• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with incest?

The thread title is pretty self-explanatory. But just to expand a little, how do you define incest - how closely-related does someone need to be - and why do you think it is wrong (assuming you do - if you don't, why not?)?

PS

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There were cultures such as I believe ancient Egypt where incest was practiced. But as @Aldrnari noted, it's biologically a bad thing to do.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Like everybody's so far, it's definitely biologically hazardous to the baby who has a high risk of malformity.

It's just not a healthy thing to do.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I apparently have two half-sisters, if still alive, the product of incest by my grandfather abusing my mother. And one of her sisters might have had the same too. Nothing right about that sort of incest since it was just child abuse. :(

Like everybody's so far, it's definitely biologically hazardous to the baby who has a high risk of malformity.

It's just not a healthy thing to do.

Lots of things aren't healthy things to do, but are nevertheless considered acceptable by sometimes large swathes of society. What's different about incest?

I apparently have two half-sisters, if still alive, the product of incest by my grandfather abusing my mother. And one of her sisters might have had the same too. Nothing right about that sort of incest since it was just child abuse. :(

I'm sorry to hear that, and completely agree that there's nothing right about that. But what's wrong here is arguably the child abuse, rather than the incest.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Agreed. So what do you think to incest which does not (cannot) result in the birth of children?
It is still not something that should be allowed when there is a clear relationship disparity. That said, the only way to establish perimeters that prevent both abuse/coercion by relational status and consequential offspring without having too much involvement/invasion of privacy is to set limits such as we have now.

It is still not something that should be allowed when there is a clear relationship disparity. That said, the only way to establish perimeters that prevent both abuse/coercion by relational status and consequential offspring without having too much involvement/invasion of privacy is to set limits such as we have now.

But how is that different from child abuse/coercion generally?

What of relationships where there is no significant relationship disparity?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm sorry to hear that, and completely agree that there's nothing right about that. But what's wrong here is arguably the child abuse, rather than the incest.

True, but I think incest does inherently have an issue. To what degree the closeness of the familial relationship is will determine this. I have no real problems with some as long as, as mentioned, the possibility of problems arising from presumably genetic defects does not arise. Not a qualified geneticist to know this though.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing provided it's consenting (rules out child abuse) not coerced (rules out inequitable family power dynamics) and precautions are taken to prevent inbreeding. The last bit is ethically tricky. Incest has a huge ick factor but we do not criminalize people's relationships where children could be born with disability. For example two people with HIV or inheritable disease or disorder, even more severe medical consequences, aren't stopped from having a relationship. Neither are people punished for drinking, smoking, or not taking prenatal vitamins, all of which can lead to deformity.

Even so, sterilizing surgery is a thing. As are same sex relationships. Both of which neutralizes that particular issue. Though, practically, tracking that legally is difficult.

Some levels of incest generally slide below the radar first cousins in some places, second cousins in others. But direct blood relatives isn't.

Curious George

Veteran Member
But how is that different from child abuse/coercion generally?

What of relationships where there is no significant relationship disparity?
I already explained. While there is nothing necessarily problematic about the limited instance where no offspring can be issued, and no relational disparity exists, we by necessity still object to these unions because it would violate privacy rights to entangle ourselves in order to decide if the case in question was one of the limited instance.

True, but I think incest does inherently have an issue. To what degree the closeness of the familial relationship is will determine this. I have no real problems with some as long as, as mentioned, the possibility of problems arising from presumably genetic defects does not arise. Not a qualified geneticist to know this though.

So two (or more) brothers or sisters say, who are consenting adults and of a similar age, no problem in your books?

I already explained. While there is nothing necessarily problematic about the limited instance where no offspring can be issued, and no relational disparity exists, we by necessity still object to these unions because it would violate privacy rights to entangle ourselves in order to decide if the case in question was one of the limited instance.

But we don't ban other kinds of relationships where there might in principle be abuse happening...