• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your favorite mild oath or invocation?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"Good lord!' (Usually said in utter disbelief at the unfettered idiocy of something.)
"Jesus on a stick" (Subtle reference to the cruci-fiction and salvation.)
"**** on Toast" (Used like Holy crap!)
"Oy vey, Batman!"(See the first one)
"Jesus ******* Christ" (Expresses outrage or shock at something monumentally stupid.)
"Just call me Jesus!" (Whenever I perform some minor miracle, lol.)
"I was born at night, but it wasn't last night!" (To those who attempt to fool me.)
"Well Gollllly!" (Like Gomer Pyle)
"Duh!" (Typical reflection on social commentary.)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I have a few:

Son of a mother. (obviously a mix of two curses which ends up being harmless yet still satisfying)

Mary Franklin. (I also use Mark Felt since it has been discovered that he was deep throat)

but mostly I can't say anything at all because my kids will repeat it and get me in trouble.

Booko

Deviled Hen
A curse I use when encountering phenomenally dangerous stupid drivers:

"May you meet someone who drives just like yourself."

And for all occasions: 'Ods Bodkins!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What's your favorite mild oath, or one you heard that you can't get out of your head? Not asking for anything that will tax the automatic censor, mind you.
While we were in Michigan I met Rick's aunt Verla who is almost 80. Whenever she got peeved about something she'd say loudly, "Oh Judas Priest!" I thought that was hilarious.

Booko

Deviled Hen
While we were in Michigan I met Rick's aunt Verla who is almost 80. Whenever she got peeved about something she'd say loudly, "Oh Judas Priest!" I thought that was hilarious.

Maybe it's a Michigan thing, Rhonda. My mom's in the same age range and says Judas Priest rather frequently. That and "Good grief!" (clearly a Peanuts fan)

Smoke

Done here.
A curse I use when encountering phenomenally dangerous stupid drivers:

"May you meet someone who drives just like yourself."
You wouldn't want to hear me in traffic. I'm generally okay on the road out of town, but I live within a couple miles of a public swimming area, two public boat landings, five schools, about twenty malls or shopping centers, and innumerable churches, and I have seemingly endless opportunities for encountering people who are doing at least three damfool things at once.

When I am king, you will not be allowed to drive an SUV unless you can pass your driver's test in it, and if you're caught simultaneously talking on your cellphone and eating fried chicken while driving, any citizen will be allowed to seize your vehicle.

In the meantime, the vocabulary I learned from my Irish grandfather is a living heritage.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
You wouldn't want to hear me in traffic. I'm generally okay on the road out of town, but I live within a couple miles of a public swimming area, two public boat landings, five schools, about twenty malls or shopping centers, and innumerable churches, and I have seemingly endless opportunities for encountering people who are doing at least three damfool things at once.
Geeez, you sound like my husband. Driving with him is probably the only time I come close to disliking his personality. :D He is always yelling at, swearing at and flipping the bird at other drivers. He makes me a nervous wreck in the car. Sometimes I'm nearly mentally exhausted when we arrive at our destination because I've spent so much time trying to soothe or calm him down. I'll never understand why he gets so upset over circumstances he can't control. He says it makes him feel better to gripe while driving.....sure doesn't make me feel better to listen to it though. :p

Smoke

Done here.
Geeez, you sound like my husband. Driving with him is probably the only time I come close to disliking his personality. :D He is always yelling at, swearing at and flipping the bird at other drivers. He makes me a nervous wreck in the car. Sometimes I'm nearly mentally exhausted when we arrive at our destination because I've spent so much time trying to soothe or calm him down. I'll never understand why he gets so upset over circumstances he can't control. He says it makes him feel better to gripe while driving.....sure doesn't make me feel better to listen to it though. :p
When John rides with me, he looks at me like I'm crazy. I guess that's understandable, because I'm not like that under any other circumstances. I'm actually more comfortable driving to Atlanta than to the grocery store. People in Atlanta drive like maniacs and make me feel like Cousin Gomer come to the big city, but I can handle the fear of fiery death better than the exasperation of dealing with endless stupidity. :eek:

Stellify

StarChild
One of my old friends would exclaim "Jesus in a BUCKET!" any time she hurt herself unexpectedly lol :D
Buttons wrote a poem type thing years ago that was a collection of our favorite mild oaths. I helped her out a bit on it....Haha I haven't thought about that in forever. I should ask her if she still has it :p

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
One of my old friends would exclaim "Jesus in a BUCKET!" any time she hurt herself unexpectedly lol :D
Buttons wrote a poem type thing years ago that was a collection of our favorite mild oaths. I helped her out a bit on it....Haha I haven't thought about that in forever. I should ask her if she still has it :p

You know something.... I think I might still have that.... *oh dear gawd*

Stellify

StarChild
You know something.... I think I might still have that.... *oh dear gawd*
Send it to meeeeee!! I'm running out of reasons to not write my philosophy paper lol:cover:
Although I think I at least know what part of the Republic I want to use.
Haha I still get "Emotional Undertow" stuck in my head every now and then....
Well....ok....a lot.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Send it to meeeeee!! I'm running out of reasons to not write my philosophy paper lol:cover:
Although I think I at least know what part of the Republic I want to use.
Haha I still get "Emotional Undertow" stuck in my head every now and then....
Well....ok....a lot.

Is that a poem of yours? :confused:

Write it woman :p RF is wonderful for procrastination... speaking of which..... *sigh* :( homework......

Stellify

StarChild
Is that a poem of yours? :confused:

Write it woman :p RF is wonderful for procrastination... speaking of which..... *sigh* :( homework......
I'm going to pretend like you didn't forget what that was!
*coughJaredsproblemsyouhelpedmewithitcough*
It truly is a wonderful way to procrastinate:D I'll get around to writing it eventually...I can't help it that Plato's Republic frustrates me and makes me want to smack Socrates more than write about him :shrug:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'm going to pretend like you didn't forget what that was!
*coughJaredsproblemsyouhelpedmewithitcough*
I blocked all memories of Jared..... I wonder if I have a copy of it......
It truly is a wonderful way to procrastinate:D I'll get around to writing it eventually...I can't help it that Plato's Republic frustrates me and makes me want to smack Socrates more than write about him :shrug:

dont hurt Socrates!!!! He's dead!!!!

Stellify

StarChild
I blocked all memories of Jared..... I wonder if I have a copy of it......
You probably do. Member? Somethin' about his girlfriend that died and the emotional walls he put up...emotional undertow!
My friend Cat cried when she read it. I figured that was a good thing.

dont hurt Socrates!!!! He's dead!!!!
*mumbles something about 1984 and makes a face*

Zephyr

Moved on
A couple of my favorites, in two categories:
Things picked up from my girlfriend's family:
"GODVERDOMME!"
"PAARDENLUL!"
and lastly,
"Flikker op trut!"

Keep in mind that these last two are pretty vulgar, and even the first one isn't exactly a happy nice thing. If the mods find Dutch curse words to be a not good thing, they can censor it if they please.

Things picked up elsewhere:
"Jesus H. Megaman!" (we have a 9 page rasterbated megaman on our dormroom door and a whiteboard with these words. It gets erased pretty often. That's what I get for living in red Washington.)
"ODIN!"
"STEEEEEEEEVE!" (A good while back my roomy and I saw a car with the name Steve drawn on it in the dirt. The car passed us while we were going 70 and got a bit too close for our comfort.)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
A couple of my favorites, in two categories:
Things picked up from my girlfriend's family:
"GODVERDOMME!"
"PAARDENLUL!"
and lastly,
"Flikker op trut!"

Yeah those, and one or two other Dutch ones (klootzak to name one - very offensive in Dutch, not so much in English) are commonly used by me in the presence of NZers who can't understand it anyway. Never at work around the tourists though, because we get lots of Dutchies. I've also heard "Kippenlul" as opposed to "Paardenlul"

And my Dad normally shortens "Godverdomme" to "Godver"

And in the case where "if it don't fit, swear at it" works, then the word will be "verdommt" (as in, "verdommt computer")

Others include
"oh, hell"
"Sheesh"
"Oh man, I'm smart" (sarcastically when I do something stupid)
"Ach" (another Dutch one)
"Good Lord!" (In mock astonishment)
EDIT: Woops, didn't know that one was censored - my mistake. (It was 3 letters that stood for 3 words - but I'd say the letters by themselves :p)

Similarly, in order to be more politically correct my husband and I don't really say "Bless you" anymore when someone sneezes. We say "may the Deity of your choosing cast felicitations in your general direction"

It's a mouthful, yes, but it's totally worth it just to see that deer in a headlights look on peoples faces. :D
And I absolutely LOVE that one. I am going to strive to use that more often!

Actually, I'm going to make it my MSN sig

Booko said:
Consarn it, I've been hornswoggled!

I'm going to use that one as well. Thanks guys! :p