• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the purpose behind believing in something that cannot be proven true?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Why can't it be sure ?
One isn't sure unless belong to surety.
It's a two-sided coin. There is no doubt without surety and vice versa, so to lay the blame on one or the other is a decision.

I choose doubt, for personal reasons.

If, its atheist who doubts. Its NO theist problem.
Each person's problem is their own.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Might ?
Oh come on, please don't use this word "Might" again and again. Please stop making guesses. I already wrote in OP that.. Often, atheists get lost into thinkings finding answer to this question.

Be SURE and say something. :)

I can't speak for everyone, just for myself.

chinu

chinu
It's a two-sided coin. There is no doubt without surety and vice versa, so to lay the blame on one or the other is a decision.

I choose doubt, for personal reasons.
Doubt cannot be chosen. There's always a reason behind a certain choice.

Of course, it is a two sided coin for atheists, But, NOT for theists.

As I already said in OP.. Often, atheists get lost into thinking finding answer to this question.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Is there any scientific theory that has been proven to be absolutely factual and no longer remains only a theory?

Theories in science are never considered "proven". A theory is the highest achievement an idea can get to in science. Really good theories don't become facts. They explain facts.

And theories by definition, are the unproven hypothesis

No. Theories are more like hypothesis that graduated. Hypothesis that have been tested to hell and back and who through that process are supported by massive loads of evidence.

Theories, are confirmed hypothesis.

, suppositions, and opinions of those scientists

Absolutely not.

, who are prone to change their minds, as more data is discovered in this boundless cosmos

Yes. It's called learning and making progress. It's a good thing.
Incidently, this is why by principle / definition, theories never become "facts" nore are they ever considered "proven". Because future evidence might always force us to reconsider certain explanations. How unlikely it might seem in some cases, there's always the possibility which can't be ruled out.

, of which our earth is but a speck, in a little tiny solar system, within a galaxy, which is some 100,000 light years from one side to the other, which Galaxy is but one of billions of Galaxies within our boundless cosmos,
leaving our scientists with a lot, lot, lot, lot, more information to gather before they can say that anything is certain, and like I have said, those scientists are prone to change their mind as more data is discovered, leaving those who believed by faith alone, the original theory of those particular scientists, standing out on a shaky limb.

Your idea on how science works is extremely malinformed.

Which of the many, many scientific theories as to the creation of our particular universe do you believe is absolutely true.

First of all, there aren't "many many" such theories. In fact, there are NO such theories.
Instead, there's a handful of hypothesis which are extremely hard to test.

Inform yourself on the scientific process before continuing the conversation on this topic.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
My answer is: No profit/benefit.
Hence, nobody believe something that cannot be proven to be true.

Actually, this is a very good question that often arise in the mind of an atheists. A very good question because.. Often, atheists get lost into thinkings finding answer to this question.

I really like this question because there's certainly something to be gained by NOT believing in claims until any evidence supports that belief.

BUT, what's the purpose behind believing in something that cannot be proven to be true? People unnecessarily dishonor theists.

it depends what you term as evidence. What I believe in for myself there is overwhelming evidence.

Bird123

Beliefs are important. But I don't know what happened to my car keys on my last day of college, and while I have wondered all these years, I have no beliefs about it.

If you mean that we must sometimes form and act on tentative conclusions when we do not have sufficient evidence, that is true. But we must only do so when action is required. When it is not, we need to not need to form conclusions at all.

A lot of atheists have not formed the conclusion that no gods exist. They just do not accept your claim that they do. They are unconvinced of your claim. Not convince of the contrary.

But even for the subset of atheists who do believe that no gods exist; the difference between their belief and that of the theist, is that their belief that no gods exist is falsifiable. The theist belief is not - hence necessarily irrational.

You don't have to form a belief to search for answers. I don't have to have beliefs about how a firefly glows in order to investigate and find out.

They don't care enough about whether or not the claim is true to withhold belief pending sufficient evidence.

Theists shut down investigation by claiming that they know the truth about X and that truth is not only unquestionable; but any who question it are immature or deviant or deranged or dangerous or evil.

In this we agree.

your quote:Beliefs are important. But I don't know what happened to my car keys on my last day of college, and while I have wondered all these years, I have no beliefs about it.
My Answer: Then you believe the keys can never be found since you have given up the search for them. In reality, they exist somewhere.

your quote:But we must only do so when action is required.
My Answer: Are you placing rules and controls? People have free choice when they want or need to create beliefs. As with God, there are no rules nor any need for rules.

your quote:A lot of atheists have not formed the conclusion that no gods exist. They just do not accept your claim that they do. They are unconvinced of your claim. Not convince of the contrary.
My Answer: Correct me if I am wrong, aren't those who have not concluded God exists Agnostic???

your quote:You don't have to form a belief to search for answers. I don't have to have beliefs about how a firefly glows in order to investigate and find out.
My Answer: I agree. Curiosity along with a need to solve a problem are big drivers of Discovery. On the other hand, why would one stop at believing they know the answers rather than continuing the search to it's conclusion?

your quote:They don't care enough about whether or not the claim is true to withhold belief pending sufficient evidence.
MY Answer: Burden of proof belongs to those who seek. If one does not seek, one would not search for the answers. It has never ever been about accepting. Accepting thinking is the corruption. Whether one accepts God exists or not, it's the same thing. Each chooses what they want to Discover. Each chooses what they want to learn.

your quote:
Theists shut down investigation by claiming that they know the truth about X and that truth is not only unquestionable; but any who question it are immature or deviant or deranged or dangerous or evil.
My Answer: To question is the start on the journey to Discovery. Truth must be questioned. Even long held truth must be questioned if one really searches for truth.

This is part of the interaction atheists teach theists. This is the picture theists need to see. Atheists need to see the possibilities that exist beyond this physical world. This is what theists are pointing to atheists in there own way.

Simply because one does not agree with religion's teaching does not mean that God does not exist or that existence does not span far beyond this physical world. There is always a wider view. As I said. Atheists and theists are helping each other through the interaction. That's why it exists.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Bird123

Important ?

OP does NOT ask to point out any kind of importance. Of course "God" is important, in fact most important :)

But, here OP asks.. what's the purpose behind believing in something that cannot be proven to be true? People unnecessarily dishonor theists.

Why are people assuming God can not be proven? Granted lots of things are hard to prove. If one really cares for the Real Truth, one would never give up the search.

You are right. There is anger and hurt for many around religion. Religion is a catalyst that brings out so many problems to the surface so they can be dealt with. If religion is hurting, why? Pain is no more than what let's one know something is wrong.

What lesson does one need to learn? There are many many lessons around anger and hurt. Only when they are learned will the hurt and anger go away.

Do not value Blame. It is so petty. It doesn't matter what anyone else chooses to do. It's what you choose that counts. Do you choose anger and hate in any form? Find the lesson and find the answers. The world can change before your eyes.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

ppp

Then you believe the keys can never be found since you have given up the search for them.
You assumptions are sloppy. I have gave up the search for them when I no longer owned anything that they would open.:grinning:

My Answer: I agree. Curiosity along with a need to solve a problem are big drivers of Discovery. On the other hand, why would one stop at believing they know the answers rather than continuing the search to it's conclusion?
Sorry. I don't understand your 'On the other hand...' sentence. Am I supposed to be disagreeing with it?

Burden of proof belongs to those who seek.
No. Burden of proof is on the claimant. If it were not, you would be forced to accept every single contradictory claim that you do not have the time to personally investigate as true.
To question is the start on the journey to Discovery. Truth must be questioned.
There is no rational reason to start on the basis that any theistic claim falls under the category of "truth". They are just noise until some one can demonstrate one.

Atheists need to see the possibilities that exist beyond this physical world. This is what theists are pointing to atheists in there own way.
No. As of yet, all theists have pointed at are their personal desires and fears. Nothing extant. This has given us some honestly great stories and literary tropes and archetypes. Not to mention insight into the psyches of individuals and cultures. But nothing beyond the physical world.

Simply because one does not agree with religion's teaching does not mean that God does not exist or that existence does not span far beyond this physical world.
Sorry, but that isn't my line of reasoning, or the reason that I eschew your religious beliefs. My non-agreement doesnt mean bupkis about what actually exists. There could be a god. But it doesn't matter until that can be demonstrated.

Even if there is, in reality, a god, neither you, nor the adherents of any other religion I have encountered, knows jack-all about it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry, but that isn't my line of reasoning, or the reason that I eschew your religious beliefs. My non-agreement doesnt mean bupkis about what actually exists. There could be a god. But it doesn't matter until that can be demonstrated.

Even if there is, in reality, a god, neither you, nor the adherents of any other religion I have encountered, knows jack-all about it.
FYI, Bird123 does not have any religious beliefs. He has his own belief system called Discovery. ;)

Bird123 believes that he can know about God without any Messenger or religion, that we can Discover God by His actions in the world.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How can you tell that it isn't a religious belief?

Sounds like one of the variations on classic Gnosticism.
Me and Bird123 are old buddies, that is how I know. :D
He and I have had it out many a time regarding Messengers and religion, as he just does not believe in either one are at all necessary to know about God. He believes religion was invented my man.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Doubt cannot be chosen. There's always a reason behind a certain choice.

Of course, it is a two sided coin for atheists, But, NOT for theists.

As I already said in OP.. Often, atheists get lost into thinking finding answer to this question.
There's always a reason behind a certain choice: that is why I can choose doubt. I don't choose without reason. Doubt provides more stability and more diversity of information. Certainty narrows the information options to one.

chinu

chinu
There's always a reason behind a certain choice: that is why I can choose doubt. I don't choose without reason. Doubt provides more stability and more diversity of information. Certainty narrows the information options to one.
What if, there's NO doubt at all ? How will one choose doubt without any reason ?

Doubt need to be there in the first place, so that could choose.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What if, there's NO doubt at all ? How will one choose doubt without any reason ?

Doubt need to be there in the first place, so that could choose.
One chooses doubt with reason, the same way one chooses certainty with reason. They are both there, always.

They, are, after all, options.

The world is one bright pearl.

chinu

chinu
One chooses doubt with reason, the same way one chooses certainty with reason. They are both there, always.

They, are, after all, options.

The world is one bright pearl.

There can be a case, where both doubt and certainty exists altogether.
But, when there is only certainty, there's no room for doubt.

Example1: Parents gave birth to child. (Only certainty is the choice)
Example2: Certain parents gave birth to child. (Both doubt and certainty are the choices)

MonkeyFire

My answer is: No profit/benefit.
Hence, nobody believe something that cannot be proven to be true.

Actually, this is a very good question that often arise in the mind of an atheists. A very good question because.. Often, atheists get lost into thinkings finding answer to this question.

I really like this question because there's certainly something to be gained by NOT believing in claims until any evidence supports that belief.

BUT, what's the purpose behind believing in something that cannot be proven to be true? People unnecessarily dishonor theists.

Faith doesnt require science.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There can be a case, where both doubt and certainty exists altogether.
But, when there is only certainty, there's no room for doubt.
That's one way to look at it.

Example1: Parents gave birth to child. (Only certainty is the choice)
Example2: Certain parents gave birth to child. (Both doubt and certainty are the choices)
1. Leaves fall from the tree to land on the ground in Autumn.
2. Sometimes. Sometimes they hang there on the tree gathering snow.