• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for Breakfast?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For breakfast, I usually make paneer (actually queso fresco) egg bhurji, at least a recipe that I threw together for it, but this morning I wanted to try something different, and since I tried packaged pongal in the past, I threw together my own version (I have no dried lentils in my room, so the recipe is without them, so this is more of a rice porridge) and it was delicious:

Salix's Rice Porridge
  • 1-3/4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup uncooked Basmati rice
  • 1 tbsp oil or ghee (my ghee is expired, so I used canola)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • pinch of Old Bay seasoning
  • pinch of ground turmeric
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • cashews or peanuts to taste
Place water, oil, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Wash rice and add to saucepan. Stir occasionally so rice doesn't catch bottom of pan. Once the mixture thickens (about 25 minutes), add black pepper, Old Bay, and turmeric. Continue to cook/stir for an additional 20-25 minutes until the mixture thickens into a thicker porridge. Add butter and continue to stir until melted. Transfer to serving bowl/plate and garnish with cashews or peanuts.

ETA photo:

1702558884497.png

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, if anyone is interested in the paneer egg bhurji I mentioned above...

Salix's Paneer Egg Bhurji
  • 4 tbsp oil
  • 1/3 cup frozen pepper onion mix
  • 1.25 oz paneer cheese cut into small cubes (I use 1/8 wheel a 10oz wheel of queso fresco)
  • 1 tbsp Deep red chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 tsp garam masa
  • 2 eggs
Heat oil over medium heat in a kadhai or wok. Sauté pepper and onion mix for about 3 minutes. Add cheese and cook until crumbles. Add red chili powder, salt, Old Bay, and garam masala. Sauté mixture for about 1-1/2 minutes. Add eggs and stir until the entire mixture is scrambled and cook until firm.

RestlessSoul

Currently eyeing up some Cadbury's Reindeer Cakes that have been distributed round the office. Basically chocolate coated sponge with a white chocolate reindeer on them

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm not sure I can handle beginning the day with a post on rice porridge signed

"No good comes from destroying the spiritual path of another."​

Perhaps I'll just stick with toasted pumpernickel bagel and peanut butter.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

What's for Breakfast?​

This time of year it's usually hot porridge oats (oatmeal) or Weetabix (with milk) warmed in the microwave and coffee.

But today ... Thursday is shopping for provisions day so we had a very unhealthy breakfast in a wonderful patisserie we know in town.

Pain aux raisin (or snail bread) doesn't sound appetising but it really is, plus croissant almond and the most wonderful coffee noisette.

So the pain aux raisin is similar to a danish but to me more yummy. Sweet viennoiserie pastry, coiled with raisins and custard poured in the coils.

And the croissant almond... Yesterday's unsold croissants, filled with an almond purée, a sprinkling of almond flakes then re-baked. Much better than throwing good food away and oh so tasty.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Breakfast for two:

3 slices of bacon chopped into squares
1/2 diced fresh tomatoes
1/4 diced onions
1 pressed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs.

Cook bacon until almost done then sauté onions with it. When onions are tender, add garlic and tomatoes until juice is consumed. Scramble the eggs, salt and pepper and cook until desired consistency.

We usually eat it with arepas and feta cheese.

Breakfast.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oatmeal (not yet, after sadhana)
1/3 cup oats, 1 teaspoon ground flax, 1/2 apple, 1 banana, large pinch of cardamom, 1 teaspoon coconut, 20-30 frozen saskatoons, 1 tablespoon yoghurt

It varies some days, but that's the usual.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Breakfast for two:

1/2 diced fresh tomatoes
1/4 diced onions
1 pressed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs.

Cook bacon until almost done then sauté onions with it. When onions are tender, add garlic and tomatoes until juice is consumed. Scramble the eggs, salt and pepper and cook until desired consistency.

Breakfast.
I may try it sans bacon.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
For breakfast, I usually make paneer (actually queso fresco) egg bhurji, at least a recipe that I threw together for it, but this morning I wanted to try something different, and since I tried packaged pongal in the past, I threw together my own version (I have no dried lentils in my room, so the recipe is without them, so this is more of a rice porridge) and it was delicious:

Salix's Rice Porridge
  • 1-3/4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup uncooked Basmati rice
  • 1 tbsp oil or ghee (my ghee is expired, so I used canola)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • pinch of Old Bay seasoning
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • cashews or peanuts to taste
Place water, oil, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Wash rice and add to saucepan. Stir occasionally so rice doesn't catch bottom of pan. Once the mixture thickens (about 25 minutes), add black pepper, Old Bay, and turmeric. Continue to cook/stir for an additional 20-25 minutes until the mixture thickens into a thicker porridge. Add butter and continue to stir until melted. Transfer to serving bowl/plate and garnish with cashews or peanuts.

ETA photo:

View attachment 85648

My standard winter/cold weather breakfast is oatmeal, made thus:

1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup rolled oats
1 scoop protein powder of choice
1/2 (or so) cup milk of choice
1 tablespoon peanut butter (the good stuff, not Skippy or Jif or sugar-filled versions)

Combine frozen blueberries, oats, and milk in a bowl and nuke for 2 minutes or until the blueberries are defrosted. Add protein powder, stir until the powder is well mixed. Nuke for 2 more minutes. Drizzle peanut butter on top. Enjoy!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
2 maple sausage patties or 3 links
3 eggs
3 pieces of buttered toast

Sometimes I don't have the toast. I usually drink some sort of juice.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Breakfast for two:

1/2 diced fresh tomatoes
1/4 diced onions
1 pressed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs.

Breakfast.
That sounds amazing I may try that at some point