• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats a good approach to teaching kids about impermanence of self?

Ozzie

Anybody have ideas/experience in this regard? Should it wait until they are functionally mature and brains are fully developed, or is this something kids can be exposed to and discover naturally, or otherwise be educated about? Any suggestions?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
For me, the metamorphisis of the caterpillar into the butterfly is by far the best and most engaging example for children to grasp of self-impermanence. The candle analogy is also a good example for both adults and children to understand impermanence/rebirth.

Peace,
Mystic

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
This might be something best left to self-discovery, though I'm really not sure.

Perhaps it might be best to expose them to non-mainstream views of the self early on. But the question is, how is a person's sense of self created? Is it societal influence or a natural extension of perspective?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
If it is understood that each is born as a result of his own karma then it is also understood that in reality the children is also another soul on its journey and no one knows who is senior
So in a way a family is also a sangha and so the behave with children will be similar to what one does in a sangha; one can be just pointers. No absolutes.
Maybe
Love & rgds

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
If you're open about such things and have humility its likely a child will interpret what they want or need to take from it in their own way. What MysticSang'ha said sounds just great to me. Some reassurances might be necessary and be alert if you find yourself trying to force a child to interpret as you think they should interpret. Impermanence of self as an idea and realising impermanence of self as part of ones being are different. Trying to force the latter would be like trying to help a tree grow by attempting to lift it out of the ground. But Ozzie :) I'm sure you would respond to real needs and curiosity as they arise just fine.

earl

This might be something best left to self-discovery, though I'm really not sure.

Perhaps it might be best to expose them to non-mainstream views of the self early on. But the question is, how is a person's sense of self created? Is it societal influence or a natural extension of perspective?
While cross-cultural studies suggest that the specifics of sense of self may vary across cultures, it appears that the old adage "you have to be somebody before you can be nobody" generally holds true, (in last few years there have been several good books published examining the intersection of psychoanalytic & Buddhist thought). So it seems developmentally "natural" for a sense of self to emerge to one degree or another. Of course, even if it was "right, proper, and possible," we would not want to make a campaign out of attempting to impress upon children a "dharmic way of life" or we could inadvertantly simply create a "Buddhist self" in the process.;) (Given my signature line, guess I should add that not only do I embrace much of Buddhism, but have practiced much of it as well. So am quite supportive of what you may be trying to impart.) have a good one, earl

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
As Mystic said, there are analogies that children can relate to. They can also readily understand that they themselves have changed and grown, becoming "different" in that sense as they do so. This is the simplest form of impermanence, of course, but it is useful with children, and it can become the basis on which a future understanding of the concept rests.

PureX

Veteran Member
Anybody have ideas/experience in this regard? Should it wait until they are functionally mature and brains are fully developed, or is this something kids can be exposed to and discover naturally, or otherwise be educated about? Any suggestions?
I think it'd be like teaching them about sexuality - something we teach them about in stages, as they become more able to understand it.