• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats the facination with Born Of a Virgin?

crystalonyx

Not so :) I know full well that disagreeing with someone does not make them hostile- but towards some of the earlier posters it seems quite harsh, so if not hostile, then certainly bordering on it.

I really see no great hostility, particularly compared to some other posters on these boards.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Compared to the tone of the posts he was replying to, definitely not.
But not all - and besides, he was the one who started claiming that Jesus did not exist. This thread is not about that.

After all, this is a discussion about the fascination with Jesus being born as a virgin - not about whether or Jesus did not exist - it's unfair to BalanceFX to come in and hijack his thread with something which is not the subject at hand, especially.

crystalonyx

But not all - and besides, he was the one who started claiming that Jesus did not exist. This thread is not about that.

After all, this is a discussion about the fascination with Jesus being born as a virgin - not about whether or Jesus did not exist - it's unfair to BalanceFX to come in and hijack his thread with something which is not the subject at hand, especially.

As far as I can tell, logician merely posted some similiarities between some pre-existent religions and Christianity, it was you Matthew and maybe a couple of others that started geting huffy about the existence of Jesus, and he responded.

DOTE

I'm saying that it's like thinking that you can walk across a bridge that only exists in your imagination or something you are only pretending about. I'm talking more specifically about cult leaders and such rather than people who discover God for themselves.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I think of all authors of the Bible, Luke is the most trustworthy of a source you can find and is probably considered by many to be an exceptional historian.

And I disagree. We have no way of knowing how he verified his sources for information. All we have is his words saying he received the information he had from those who said they were eyewitnesses. Who were these witnesses and how can we be sure they were telling the truth.....better yet...how can we be sure Luke didn't make it all up as well as plagiarizing from earlier source material in order to further Paul's agenda to convert?

logician

I don't really search for this kinda stuff, as I believe Jesus existed. :) The question could very well be, "who copied whom?" - but of course, it's the Christians copying - it has to be if one wants to say Jesus was a myth. :D

So your thesis is there were no parallel traditions at all to Christianity, before Christianity came along, it all just "sprang" out of the minds of the unknown writers
of the gospels?

That's harder to swallow than horse pills.

rojse

RF Addict
A somewhat irrevelent question, but important to me - how would people thousands of years ago have been able to test the claims of a woman being a virgin mother?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
if you were to say that christ did not exist to what truth are you justified. You can't say Christ does not exist because whether or not he lived people believe in their salvation through him. Then if you are saying that he is created by some person's mind then to what end did they conjure this "god". Obviously you can't be redeemed in some imaginary savior you merely thought of. Then if Christ did live but was not divine, how can you say that he was not divine. If you don't believe in him then you obviously can't be saved this being opposite to your belief in him. Frankly he is divine if you have faith and ordinary if you don't believe

You ponder your own salvation. I'm fine without your god.......

Now that I got that off my chest....What "historical" data is available to confirm the existence of the biblical Yeshua? Remember, just because I said biblical does not mean you can use it as a source for historical purposes. I want true independent information of his supposed existence.

rojse

RF Addict
Look for a hymen (before birth, of course).

From the wonderous wiki:

Hymen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

, it is not possible to confirm that a woman or post-pubescent girl is not a virgin by examining the hymen.[4]. In cases of suspected rape or sexual abuse, a detailed examination of the hymen may be carried out; however, the condition of the hymen alone is often inconclusive or open to misinterpretation, especially if the patient has reached puberty

logician

if you were to say that christ did not exist to what truth are you justified. You can't say Christ does not exist because whether or not he lived people believe in their salvation through him. Then if you are saying that he is created by some person's mind then to what end did they conjure this "god". Obviously you can't be redeemed in some imaginary savior you merely thought of. Then if Christ did live but was not divine, how can you say that he was not divine. If you don't believe in him then you obviously can't be saved this being opposite to your belief in him. Frankly he is divine if you have faith and ordinary if you don't believe

Wow, people exist thru the power of positive thinking, that's very comforting.

But quite unlikely.