• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for Breakfast?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
For breakfast, I usually make paneer (actually queso fresco) egg bhurji, at least a recipe that I threw together for it, but this morning I wanted to try something different, and since I tried packaged pongal in the past, I threw together my own version (I have no dried lentils in my room, so the recipe is without them, so this is more of a rice porridge) and it was delicious:

Salix's Rice Porridge
  • 1-3/4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup uncooked Basmati rice
  • 1 tbsp oil or ghee (my ghee is expired, so I used canola)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • pinch of Old Bay seasoning
  • pinch of ground turmeric
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • cashews or peanuts to taste
Place water, oil, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Wash rice and add to saucepan. Stir occasionally so rice doesn't catch bottom of pan. Once the mixture thickens (about 25 minutes), add black pepper, Old Bay, and turmeric. Continue to cook/stir for an additional 20-25 minutes until the mixture thickens into a thicker porridge. Add butter and continue to stir until melted. Transfer to serving bowl/plate and garnish with cashews or peanuts.

ETA photo:

View attachment 85648
Potato pancakes with applesauce.

Very easy.

One or two potatos peeled

Three onions peeled

Two eggs

Pepper and salt

Flour to right consistency for frying

Mush all into food processor into batter.

Spoon into pan of heated olive oil.

Top pancakes with applesauce.

Enjoy.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Never hungry when I get up in the morning, so I don't really do breakfast. Have a cuppa tea (usually black) and a piece of fruit if I have any sitting around.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, that would be disgusting!

But Nutella is still awesome

It's definitely pretty good. It's ubiquitous here, you know when supermarkets have maybe a shelf for 6 or 8 products
Well, here they have 6 or 8 shelves of Nutella. I've never seen so much shelf space given to a single product.
shelves+of+Nutella.jpeg

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It's definitely pretty good. It's ubiquitous here, you know when supermarkets have maybe a shelf for 6 or 8 products
Well, here they have 6 or 8 shelves of Nutella. I've never seen so much shelf space given to a single product.
View attachment 85673
I cannot believe my eyes! :p

That is Nutella galore

I cannot believe that has not been photoshopped

What type of supermarket is that!?!?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The sports reporter's breakfast while travelling with a team... 2 coffee, 2 smokes, and a look around. (as told by my favorite and funny local sports reporter)

libre

Skylark
My shift ended at 'breakfast' time.
I had 2 ounces of Sambuca with coffee beans, and a slice of pizza pizza.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I cannot believe my eyes! :p

That is Nutella galore

I cannot believe that has not been photoshopped

What type of supermarket is that!?!?

Any supermarket. I got the image from google but it looks like it could be a Leader Price.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Potato pancakes with applesauce.

Very easy.

One or two potatos peeled

Three onions peeled

Two eggs

Pepper and salt

Flour to right consistency for frying

Mush all into food processor into batter.

Spoon into pan of heated olive oil.

Top pancakes with applesauce.

Enjoy.
I love potato pancakes, especially topped with sour cream.

Unfortunately, I have nothing so fancy as a food processor.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For breakfast, I usually make paneer (actually queso fresco) egg bhurji, at least a recipe that I threw together for it, but this morning I wanted to try something different, and since I tried packaged pongal in the past, I threw together my own version (I have no dried lentils in my room, so the recipe is without them, so this is more of a rice porridge) and it was delicious:

Salix's Rice Porridge
  • 1-3/4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup uncooked Basmati rice
  • 1 tbsp oil or ghee (my ghee is expired, so I used canola)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • pinch of Old Bay seasoning
  • pinch of ground turmeric
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • cashews or peanuts to taste
Place water, oil, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Wash rice and add to saucepan. Stir occasionally so rice doesn't catch bottom of pan. Once the mixture thickens (about 25 minutes), add black pepper, Old Bay, and turmeric. Continue to cook/stir for an additional 20-25 minutes until the mixture thickens into a thicker porridge. Add butter and continue to stir until melted. Transfer to serving bowl/plate and garnish with cashews or peanuts.

ETA photo:

View attachment 85648
This has evolved to my practically everyday breakfast.
  • 2-3/4 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp oil (sesame or peanut is preferred, but I use canola because it's more affordable)
  • 1/4 cup uncooked basmati rice
  • 1/4 cup moong dal
  • 1/2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
  • Course ground black pepper to taste (I use 40 twists on the grinder)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup cashews
Bring water, salt, and oil to a boil. Add rice and dal, and simmer over low-medium heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ginger/garlic paste and pepper. Lower heat and simmer to desired consistency (another 15 minutes), and add butter. After butter melts, add cashews and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.

Makes two servings (one of which I store in the fridge and store up to 4 days).