• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Your Reason for Believing God Exists?

Magical Wand

I invite you to give an explanation (not too extensive, btw) of why you believe God (viz., the non-material creator of the cosmos) exists. Let's have a discussion about the topic. :)

King Phenomenon

I invite you to give an explanation (not too extensive, btw) of why you believe God exists. Let's have a discussion about the topic. :)
Take away all the ‘rules’ and everyone knows God is infinity. Space that is. Everyone one knows space is infinite. Everyone knows that it’s bugged out awesome.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Some of your threads are a bit difficult to answer. They seem so catered to an Abrahamic view with focus on Christians. I did have that problem my first few months here, myself. It took me months to learn to replace the word "God" with "deity/deities" and so on.

My lord, Shiva, I believe to exist because he gives me small insights. Then when I fact-check them, I find out they're correct. It took me years to have that strong of a spiritual connection with any deity. I accepted Hinduism a little under 1.5 years ago. The problem is, these insights are not something easily understood by others. If I were to talk about them on here - even if I provided some form of evidence, any evidence would get shredded because it simply doesn't pass the barrier needed for non-believers to believe in such a belief.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Man! Where to start?!

Gotta go for now, it’s late.

I’ll be glad to discuss this tomorrow, when I get the time.

Goodnight, my cousin.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Reason? I had no reason at least at the start.

God came into my life in the same way that a warm breeze rustles leaves. I went from being uninterested in anything spiritual to having a sense that there was more to life than the material. That led to the search for some frame of reference I could accept.

Now reason kicked in. Questions such as "If there is a God and God is all loving, there has to be a loving reason for all the suffering in the world?" "If there is a God, then those who harm others have to reap what they sow, proportionally". And to me that necessarily involves reincarnation.

That eliminated Abrahamic religions especially Christianity and Islam because to me a loving God would not cause someone eternal abysmal suffering that is described as hell.

And it eliminated religion as well because all around me were people paying lip service by going to church etc but their hearts were not touched. Today that's called "spiritual but not religious" but back then we had no name for it.

RF rule 6 does allow me to discuss some aspects of this. But let me say simply that a guy came to our local college with the message that drugs not prescribed for a medical purpose were harmful. And further that they would never lead to God or any sort of realization.

At the end of this process I was firmly convinced that there is something beyond the material that some call God, others see as divine nature and some see both immanent and transcendent.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I invite you to give an explanation (not too extensive, btw) of why you believe God (viz., the non-material creator of the cosmos) exists. Let's have a discussion about the topic. :)
From a spiritual seeking p.o.v i can not understand how our universe would suddenly just appear from nothing. So a creator is to me natural part of my belief.
And the spiritual teachings that can awaken people comes from this creator.

RestlessSoul

It’s not my reason that tells me God exists, it’s my Spirit that knows it.

Reason is a great tool but I doubt it ever lead anybody to God. God is perceived not with the mind but with the spirit (though mind, body and spirit are one).

So if we want to know God we need to develop the Spirit. Prayer and meditation enable us to do this, if we approach them with genuine humility, willingness and open mindedness.

The greatest barrier, for those who would know God, is pride. The belief that we are in control of our lives, that we are masters of our own little world; the Ego will do anything to enforce this illusion. I consider it a lifetime’s struggle to embrace humility, abandon pride, and place God’s will before my own.

That last bit is really ****ing hard. The rest is easy, if you want it enough.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member

I just believe. I was brought up as a Catholic and left that by not the belief in God and Jesus.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't "believe God exists". I simply choose to trust in that idea for the benefits that I can gain from doing so. It's called 'faith', not belief.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Take away all the ‘rules’ and everyone knows God is infinity. Space that is. Everyone one knows space is infinite. Everyone knows that it’s bugged out awesome.

Nobody knows that. It is certainly hard to imagine nothing, a spaceless nothing, or for that matter a timeless nothing. Infinity however does not have any capacity to do anything, such as create anything.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Reason? I had no reason at least at the start.

God came into my life in the same way that a warm breeze rustles leaves. I went from being uninterested in anything spiritual to having a sense that there was more to life than the material. That led to the search for some frame of reference I could accept.

Now reason kicked in. Questions such as "If there is a God and God is all loving, there has to be a loving reason for all the suffering in the world?" "If there is a God, then those who harm others have to reap what they sow, proportionally". And to me that necessarily involves reincarnation.

That eliminated Abrahamic religions especially Christianity and Islam because to me a loving God would not cause someone eternal abysmal suffering that is described as hell.

And it eliminated religion as well because all around me were people paying lip service by going to church etc but their hearts were not touched. Today that's called "spiritual but not religious" but back then we had no name for it.

RF rule 6 does allow me to discuss some aspects of this. But let me say simply that a guy came to our local college with the message that drugs not prescribed for a medical purpose were harmful. And further that they would never lead to God or any sort of realization.

At the end of this process I was firmly convinced that there is something beyond the material that some call God, others see as divine nature and some see both immanent and transcendent.

There are good reasons to have a community of believers and not just do it alone.
If God judges us fairly then that is justice that reincarnation gives. It is better because karma and reincarnation are just laws for what we do (as far as I am aware) and an all knowing God sees the heart and what we know.
The concept of hell is pictured a certain way but nobody knows what it is. Death, annihilation is one idea or the complete withdrawing of God from our presence is another. (death of the body being when our spirit goes from the body and the second death when God does from us)
Some see our judgement as being sort of placed at certain distances from God with the worst going all the way to the far reaches of distance from God.
Whatever it is, it requires faith in a loving God for a Christian and knowing that God also is merciful and will not be torturing people forever.
Whatever it is, we will know and understand the necessity of it when it comes or we will find it hard to love God imo

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

My reasons are from personal mystical experiences, and apply only to me. Others who have similar reasons for themselves might relate. It's non-intellectual, and isn't of a 'creator' God in the way you say, as the version of God I understand is both the creator, and His own creation, simultaneously.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe space proves nothing since that is what it is.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Some of your threads are a bit difficult to answer. They seem so catered to an Abrahamic view with focus on Christians. I did have that problem my first few months here, myself. It took me months to learn to replace the word "God" with "deity/deities" and so on.

My lord, Shiva, I believe to exist because he gives me small insights. Then when I fact-check them, I find out they're correct. It took me years to have that strong of a spiritual connection with any deity. I accepted Hinduism a little under 1.5 years ago. The problem is, these insights are not something easily understood by others. If I were to talk about them on here - even if I provided some form of evidence, any evidence would get shredded because it simply doesn't pass the barrier needed for non-believers to believe in such a belief.

I believe Satan and demons would also give you insights but they would not be God. Shiva is supposed to be representative of God and maybe that would be good enough to get Him but it is not a guarantee but then nothing is.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I believe Satan and demons would also give you insights but they would not be God. Shiva is supposed to be representative of God and maybe that would be good enough to get Him but it is not a guarantee but then nothing is.

Well, my relating to Shiva could be partly because I've chosen Left Hand Path, a field which may have slightly different ideas on Satan and demons, although I don't mess with Satan and demons because it'd feel like I was subscribing to an Abrahamic mindset to do so. I haven't experienced any Satan or demons yet. They're probably off tormenting the righteous, and not a doomed, hopeless freethinker like me.

Magical Wand

even if I provided some form of evidence, any evidence would get shredded because it simply doesn't pass the barrier needed for non-believers to believe in such a belief.

So, my question is why do you think non-believers in Shiva would reject the evidence?