovered.
The worst thing to say to an Italian cook...

View attachment 53254
The real question is how many here realize the culinary value of all that starchy water?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Okay so how about hard boiling eggs? Same questions apply :tearsofjoy:

I have an appliance dedicated to boiling my eggs. I can do it in a pot just fine, but the convenience of putting it in a machine and forgetting about it while having perfectly runny yikes every time is just too good to ignore.

It's like rice. You can cook it on a stove, sure... But why? This is the 21st century. Let's get with the times and buy a rice cooker. :D