• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You're the one going on about anal kissing. You made the leap there not me. I was referring to anal sex.
Fair enough, I will rephrase it....

It's hard to believe this conversation is even taking place....someone who truly thinks anal sex is a hygienic and acceptable moral form of human activity is beyond my comprehension...but nevertheless, I accept your life's preferences and have no intention to deter you from your destiny.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's hard to believe this conversation is even taking place....someone who truly thinks anal kissing is a hygienic and acceptable moral form of human activity is beyond my comprehension...but nevertheless, I accept your life's preferences and have no intention to deter you from your destiny.
I don't really don't see anything immoral or moral about it (the same for any consensual sexual activity, really). Rather amoral if you ask me, entirely and utterly free of moral judgements.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It's hard to believe this conversation is even taking place....someone who truly thinks anal sex is a hygienic and acceptable moral form of human activity is beyond my comprehension...
Not everyone shares and or agrees with your morality.

but nevertheless, I accept your life's preferences and have no intention to deter you from your destiny.
Empty threats do not help your "argument".

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Not everyone shares and or agrees with your morality.

Empty threats do not help your "argument".
It is not my morality, the OP was in the context of biblical morality.

What threats, you are projecting, realizing one's preferred goal in life is what life is all about imho...I wish you all the best in realizing your destiny... ;)

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It is not my morality, the OP was in the context of biblical morality.
Then why do you speak of it as though it is yours?
given all the different moralities that have spawned from the Bible, referring to a morality as "Biblical" is almost useless.

What threats, you are projecting, realizing one's preferred goal in life is what life is all about imho...I wish you all the best in realizing your destiny
I admit I may have jumped the gun here with assumptions on my part.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Then why do you speak of it as though it is yours?
given all the different moralities that have spawned from the Bible, referring to a morality as "Biblical" is almost useless.
The thread's title.."What's God's Big Hangup With homosexuality", arises in the mind of the OP due to the Biblical passages quoted, namely...

Leviticus 18:22 (ERV)
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

Leviticus 20:13
(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Romans 1:24, 26-27 (ERV)
24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.

That is the context of the morality I speak of.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Fair enough, I will rephrase it....

It's hard to believe this conversation is even taking place....someone who truly thinks anal sex is a hygienic and acceptable moral form of human activity is beyond my comprehension...but nevertheless, I accept your life's preferences and have no intention to deter you from your destiny.
Eh sex is just sex. Biology doesn't care about morality humans seem to have huge hangups about sex though. And again with the leaps, anal is not my preference. I was just saying that rallying against it using bacteria as an argument isn't very strong.
And Vaginal sex ain't exactly clean either mate.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Eh sex is just sex. Biology doesn't care about morality humans seem to have huge hangups about sex though. And again with the leaps, anal is not my preference. I was just saying that rallying against it using bacteria as an argument isn't very strong.
And Vaginal sex ain't exactly clean either mate.
We differ in our understanding, or misunderstanding as the case may be, but I accept your understanding or misunderstanding as the case may be, and have no intention to deter you from your destiny.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
We differ in our understanding, or misunderstanding as the case may be, but I accept your understanding or misunderstanding as the case may be, and have no intention to deter you from your destiny.
If you're saying all is cool between us then I agree.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I actually don't do it, not into it or interested, but there is just no way I could possibly care less if anyone is doing it.
I could care less also, I do not know what reasons you have for not being interested, but I am not interested for the reasons I have given.

Prestor John

While God may tolerate homosexuals (He never really comes out and condemns such people), according to the Bible it's clear He detests homosexual acts, both male and female. He even wants men who engage in homosexuality to be put to death. Three passages in particular address His distaste. (If there are other direct scriptural references feel free to share.)

Leviticus 18:22 (ERV)
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

Leviticus 20:13
(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Romans 1:24, 26-27 (ERV)
24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.​

Currently, it's estimated that from 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the population identify as LGBT.* With the current world population now hitting close to 7.5 billion, and considering God's attitude in Leviticus 20:13, this means there are between 112 - 635 million people (homosexuals) He feels are better off dead.

Pretty drastic of a loving god if you ask me. So the question arises: Just what the heck does God find so abhorrent about homosexual activity? He certainly doesn't leave any clue. Perhaps He may doth protest too much?

Anyone care to take a stab?

*The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual. In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender. The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.
Source: Wikipedia

I think it is important to mention that the Law of Moses was the lesser law. The Lord saw fit to give Israel this law because of their stubbornness and refusal to repent.

It is also important to mention that this law was given only to the House of Israel and that even though many principles are universal and also apply to the Higher Law, taught mainly by the Lord Jesus Christ, many of the practices were temporary and intended to be only for those who had entered into the Abrahamic Covenant.

The Lord condemns homosexuality because it frustrates His plans for His children.

Temporally speaking, He wants His children to pair off, man and woman, and enter into a marriage covenant, live righteously and in complete fidelity, and then to procreate - increasing their joy with their posterity.

Only marriages between men and women have the potential to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise and continue into eternity.

This eternal coupling is one of the main practices that God gave to his children to eventually perfect them and train them to become more like Himself.

That is the overarching theme of God's plan for His children. To help them develop and become more like Him, so they can receive a fullness of joy.

These things glorify God and add to His own happiness and posterity.

Prestor John

Because its influence can be felt through every facet of culture in the West, and in the United States in particular it threatens to deprive people of rights. If this were not the case, I don't think anyone would care.
This very same thing could be said about the practice of homosexuality.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Temporally speaking, He wants His children to pair off, man and woman, and enter into a marriage covenant, live righteously and in complete fidelity, and then to procreate - increasing their joy with their posterity.
God can make children out of dirt, so reproduction is hardly necessary, right?

Prestor John

God can make children out of dirt, so reproduction is hardly necessary, right?
God is Our Father and He wants us to become like Him.

One of the main aspects of Our Father is that He creates, nourishes, teaches and loves His Children.

This brings Him a fullness of joy.

He wants us to pattern our lives after His example so that we too can obtain a fullness of joy.

He wants us to find our eternal mate and then - create, nourish, teach and love our children.

God has given the responsibility to His Children to reproduce after their kind and bring more of His Children into the world.

As we follow His example we will learn and appreciate more about life, ourselves and Him.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This very same thing could be said about the practice of homosexuality.
This is not true.
Religion is everywhere and always has been. It was probably the main justification for the persecution of the Mormons in Missouri in 1833.
It's only been very recently that homosexuals could be at all open about themselves without being persecuted just as much as the Mormons 150 years ago. And it wouldn't be a big deal if people like the Mormons didn't feel entitled to persecute them, based on their religious beliefs.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think it is important to mention that the Law of Moses was the lesser law. The Lord saw fit to give Israel this law because of their stubbornness and refusal to repent.

It is also important to mention that this law was given only to the House of Israel and that even though many principles are universal and also apply to the Higher Law, taught mainly by the Lord Jesus Christ, many of the practices were temporary and intended to be only for those who had entered into the Abrahamic Covenant.

The Lord condemns homosexuality because it frustrates His plans for His children.

Only marriages between men and women have the potential to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise and continue into eternity.
I'd say this is pretty shortsighted of god. He should be aware of how few people are homosexual and how little impact their lack of reproduction has on population growth. And to put homosexuals to death because they wont reproduce doesn't sound very loving or even understanding at all. at all. And as far as making sure that marriages are there so as to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise and continue into eternity, just make marriage between homosexuals okey dokey.

This eternal coupling is one of the main practices that God gave to his children to eventually perfect them and train them to become more like Himself.

That is the overarching theme of God's plan for His children. To help them develop and become more like Him, so they can receive a fullness of joy.

These things glorify God and add to His own happiness and posterity.
But how does sharing ones attraction with someone of the same sex interfere with this?