• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with 'I don't know'?

Skwim

Veteran Member
What's wrong with 'I don't know'?
Nothing, but if it's not in answer to a question specifically put to you why bother with an answer? Other than that, people on discussion forums simply like to talk or at least put out opinions and possibilities. Unfortunately, too often these opinions and possibilities are expressed as facts, which then leads to a whole lot of "I'm right. You're wrong" exchanges.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't rarely enter this type of foray. Maybe I'm bored. Regarding the topic of the day, I've read a lot of news, a lot of posts, and rarely have I come across politicians or experts just saying, 'we don't know'. It seems to me we have to wait this coronavirus out, just like we have to wait a lot of things out. 'Wait and see' is wisdom. To put numbers on the unpredictable nature of it seems silly. And to believe the numbers of politicians, to regurgitate it as some verifiable prophecy? Really?

We don't know if there will be a second wave a third wave, or more.
We don't know if and when or how effective a vaccine will be.
We don't know if this virus will mutate to a weaker strain, or to a stronger strain.
We don't know when the next virus will strike.

And then there's the peeing contest. My country is better than your country. Those other countries all lied about their statistics. We will do better because we're smarter. The curve is flattening here, but not there. It can't happen to me.

The only certain thing is that there is great uncertainty. That is for certain.

Sorry for the rant.

It's an illusion of control and security. Panic sets in and we do silly things.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My gawd, man....where do you live...the North Pole?
One year in my youth when we had an outdoor rink on the farm, I recall skating on it on April 15. Some years it warms up slowly, and we just don't get one of those 3 day chinooks to make the white stuff go away. This is one of those years. +7 today though. That would be +44 thereabouts in Revoltistan.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't rarely enter this type of foray. Maybe I'm bored. Regarding the topic of the day, I've read a lot of news, a lot of posts, and rarely have I come across politicians or experts just saying, 'we don't know'. It seems to me we have to wait this coronavirus out, just like we have to wait a lot of things out. 'Wait and see' is wisdom. To put numbers on the unpredictable nature of it seems silly. And to believe the numbers of politicians, to regurgitate it as some verifiable prophecy? Really?

We don't know if this virus will mutate to a weaker strain, or to a stronger strain.

And then there's the peeing contest. My country is better than your country. Those other countries all lied about their statistics. We will do better because we're smarter. The curve is flattening here, but not there. It can't happen to me.

Sorry for the rant.

Inaction and indecision won’t work. Actions based on misinformation won’t work. When it comes to viral infections medical science has much to say. We need to have the humility to hear what the experts are saying and take evidence based strategies to save lives and minimise the impact of this worldwide pandemic IMHO.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Who said anything about inaction?

There’s been many people including national leaders who have minimised coronavirus and advocated there was no need to take any action. One example is the claim coronavirus is no worse than influenza and it will just run its course.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
My ego dislikes admitting to itself a lack of knowledge let alone admitting it to others.
It leaves open the possibility that someone out there might know more than me. :eek:

It is a little hard to get used to the idea that one may not actually be the smartest person in the room.
Not if you've lived it long enough...o_O

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
Vinayaka<<<And then there's the peeing contest.>>>

Tell us about the peeing contest. How do we enter?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Sorry for the rant.
The tribe of neutrality is looking pretty good these days.

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
When you're tempted to say "I don't know", watch out. There are lots of meaningless sequences of words spoken and written that end with a question mark -- sequences that sound or look like real questions but are meaningless. One common example is "Who created the universe?" Another is "Why is there something instead of nothing?" So be sure that you're responding with IDK to a meaningful question -- one that you KNOW there IS an answer to, but you just don't happen to know what that answer is. Otherwise say "Sorry, I don't get any sense out of anything that you could be asking me. Can you explain?"

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I can speak with certainty

you will be infected
your resistance is futile

but hopefully your resistance will kick in
and you will survive

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
"Thief"" I can speak with certainty, you will be infected, your resistance is futile, but hopefully your resistance will kick in and you will survive<<>>

My resistance? What am I resisting? I have no idea of anything you could be talking about, saying I'm resisting something. If I don't know of anything I could be resisting that you claim to be talking about, then how can I be resisting something that I don't know of that I'm resisting? You have to make sense to communicate.