• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The problem with doing them on a grill is because vegans can be very very picky. To be actually vegan one almost has to be as much of a nit picker as those that follow the Jewish kosher laws. They would need their own dedicated grill because otherwise they might get "contaminated" with some beef. That is why so many restaurants when they offer vegetarian fare often have such insipid food. It cannot be cooked on their regular grills and griddles. To do it "right" they would need their own dedicated cooktops.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with doing them on a grill is because vegans can be very very picky. To be actually vegan one almost has to be as much of a nit picker as those that follow the Jewish kosher laws. They would need their own dedicated grill because otherwise they might get "contaminated" with some beef. That is why so many restaurants when they offer vegetarian fare often have such insipid food. It cannot be cooked on their regular grills and griddles. To do it "right" they would need their own dedicated cooktops.
I'm only doing it for a Lenten fast. I'm allowing fish and eggs.

Even with the fish and eggs, I've had to become extremely finickity about food. I won't be going back to this until another Lent.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm only doing it for a Lenten fast. I'm allowing fish and eggs.

Even with the fish and eggs, I've had to become extremely finickity about food. I won't be going back to this until another Lent.
I should probably eat more fish. One thing nice about Lent is that I do see fish prices drop. Right now I can get Sockeye Salmon, wild caught the only way, for only 8 bucks a pound. That is almost Cod prices. When it comes to cod I do a fish and chips, but not 'deep fried. I have a fair amount of oil in the pan but still need to flip them . I have had better results than deep fried. I tend to make a bit too much and then have cold left over cod for breakfast.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I should probably eat more fish. One thing nice about Lent is that I do see fish prices drop. Right now I can get Sockeye Salmon, wild caught the only way, for only 8 bucks a pound. That is almost Cod prices. When it comes to cod I do a fish and chips, but not 'deep fried. I have a fair amount of oil in the pan but still need to flip them . I have had better results than deep fried. I tend to make a bit too much and then have cold left over cod for breakfast.
The deep frying is the best bit!!! As are the scraps. Yum.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I just went to the local butcher and he gave me some pork ribs that someone had ordered for Thursday and never picked up. He's closed the next 2 days so they were going to thrown out. I've cooked ribs before in an oven but wasn't thrilled with the results so I'm going to try on the bbq. From what I've read on the internet I need to do them for about 3 hours at 130c (266f) with a rub on them then another hour after putting sauce on. Does this sound right? Seems kinda excessive to me, I'm a little worried it will just be dried out bone with some pork jerky on it.

The other problem is there's a ton of them! and I'm on my own at the moment because the Mrs is OS visiting her family. Do ribs reheat as leftovers ok? Or would I be better off doing another batch tomorrow?

Might be something @Subduction Zone can help with.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I just went to the local butcher and he gave me some pork ribs that someone had ordered for Thursday and never picked up. He's closed the next 2 days so they were going to thrown out. I've cooked ribs before in an oven but wasn't thrilled with the results so I'm going to try on the bbq. From what I've read on the internet I need to do them for about 3 hours at 130c (266f) with a rub on them then another hour after putting sauce on. Does this sound right? Seems kinda excessive to me, I'm a little worried it will just be dried out bone with some pork jerky on it.

The other problem is there's a ton of them! and I'm on my own at the moment because the Mrs is OS visiting her family. Do ribs reheat as leftovers ok? Or would I be better off doing another batch tomorrow?

Euk.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Looks good. There are a few different kind of "ribs" sold here. Some of them aren't even ribs. I have seen pork shoulder cut up in roughly over sized rib shapes. Not all of them have bones when one does that.

Yes, a rub of spices that you like. You can also wrap the ribs, aluminium foil works well, but if you want to go native banana leaf works well too and can impart some more flavor. The last hour is when you open them up and put some sauce on them. Maybe baste a few times. Do not drown them. Some just wait and keep the sauce on the side, just about a half an hour with no wrap around them at the most if you eschew the barbeque sauce.

Oh, and a note from the first whole pig roast that I went to. Make sure that you have enough charcoal. Long ago when I was still in college a friend had a pig roast. He had two whole pigs, so we are talking a big party. I do not know how many kegs of beer. He only had one roaster so that was started extremely early. By the time the first pig was done everyone was hungry and it disappeared rather quickly. For the second he ran into a problem. He was running low on charcoal so he used a bit of gasoline to help the process. Mind you, the beer did not run out. I am allergic to beer and know that I have to quit at only two. So by the time the second was done I was as sober as a judge. What little beer I had was long gone from my system. Everyone was ranting and raving that it was better than the first. Since I was the only sober one there I can inform you that it was not.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Looks good. There are a few different kind of "ribs" sold here. Some of them aren't even ribs. I have seen pork shoulder cut up in roughly over sized rib shapes. Not all of them have bones when one does that.

Yes, a rub of spices that you like. You can also wrap the ribs, aluminium foil works well, but if you want to go native banana leaf works well too and can impart some more flavor. The last hour is when you open them up and put some sauce on them. Maybe baste a few times. Do not drown them. Some just wait and keep the sauce on the side, just about a half an hour with no wrap around them at the most if you eschew the barbeque sauce.

Oh, and a note from the first whole pig roast that I went to. Make sure that you have enough charcoal. Long ago when I was still in college a friend had a pig roast. He had two whole pigs, so we are talking a big party. I do not know how many kegs of beer. He only had one roaster so that was started extremely early. By the time the first pig was done everyone was hungry and it disappeared rather quickly. For the second he ran into a problem. He was running low on charcoal so he used a bit of gasoline to help the process. Mind you, the beer did not run out. I am allergic to beer and know that I have to quit at only two. So by the time the second was done I was as sober as a judge. What little beer I had was long gone from my system. Everyone was ranting and raving that it was better than the first. Since I was the only sober one there I can inform you that it was not.

I only have one problem so far, supposed to spray them every 30 minutes with apple cider vinegar but I don't have a spray bottle so I'm dribbling some on with a measuring cup.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I only have one problem so far, supposed to spray them every 30 minutes with apple cider vinegar but I don't have a spray bottle so I'm dribbling some on with a measuring cup.
I usually oven cook mine and that is also why I wrap them well. No need to spray. If they are not wrapped for that long you will have to baste a bit.

Also when it comes to the "silver skin". I like to leave that on. When it is cooked for hours it is very tender and adds its own flavor. If you have ever had Vietnamese Pho' you will often see that you can order tendons as your meat. Others do not like it. To get it off you can grab it using a paper towel.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I usually oven cook mine and that is also why I wrap them well. No need to spray. If they are not wrapped for that long you will have to baste a bit.

Also when it comes to the "silver skin". I like to leave that on. When it is cooked for hours it is very tender and adds its own flavor. If you have ever had Vietnamese Pho' you will often see that you can order tendons as your meat. Others do not like it. To get it off you can grab it using a paper towel.

They came out ok, they're resting for a bit but not much longer. Already 90 minutes past dinner time and I've been smelling the damn things all afternoon.

ribs.jpg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

They tasted good but I think they needed longer, they could have been more tender. I should have started them earlier but I was waiting advice from my good mate @Subduction Zone and he was a no show. I have another lot for tomorrow so I'll start at 1 instead of 2.30. I left the membrane on, I meant to take it off but had already put the rub on when I remembered. I couldn't tell it was there.

Never had pho but my daughter always raves about it. Just looked up some recipes, seems easy enough to make and there's some crock pot versions. I'll try it once the weather cools down if it ever does.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They tasted good but I think they needed longer, they could have been more tender. I should have started them earlier but I was waiting advice from my good mate @Subduction Zone and he was a no show. I have another lot for tomorrow so I'll start at 1 instead of 2.30. I left the membrane on, I meant to take it off but had already put the rub on when I remembered. I couldn't tell it was there.

Never had pho but my daughter always raves about it. Just looked up some recipes, seems easy enough to make and there's some crock pot versions. I'll try it once the weather cools down if it ever does.
We have a lot of Vietnamese here, so we have a lot of pho restaurants. It is pronounced fa (more or less, the language is related to Chinese so there are some diphthong sound that I am sure that I get wrong. I made it once, but if I want the real thing it is less than half a mile away for me. There are quite a few meat choices. If you do a party you can have various choices ready. Most of the meat is "raw". One puts all of the noodles and every thing else in the bowl with the raw meat one chose that right on top. Then very very hot broth is poured right over the meat and into the bowl. It cooks almost instantly. Oh, I almost forgot, that meat is sliced very very thin. To prep that get a very very sharp knife and put the meat into the freezer for about half an hour. You want it stiff but not frozen. It is far easier to cut that way then just a piece of meat at regular refrigerator temperatures. The recipe that I used called for putting various spices into a cheesecloth bag and I did not do that. So mine ended up a bit more flavored from the spices, hard to get them all out when needed. Not hot, but the cinnamon and cloves were a little too strong.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They came out ok, they're resting for a bit but not much longer. Already 90 minutes past dinner time and I've been smelling the damn things all afternoon.

View attachment 89989
The look pretty tasty. And since the cooking was low and slow resting is not as important as it is with a steak. One other thing you need with ribs. Lots of napkins, serviettes if your prefer . Sooner or later you just want to pick up a bone and gnaw all of the meat off. And you do not want nice cloth ones. Paper is preferred, I would hate to try to get a cloth one back to pristine white.