• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your view on 'marriages of convenience'?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm completely against it at all costs. Marriage does not just involve the married couple, it could go way beyond that.

Just my opinion really.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Marriage of convenience is as old as the hills and was the basis for most arranged marriages. It's not my cup of tea, but it predates marriages based on love during these historical ages.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Would you be happy to elaborate on why you are so against it?

It's complicated, but basically because it involves the community; getting comfortable with it decreases the chances, of not potentially prevents it, of having happy family. And children; when they are the result of that marriage could be the only victims who did nothing to be in the situation they could potentially get it.

Unfortunately I don't have the skill to elaborate more, my friend. Sorry about that.

I understand it is convenient and has its benefits, but I don't believe they are worth it in comparison.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not my circus, not my monkeys. The only marriage of convenience I've personally witnessed were two asexual individuals who married to help get one citizenship in Australia. They ended up staying together for a very long time too, for companionship if not love. But the one who moved ended up going back to help care for her sick parents.

GoodbyeDave

If it's done for dishonest reasons, then it's immoral and illegal. Of course, if the state didn't get involved with marriage, it wouldn't happen. In Denmark, for example, marrying a Dane does not automatically give you the right to enter the country.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
It's complicated, but basically because it involves the community; getting comfortable with it decreases the chances, of not potentially prevents it, of having happy family. And children; when they are the result of that marriage could be the only victims who did nothing to be in the situation they could potentially get it.

It has become apparent to me that such marriages are rarely convenient in the long run.

It's not my cup of tea

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

One gets what they pay for

If it's done for dishonest reasons, then it's immoral and illegal. Of course, if the state didn't get involved with marriage, it wouldn't happen.

All, what's your perspective on the specific example described in this article (see weblink below) (don't worry, it's not too long)? Does this change your views in any way?

100 Women 2016: My sham marriage
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37470074

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
All, what's your perspective on the specific example described in this article (see weblink below) (don't worry, it's not too long)? Does this change your views in any way?

100 Women 2016: My sham marriage
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37470074

I don't agree/approve of it, but if it is allowed in her beliefs and community, all I can think of is wishing here good luck with the life she chose and felt comfortable with.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I support marriages based on alliances, building wealth, settling tensions between klans, royal power, building business, acquiring land, and stability in family and society.

I think most love marriages are total failures in the end. Yes, some are good - but I notice those who already have strong traditions survive love marriages. But today we have idiots, some boy "Oh I love her" but love is bigger than the big thing between his legs. And you should also love your community and do what is best for everybody, not just fall head over heals for some cutie and then marry her and, dummy, you cannot even support her nor her you.

You also love good food, too. Which is also important even if you don't think so, so either you are a good cook or you are going to regret leaving your Mother.

You will learn love. Or else.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I support marriages based on alliances, building wealth, settling tensions between klans, royal power, building business, acquiring land, and stability in family and society.

Saxon England is on the phone, they want to know if you're willing to marry the princess of Wessex to cement an alliance between the West Saxons and your people; but only on the premise that you promise you and your people will be baptised first.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
I don't agree/approve of it, but if it is allowed in her beliefs and community, all I can think of is wishing here good luck with the life she chose and felt comfortable with.

I think the point is that it (the marriage of convenience) isn't something that is 'allowed' by the community (although it might be widely accepted that this happens, it's just brushed under the carpet), but a necessary workaround given her circumstances. What would you do if you found yourself in her shoes? Would you consider such a marriage of convenience?