• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What you think of Christian pop music

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Some people just dislike all the fun things in life, it seems.

Anyway, in my younger years, I actually listened quite extensively to rock bands that I only later found out were Christian.

While I don't mind religious themes in my music - in fact, I often find spirituality and allusions to mythology and sacred texts to make it stronger and more emotionally authentic for me - I sadly find most of the pop music that's being marketed as explicitly "Christian" in nature to feel uninspired and artistically uninteresting to me.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What you think of Christian pop music

Not a lot although there are a few ditties i can listen to

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Christian pop? I don't know about that, but I enjoy Christian music of various genres - rock, punk, metalcore, metal, etc. Killswitch Engage is probably my favorite Christian band. The most mainstream Christian artist I enjoy is Jeremy Camp, I suppose.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Pop music is dubious at the best of times, there are exceptions of course.
Christian Pop Music is a subset of some of the worst of pop music.

Music should be rough, dirty, noisy and provocative.
Whoever said "The devil has the best tunes" was definitely correct.

PureX

Veteran Member
"Christian" art of any kind nearly always ends up being more propaganda than art. And that's because it's very difficult for something to be both of these at once.

I had a friend back in art school that used to say this about making art with/for a 'cause': "if you want to save the whales, go save the whales. If you want to paint paintings, go paint the paintings, but don't try to save the whales by painting paintings. The whales will keep dying and the paintings will just suck."

I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm not saying that it's impossible to make great art that promotes a 'cause', but it's very difficult, and therefor very rare.

Viker

Häxan
Christian pop, not so much.

Classical Christian, including gospel, yes.

I don't care for 99% of pop anyways. Too much homogenization not enough deep genuine inspiration and catharsis I crave. That's not favorable anymore if you're trying to sell to millions of people.