• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's the farthest you've walked in a day?

amorphous_constellation

So yesterday I probably did like 7 miles. I got a few really good views of the sun starting to set on some rolling cornfields way out there, that I hadn't got before. It also helps to finish podcasts, which over the last few years seem to get longer and longer. Today I was looking at the map, and was thinking of actually doing a 10 miler.. I am 36

So if you were in the army or marines or something, your input would be useful here as well. How long did they have you march a day? Because if you can do all that with heavy packs every day, then that makes my walking plans look very easy, and I have nothing but a phone.

And also, it seems like the human body kind of built to walk, isn't it? I thought I heard on npr that this was our biological advantage. There was something about how although other animals could run faster for shorter distances, we could outwalk and outdistance those other animals

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A have walked 24 miles in a day a couple of times. Now though i limit myself to 5 to 10 miles a couple of times a week.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
So yesterday I probably did like 7 miles. I got a few really good views of the sun starting to set on some rolling cornfields way out there, that I hadn't got before. It also helps to finish podcasts, which over the last few years seem to get longer and longer. Today I was looking at the map, and was thinking of actually doing a 10 miler.. I am 36

So if you were in the army or marines or something, your input would be useful here as well. How long did they have you march a day? Because if you can do all that with heavy packs every day, then that makes my walking plans look very easy, and I have nothing but a phone.

And also, it seems like the human body kind of built to walk, isn't it? I thought I heard on npr that this was our biological advantage. There was something about how although other animals could run faster for shorter distances, we could outwalk and outdistance those other animals
I don't know exactly. I know I hiked 19 miles in a day with a approximately 50 lbs pack and I was over 50.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

The farthest i have walked in a day was 35 km or 21.7 miles

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
IDF artillery units don't walk too far. We usually just stick to riding around in the howitzers and other armored vehicles. The farthest we walked was about 17-20 km. On my own I've walked more than that. I think the most I've walked in one day is around 25-30 km, and I've done that a few times over the last few years.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Twenty years ago, I was walking 15 miles around Mission Bay in Dan Diego twice a week with a buddy:

upload_2022-7-10_15-30-55.jpeg

And yes, in basic training in the Army, we marched all day with packs and rifles a few times, but I don't know how far that was. More than the walks around the bay.

And what you are describing is persistence hunting.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Somewhere between 20 and 26.2 - never did a whole marathon worth. But a few of those 20 milers were up and down 13 or 14 thousand foot peaks ;)

exchemist

Veteran Member

21 miles, on the Coast to Coast walk across the Lake District. It was about 5 miles too far, really.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

According to my fitness tracker watch thing, my record is about 25 km in one day. As far as I can tell, that was the day we visited Canada's Wonderland with my nephew, whose chosen order for the rides had absolutely no bearing on how close they were to each other.

Dao Hao Now

I’m not sure how far a person has walked in a day would be a topic on a religious forum (perhaps a fitness forum or hiking forum would be more apropos) but I’ll take a stab at it from what might have a religious twist to it.
In a poll on a forum for the Camino De Santiago of pilgrims who had walked the Camino Frances route the results showed the largest group by far (43.8%) averaged 21-25.9kms / 13-16.1miles per day.
Mind you that is not just a single day, but multiple days back to back; usually about a month for those that completed the entire length.

Attachments

• 12C7A1B0-006A-4C24-BD1B-C7E47761991D.png
    12C7A1B0-006A-4C24-BD1B-C7E47761991D.png
    556.5 KB · Views: 0

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
When on vacation, I regularly walk 13-15 miles a day. I'm not sure what my record is.

Daemon Sophic

As a teenager, I once went hiking 20 miles across wilderness (no roads, no paths) with some friends. We were exhausted.

I go for several 3-4 mile walks per week now (in my 50’s).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Twice, about 35 kms each time, in Himalayas. While walking it was difficult, but did not take much time to recover.

timthumb.php
Madhyamaheshwar
1e602c59-bdd0-49a6-ba8e-0de877e32793_Ali+Bedni_AB_Roopkund_Sadguru+Prajapati_Bedni+Meadows_Mt.trisul_.jpg
Bedini Bugyal

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Never has been my favourite activity, even though much was done in hilly or mountainous terrain (so the views making up for the plodding), and I have probably walked about 30 miles as a maximum (when quite young), with some occasions doing multiple days of walking.

Possibly the most energetic thing in this line I did once with a friend, was to run or jog around half of this below - so about 12 miles - not having the time, or energy, to do the lot - and of course not carrying anything, unlike most other times:

The Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge

The other notable achievement, involving more climbing as much as walking, was completing the Cuillin Ridge on Skye in Scotland, and during a heatwave - again, when a lot younger - and with this being perhaps the best training in the UK for subsequently doing any Alpine mountaineering:

About the Cuillin Ridge Traverse - Skye Guides

Last edited: