• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the few things that are still good at McDonalds. Of course if they still cooked them in beef tallow the number of vegans in the US would probably drop in half. They were that good.
Assuming you're talking about the fries, they still do contain "Natural Beef Flavor" in the US.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [wheat And Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (maintain Color), Salt. *natural Beef Flavor Contains Hydrolyzed Wheat And Hydrolyzed Milk As Starting Ingredients.​

Contains: Wheat, Milk.​

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Assuming you're talking about the fries, they still do contain "Natural Beef Flavor" in the US.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [wheat And Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (maintain Color), Salt. *natural Beef Flavor Contains Hydrolyzed Wheat And Hydrolyzed Milk As Starting Ingredients.​

I was surprised to see potatoes in that list

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Correct. Do you?
I don't know. It has been far too long since I have had crab. And Dungeness crab is rather cheap right now, for crab that is. at least last week it was only about $8.00 a pound. That is for a whole crab. The prices get ridiculous if you pay someone to pick the meat out. That will be well over $20.00 a pound in fact I doubt if I could find it for less than $30.00 a pound.

Okay, I do know. I do not have any sort of calcium deficiency so I will spend more time picking the meat out of the shell than eating it.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I still can't eat KFC because I had it when I had coronavirus and can't get over that memory.

Just did not taste right at all...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Yep, they went healthy but managed to keep most of the flavor boost that they got from frying in a mixture of oil and beef tallow. Those fries were addictive in those days. I did not eat many then, but there were a few that ate their far too often.. Here is an article from a totally unbiased source (trust me, no no! don't check the website) that tells of when and why they switched:

"McDonald's french fries are a household name. The taste, the crisp, and the consistency are a staple of the brand. Founded in 1940 by the McDonald brothers, McDonald's used to use Beef Tallow in their beef frier.

Beef Tallow is rendered fat from the suet of the cow. It used to be a staple cooking fat and for good reason. It has a high smoke point, a delicious beefy flavor, and is loaded with nutrients. McDonalds used to use a frying blend of 93% beef tallow and 7% canola oil."

One thing that they may be right on, beef fats may not be as unhealthy as were told. I was shocked a couple of years ago while reading on article on cooking that recommended on cooked in "avocado oil, canola oil, lard, or some other heart healthy oil". Lard!?!!? Seriously? Heart healthy? But I guess that it is.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't know. It has been far too long since I have had crab. And Dungeness crab is rather cheap right now, for crab that is. at least last week it was only about $8.00 a pound. That is for a whole crab. The prices get ridiculous if you pay someone to pick the meat out. That will be well over $20,00 a pound in fact I doubt if I could find it for less than $30.00 a pound.

Okay, I do know. I do not have any sort of calcium deficiency so I will spend more time picking the meat out of the shell than eating it.

I cheat, i buy it by the tin, pre shelled in nice peace's. Goes great in a Thai fish curry.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I cheat, i buy it by the tin, pre shelled in nice peace's. Goes great in a Thai fish curry.
I tried canned crab for a seafood gumbo once. Never again. The problem with reasonably priced fresh or frozen crab Is that it tastes so much better than canned. But then in the gumbo it was on top as an extra treat. And you can just tell. It is usually cooked immediately on the boat and then frozen. Though sometimes one can get fresh live Dungeness crab. Yes, it seems to be a bit cruel to put a crab into a pot of boiling water. But one bite and all is forgiven. Crab meat when raw goes bad very quickly. It has almost no shelf life which is why it is usually sold cooked and frozen. It can be eaten out of the shell or "cooked" with a minimal warm up. Do not actually cook it again.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I tried canned crab for a seafood gumbo once. Never again. The problem with reasonably priced fresh or frozen crab Is that it tastes so much better than canned. But then in the gumbo it was on top as an extra treat. And you can just tell. It is usually cooked immediately on the boat and then frozen. Though sometimes one can get fresh live Dungeness crab. Yes, it seems to be a bit cruel to put a crab into a pot of boiling water. But one bite and all is forgiven. Crab meat when raw goes bad very quickly. It has almost no shelf life which is why it is usually sold cooked and frozen. It can be eaten out of the shell or "cooked" with a minimal warm up. Do not actually cook it again.

There are different grades ranging in price from cheep(ish) and yucky to expensive and as good as fresh crab without the hassle.

When making a fish curry I'll add the crab last and bring it up to temperature before serving.

In a salad I'll plate it up straight from the tin.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
They don't sell a vegan burger here. Burger King is the only QSR that has a vegan meat option, at least in my part of the country. GetGo is the only convenience store chain that has one.

McDonald's fries aren't even vegan here.
Locally, ours all claim the ovens they cook them on are broke?

I believed the first place that said it. The second place... nah. They've stopped carrying them, and don't want to be direct about it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I believed the first place that said it. The second place... nah. They've stopped carrying them, and don't want to be direct about it.

(Hungry Jacks is the local name of Burger King, due to a trademark issue)

Couple of Burger Options, plus their chips are vegan.

No vegan options at Maccas. They did have a limited time McPlant burger, which was vegetarian. Not vegan though.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

The Burger King locally? They're cooked on the broiler or by special request in the microwave. They don't have a special oven for them, so they giving you a line of crap. I know. I was key in the rollout when I ran restaurants there.

I'd go to BK United States Survey and BK Canada Survey and leave a comment so the restaurant is flagged by BK Corp.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The Burger King locally? They're cooked on the broiler or by special request in the microwave. They don't have a special oven for them, so they giving you a line of crap. I know. I was key in the rollout when I ran restaurants there.
They did offer to microwave one, but said they didnt recommend it(its true, you cant microwave Impossible brand stuff and have it turn into anything but yuck).
I'd go to BK United States Survey and BK Canada Survey and leave a comment so the restaurant is flagged by BK Corp.
Im surprised its open at all. Theres only one staff member on second shift. Over the last couple years, we lost over half of our BKs.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
They did offer to microwave one, but said they didnt recommend it(its true, you cant microwave Impossible brand stuff and have it turn into anything but yuck).
I tried a microwaved one when we rolled them out. It was nothing short of nasty.