• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality?

Sonofason

That's an example of something that wasn't designed for a certain purpose being used for that purpose. Charcoal wasn't created with the intention of it being used in art, but it works out pretty well.
I understand that you are acquiring a knack for grasping at straws.

Sonofason

And if God was merciful and graceful, why would he take their arms and force them to go through with the mind-numbing dedication and endless effort and countless failures to use their feet?
If the endeavor warrants it, it appears that God rewards steadfastness, dedication, loyalty and determination. It takes time for such qualities to be self evident.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
OMG. I didn't know this was so much of a struggle for you. My sympathies.
Haha...what struggle, I'm not the one avoiding being frank, I am not a homosexual and nor am I homophobic, nor did I create a thread dealing with homosexuality. Now can you be likewise frank as to your position on homosexuality on a thread you created or do we need to draw our own conclusions as to your stake and agenda concerning this subject?

Mercurio

All that does is explain the law. It doesn't answer why god has a hangup about homosexuals.
The question doesn't make sense to me. Before you ask why God has a hangup about homosexuals, you need to demonstrate He has such a hangup.

It's like asking a man, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" When he protests he never did that, you say, "Please answer the question." It's not a serious question; and this thread does not look like a serious thread to me now, after this question keeps posed without evidence that God has such a hangup. The lack of logic is stunning.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The question doesn't make sense to me. Before you ask why God has a hangup about homosexuals, you need to demonstrate He has such a hangup.
Saying it's an abomination and that homosexuals deserve death is a "hang up."
after this question keeps posed without evidence that God has such a hangup. The lack of logic is stunning.
You even posted Biblical evidence that the Christian god has these hang ups. Perhaps we are using the word differently?
It's like asking a man, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" When he protests he never did that, you say, "Please answer the question." It's not a serious question;
It is a seriously question, because so very often an abuser does not acknowledge or accept their behavior as abusive.

Mercurio

Saying it's an abomination and that homosexuals deserve death is a "hang up."

The Old Testament says many things are abominations as I pointed out. Eating pork or clams for example. So what is the hang-up of people wanting to discuss only one thing on the list? Why pick out homosexual behavior? The way I read the word, it means "disgusting" -- meaning you turn away from it if you see it.

I have also already covered how the death penalty was meted out. Almost no one would have been executed for this since most sex -- of any kind -- is conducted indoors without witnesses.

You even posted Biblical evidence that the Christian god has these hang ups. Perhaps we are using the word differently?

Hang-up implies a psychological problem to me. I don't think it irrational to inform the people of Israel if they wanted to have gay sex, do it in private so you don't get caught or offend the sensibilities of others.

It is a seriously question, because so very often an abuser does not acknowledge or accept their behavior as abusive
Before asking a man if he stopped beating his wife, we should be able to determine he does beat her. Accusing a man falsely of doing it if he doesn't is a different kind of abuse. A fairer way of putting the question would have been, "Does God have a hang-up about homosexuality?"

I say no. I don't think it much matters to Him in most instances. If a soul is close to enlightenment, then such things matter; and again, we should not single out gay sex out of a long list of things to be avoided. If a soul is not close to enlightenment and has other karma to work out, gay sex is not a problem. On the contrary, I would say it's better for some people to be gay while they work out their other karma.

I also pointed out that the Bible has passages which seem to condone homosexual behavior. . . in certain instances. The generalization then that the Bible says God abhors all expressions of homosexuality or all homosexuals doesn't make sense to me.

What I would say is abusive behavior is the type of fire and brimstone sermons preached by some ministers. Then we often find later that they've had gay sex themselves, even while married. Now that is horrible to me. It's abusive to their wives and to their children if they have any; and it's abusive to gay people who don't have the self-loathing these ministers have. I'd say they have hang-ups for sure. The louder they are, the more I suspect they're closet cases who hate themselves. And it also seems to be they're trying to use the Bible to talk themselves out of being gay -- if they can scare themselves by telling themselves God will punish them and so on, maybe they'll "straighten" themselves out. It doesn't work, of course. The more they condemn others, the worse they feel about themselves.

Such people would be better off without wives and children, making their lives hell. Marrying a woman you don't love and can't love so you can fool others into thinking you're straight seems like a real sin to me; and I wouldn't even call it a real marriage.

The Bible has difficult passages, that's for sure; but we have a way of knowing if our interpretation is right.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

All the laws of Moses are meant to express love one way or another. When we see someone using it to express hate, we can be sure they have the wrong take. Those laws must also be understood in the cultural context when it was written.

Look at how some people wanted Jesus to disobey the Law of Moses by stoning a woman for committing adultery. Were there witnesses? No. Moreover how the Law of Moses was applied was according to rulings by the Sanhedrin which had told the Romans at the time they wouldn't execute anyone. The Sanhedrin had that right. It saved countless lives because if they hadn't agreed to that, the war with the Romans would have gone on and on with many Jews dying and eventually the Romans would win anyway. So even if they had had witnesses, it would still have been wrong to go against that ruling of the Sanhedrin.

I'd say less than 1% of the people the US puts to death would be executed under the Law of Moses. Material evidence didn't count. Inferences didn't count. On the other hand, you could be excused for all kinds of reasons, like being too young or too old. Judges were expected to accept any extenuating circumstance as enough to refuse the death penalty. And the witnesses had to see the actual act. There was a coach at Penn State observed rubbing up against a boy's butt in a shower. One person saw that -- so it wouldn't be enough. And he didn't see any penetration -- so he hadn't observed the act needed to convict the coach in a capital case. Was there penetration? Probably -- but there is a reasonable doubt. They could have been rubbing and that's all. And in no way if penetration was proved by two witnesses could the boy be put to death since his age would have excused him. When you see Christian ministers talking crazy, all it proves is they know almost nothing about the Law of Moses and how it was applied.

james bond

Just to be clear, in reference to the three passages I quoted, people use "homosexuality" to cover all acts of same-sex sex, whether its a one time occurrence or a continuing practice. God doesn't differentiate.

Got any idea why he abhors homosexual behavior?

I think your three Biblical quotes are covered by the Bible experts. I agree with them, so my interpretation is that homosexuality ISN'T the crime.

As for your second statement, I do not think you understood my statements. God doesn't abhor homosexual behavior, but abhors sexual promiscuity. People who are promiscuous suffer STDs, divorce, guilt, blackmail, negative publicity and the like. The abhorrence towards same-sex relations has to do with people and what the laws were against it whether in ancient times or today. Jesus was wise enough to leave the law for people to decide.

JeremK

Being all-powerful, God looked into the future and saw his son getting nailed by a bunch of guys. That's why he's uncomfortable with homosexuality. Come on, have a bit of sympathy for the guy. Making the universe is a lot of work.

(Sorry if the joke offends anyone)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm afraid I would have to physically present to show you...who knows one day... :)
People show more about their sexual knowledge and maturity through their choice of words and knowledge of various things than they can ever possibly physically reveal. Knowing what to do for sex is also really no indication of how knowledgeable you are of it.

Sonofason

So, these people who go through so much difficulty, the ones who struggle, the ones who chose to not give up, they don't deserve credit?
What people?
The Hillary campaign is trying every underhanded means under the sun to delegitimize Trump. Do you think they deserve credit. I don't. Unless by credit you mean a free pass to a jail cell.

Some people spend a lot of time and energy to cover up their crimes. Do you think they deserve credit for trying? I don't.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
People show more about their sexual knowledge and maturity through their choice of words and knowledge of various things than they can ever possibly physically reveal. Knowing what to do for sex is also really no indication of how knowledgeable you are of it.
Haha.....and here I thought love was essential. No worries, it wont be long before android lovers are available that can be programmed to use all the choice words and have all the knowledge to be your perfect model of what it takes to meet your requirements....real love not included...just a pretend virtual reality of it...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Haha.....and here I thought love was essential. No worries, it wont be long before android lovers are available that can be programmed to use all the choice words and have all the knowledge to be your perfect model of what it takes to meet your requirements....real love not included...just a pretend virtual reality of it...
The Japanese and Germans already have them. Not that they're perfect, and they look kinda of creepy last I heard a news story about them.
And, I don't think love is essential for sex, but it is love that makes the difference between just sex and being intimate.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The male plug must go into the female outlet.
Otherwise my toaster doesn't work.

male-and-female-symbol-smiley-emoticon.png

Blue and blue colored yarn twisted to make a necklace is just as beautiful as blue and red as a necklace.

Two negatives equal a positive just as two positives equal a positive. However, a negative and a positive equals a negative all the time.

A square won't fit into circle shape when doing a puzzle, but it would fit into the same shape if both are measured correctly.

Meanwhile, on the other end positive and negative charges attract while same charges repel. Then again we tend to flirt and mimic the same gestures and be with people like us than people that are have opposite interests and morals.

Life is a mix and it flows on a continuum. Sexuality isn't a black and white affair. Attraction is on a continuum. A lot of people over here tend to date and marry individuals of their own ethnic group while others of different ethnic groups. Skin tone in many places here dictate who people talk with.

There are a lot of positives in "like people" attracts as well as "opposite" attracts. Sexuality and what we do behind the covers are no exception if we play safe and protected.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Birds tend to fly in unison. If there was a bird that didn't fly in unison-the same as other bird patters-there would be a discord. So, for some animals, in specific environments, likes attract. While in other cases like procreation, opposite attracts. Then you have Spider Plant Chlorophytum that are asexual, so they self-reproduce.

Humans procreate male and female. Outside procreation, intimacy between two human beings are natural as we, like a mother to her child, are naturally pulled to people like ourselves. So in the Bible, sexual sin has to do with an action that goes against what our bodies naturally do. So if a male sleeps with a male as if he would a woman, that's a sin. It has nothing to do with him being homosexual-LGBQS and so forth. It specifically has to do with actions and intent.

The hang-up over homosexuality, @Skwim , has to do with wrong definitions. If people get the definitions correct, then they'd see what is a sin and what isn't with no regards to someone's sexual orientation in relation to the sinful action.​