• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When cooking pasta...

Deidre

I have an appliance dedicated to boiling my eggs. I can do it in a pot just fine, but the convenience of putting it in a machine and forgetting about it while having perfectly runny yikes every time is just too good to ignore.

It's like rice. You can cook it on a stove, sure... But why? This is the 21st century. Let's get with the times and buy a rice cooker. :D
Lol I have a rice cooker and that is true. I love jasmine rice, what rice do you like?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Do you:

1) Let the water boil first, without pasta, lid off?
2) Let the water boil first, without pasta, lid on?
3) Place the pasta in cold water and then boil? (lid on or off?)

Normally, I let the water boil first but feeling lazy tonight and the water and pasta are heating up, together.

Lid on! :sweatsmile:

Taught to me by an Italian chef.

Don't wash pasta before cooking, it destroys the absorbency

Boil the water, lid on or off. It boils faster with the lid on.

Salt the water well. Pasta is apparently better when cooked in sea water, because I don't have a handy ocean i use a generous half handful of salt.

The salt does 2 things, raises the boiling point a few degrees and salts the pasta.

When vigorously boiling remove the lid and drop the pasta in. Leave the lid off otherwise it will probably bubble up and flood your cooker top with water.

Start testing the pasta a couple of minutes before the recommended time. Take it off boil about a minute before its the right consistency.

Drain the water, Don't plunge into cold water to stop it cooking,

Pour your sauce over the pasta, mix it while heating the sauce, gives it the extra minute cooking. Serve.

Fresh or dried pasta makes little difference

ChristineM

Premium Member
Okay so how about hard boiling eggs? Same questions apply :tearsofjoy:

Funny enough, just done hard boiled eggs to go with our salad.

Put the eggs in the pan with cold water. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and leave until the rest of the food is ready ;-)

Put the pan under a cold running tap for a minute or two, shell the eggs...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What do you use it for? I’ve seen it used on cooking shows - poured over pasta and mixed with garlic and other seasonings?
It's great for sauces. Even store-bought spaghetti sauce in a jar can be good with some herbal doctoring and some pasta water (it also helps the sauce stick to the noodles).

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Lol I have a rice cooker and that is true. I love jasmine rice, what rice do you like?

I do a lot of sushi grade shirt grain rice, but I like all kinds. I just have a cheapo rice maker, but I would like to get a Zujiroshi when I move out. I don't trust my room mate to not ruin something as nice as that and use it when I'm not around to stop her. :D

Yerda

Veteran Member
What do you use it for? I’ve seen it used on cooking shows - poured over pasta and mixed with garlic and other seasonings?
I usually use half a cup or so of the pasta water in whatever sauce I'm making. Adds a wee bit of richness and saltiness. I've also used it for a stock base and I pour it into some soups. It's pretty handy.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Pasta is a pest. I usually end up doing cous cous, a quick fry then add boiling water. The wholewheat stuff is nice.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Pasta is a pest. I usually end up doing cous cous, a quick fry then add boiling water. The wholewheat stuff is nice.

Cous cous is a pasta, salad each tiny grain is hand rolled over on dusky maidens thighs ;-)