• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's God's Big Hangup With Homosexuality?

Skwim

Veteran Member
While God may tolerate homosexuals (He never really comes out and condemns such people), according to the Bible it's clear He detests homosexual acts, both male and female. He even wants men who engage in homosexuality to be put to death. Three passages in particular address His distaste. (If there are other direct scriptural references feel free to share.)

Leviticus 18:22 (ERV)
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

Leviticus 20:13
(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Romans 1:24, 26-27 (ERV)
24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.​

Currently, it's estimated that from 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the population identify as LGBT.* With the current world population now hitting close to 7.5 billion, and considering God's attitude in Leviticus 20:13, this means there are between 112 - 635 million people (homosexuals) He feels are better off dead.

Pretty drastic of a loving god if you ask me. So the question arises: Just what the heck does God find so abhorrent about homosexual activity? He certainly doesn't leave any clue. Perhaps He may doth protest too much?

Anyone care to take a stab?

*The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual. In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender. The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.
Source: Wikipedia

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What's Skwim's big hang up with sacred scripture he doesn't believe in, knows he can't change, but keeps making threads on?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The God of the Bible is for everlasting life. There are two kinds imo. One is Earth life and one is spiritual life. The will of God was for the arrival of The Christ who would be king of the spiritual life and lord of Earth's everlasting life (or until the Earth is no more). The savior would be born of a woman of the nation which came out of Abraham. For a man of the offspring of Abraham to lie with other men would result in a curse on the purpose of God to cause a son to be born in Israel. That is my opinion.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The God of the Bible is for everlasting life. There are two kinds imo. One is Earth life and one is spiritual life. The will of God was for the arrival of The Christ who would be king of the spiritual life and lord of Earth's everlasting life (or until the Earth is no more). The savior would be born of a woman of the nation which came out of Abraham. For a man of the offspring of Abraham to lie with other men would result in a curse on the purpose of God to cause a son to be born in Israel. That is my opinion.
What has this to do with homosexuality?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
@savagewind. I didn't mean my above comment to come across as snarky. I read it and saw it may have come across that way. I just like to get straight to the point lol.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A man in Israel who has sex with men is demonstrating that it won't be HIS sperm which might cause God's will be done. And if he was bi-sexual it would not be fair to the lady who he might make pregnant on the side. The Lord had to come through love and not through lust imo.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I CAN COME OUT OF THE CLOSET!
I AM BI-SEXUAL.
I HAVE SEX 2 TIMES A YEAR!:facepalm::facepalm:

(that was an awful pun wasn't it?)

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I don't know what God's "big hang up" with homosexuality is.
Perhaps because two critters of the same sex can't procreate?
I do know what my hang up with homosexuality is.
I'm a guy and I like females. Always have.
Always got me into lots and lots of trouble too!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
While God may tolerate homosexuals (He never really comes out and condemns such people), according to the Bible it's clear He detests homosexual acts, both male and female. He even wants men who engage in homosexuality to be put to death. Three passages in particular address His distaste. (If there are other direct scriptural references feel free to share.)

Leviticus 18:22 (ERV)
22 “Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!

Leviticus 20:13
(ERV)
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Romans 1:24, 26-27 (ERV)
24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.​

Currently, it's estimated that from 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the population identify as LGBT.* With the current world population now hitting close to 7.5 billion, and considering God's attitude in Leviticus 20:13, this means there are between 112 - 635 million people (homosexuals) He feels are better off dead.

Pretty drastic of a loving god if you ask me. So the question arises: Just what the heck does God find so abhorrent about homosexual activity? He certainly doesn't leave any clue. Perhaps He may doth protest too much?

Anyone care to take a stab?

*The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual. In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender. The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2 to 6.8 percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.

I think first you need to believe a god exists to make a valid argument against "his" behalf not people.

Second, you have to believe the scripture posted is factually and/or spiritually correct. If not, that is like posting false statistics to prove an argument.

Third, you have to understand the politics and context behind what you posted. Are you more concerned about how people use the bible/god to belittle homosexuality, or do you really believe there is a god that would be against it?

Third-b, if you do not believe in a god that's against it, who is your argument really based on? How do you know god well enough to say he is wrong?

Fourth, do you know god outside the bible? I know my parents outside their photo album and even if they did a memoir, they would probably show me more in person than they would on page. So, does god really distaste homosexuality? How do you know this?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
What's Skwim's big hang up with sacred scripture he doesn't believe in, knows he can't change, but keeps making threads on?
Because its influence can be felt through every facet of culture in the West, and in the United States in particular it threatens to deprive people of rights. If this were not the case, I don't think anyone would care.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

One should consider how misleading these "statistics" are. It's not like every single American was actually included in any of these surveys, which makes these "statistics" objectively incorrect, especially any that might attempt to cover the "entire adult population", of like, the world. Additionally, not every human being perceives our sexuality as some magical "orientation" that need be categorized into "homosexual", "heterosexual", etc.

Also, I think it's rather ridiculous that "gender identity" was included in those statistics. Yet another reason why "lgbt" is in my opinion a worthless and redundant term.

:eek::eek::eek:

:rolleyes:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think first you need to believe a god exists to make a valid argument against "his" behalf not people.

Second, you have to believe the scripture posted is factually and/or spiritually correct. If not, that is like posting false statistics to prove an argument.

Third, you have to understand the politics and context behind what you posted. Are you more concerned about how people use the bible/god to belittle homosexuality, or do you really believe there is a god that would be against it?

Third-b, if you do not believe in a god that's against it, who is your argument really based on? How do you know god well enough to say he is wrong?

Fourth, do you know god outside the bible?
Nah. All I'm interested in is what Christians think is their God's reason for hating homosexuality. He leaves no clue whatsoever.

So, does god really distaste homosexuality?
According to the Bible, yes.

How do you know this?
Through common sense. Sane beings don't go around saying,

"You must not do X. That is a terrible sin"
"If a man does X with another man they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death."
without considering X to be detestable.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because its influence can be felt through every facet of culture in the West, and in the United States in particular it threatens to deprive people of rights. If this were not the case, I don't think anyone would care.
Exactly!

images.jpg
CujLsQQXYAAfO4J.jpg
pray-your-gay-away-360x303.jpg
Anti_gay_San_Francisco.jpg
RFDChristian-anti-gay-sfSpan.jpg

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nah. All I'm interested in is what Christians think is their God's reason for hating homosexuality. He leaves no clue whatsoever.
Thousands of years ago it was so obvious that nobody even questioned the premise. Most guys think homosex is gross(at least other guys), and procreation really was crucial. Most people lived in little communities that were nearly always on the verge of obliteration. One bad harvest, or an invading tribe, or epidemic and the community was doomed. More babies was always better.

But things aren't like that now. Too many babies is the big threat to survival in the modern world. But even if there were a God who had changed His mind, He could never get a word in edgewise. Everybody is too busy rereading and preaching the stuff ancient warlords thought God meant.
Tom