• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would You Do?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What would I do? What ever I will want. If I have an opportunity and it's a better option, I will go for it. I would not completely burn any bridge behind me if it came from a fine place. I would inform both current and future employer as appropriate and I would move to the next step.

Are the 50 employees who will lose their jobs a factor in your decision? Why or why not?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
For clarification: I'm quite interested to know people's thought processes behind their answers to the OP, so I'm asking from that angle. I'm not trying to challenge or change anyone's perspective.

Viker

Häxan
Are the 50 employees who will lose their jobs a factor in your decision? Why or why not?
I wouldn't know for sure. They could lose their jobs. But would they actually? I would see to it that a replacement for myself is in the wings. Also, making sure the new employer is aware of the potential situation.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't know for sure. They could lose their jobs. But would they actually? I would see to it that a replacement for myself is in the wings. Also, making sure the new employer is aware of the potential situation.

What if you knew for sure?

Viker

Häxan
What if you knew for sure?
Then, I would really have to weigh this decision. Is acting on self-interest going to jeopardize others or are others going to hold me back from self-improvement. It's not an easy choice. It's not one I could take lightly. I don't like throwing decent folk under a bus, either. If I knew for sure. I may possibly would stay. Can't and won't say that would be for sure.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
But the question remains, would staying make any difference? Will that be 51 people out of a job when the first company collapses?

Or is there any real chance that staying will make the difference in the result for first company, that it will survive this test?

Heyo

Veteran Member
The concern is big business...major corporations...like the company that offered the position...don't tend to see or consider such options. If I'm not available at the time they need me, they tend to move on to the next candidate.
Yep, that's business. They don't care about morals, only the bottom line. Or is your current job different? Would they help you out if you had a problem?

Brian2

Veteran Member
I've all but made my choice already, but I'm interested in hearing how others would handle this situation from a moral/ethical perspective.

I run a logistics company and had recently made a decision that it was time to move on from that position and apply for my dream job (some of you might know what this is, because I mentioned it recently in another thread). I applied a few days ago, was offered the position yesterday, and I accepted it.

So here I am a day later waiting for my background check to clear and to be scheduled for orientation, and I planned on giving notice as soon as this happened. This afternoon, the owner tells me that the partner we serve issued a breach of contract for reliability...caused, of course, by them (long story I can answer later if anyone is interested)...and he has been given 90 days to cure the breach or they will terminate the contract.

So here I am presented with this news, a day or two away from submitting my resignation letter, knowing full well that if I step away and move on to my dream job, the company won't cure the breach and thereby won't survive, not only putting the owner out of business, but displacing 50 or so employees as well.

So there is a clear choice. Stay with the company at least until they cure the breach, or move on with the dream job and let the chips fall where they may with the logistics company.

As I said above, I've all but made the choice, but I want to hear what you would do given the same situation.

It sounds like an easy decision from the outside looking in but it would be hard for you to give up what you want for the sake of others.
Treating others as you would want them to treat you is a good policy from my pov of course.
I wish you well in your decision making.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I've all but made my choice already, but I'm interested in hearing how others would handle this situation from a moral/ethical perspective.

I run a logistics company and had recently made a decision that it was time to move on from that position and apply for my dream job (some of you might know what this is, because I mentioned it recently in another thread). I applied a few days ago, was offered the position yesterday, and I accepted it.

So here I am a day later waiting for my background check to clear and to be scheduled for orientation, and I planned on giving notice as soon as this happened. This afternoon, the owner tells me that the partner we serve issued a breach of contract for reliability...caused, of course, by them (long story I can answer later if anyone is interested)...and he has been given 90 days to cure the breach or they will terminate the contract.

So here I am presented with this news, a day or two away from submitting my resignation letter, knowing full well that if I step away and move on to my dream job, the company won't cure the breach and thereby won't survive, not only putting the owner out of business, but displacing 50 or so employees as well.

So there is a clear choice. Stay with the company at least until they cure the breach, or move on with the dream job and let the chips fall where they may with the logistics company.

As I said above, I've all but made the choice, but I want to hear what you would do given the same situation.
I'd question how you know the company would survive if you stay.

You might just be going down with a sinking ship you are not the captain of by staying.

In my opinion

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I’d tell current and new employer about the predicament and hear their ideas.

If doing that backfired in some way, I’d know who I’m dealing with. And I’d not want to work with people who don’t communicate openly.

If communication was fruitful, I’d ask to sleep on what had been said.

If all parties were considerate of each other and a little flexible and I was able to assist my current employer without feeling that I was doing so at my own expense and growing resentful towards them, I would.

Humbly,
Hermit

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

If you plan to stay, you should aggressively negotiate a pay raise with your current company.
If the set-up of the current company is such that it is going go bust from a lawsuit if one employee leaves, it better pay that employee reasonable incentives to stay. It also appears that the current company does not have a mandatory notice period with you which is the standard practice in many fields.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think I'd talk to everyone involved and see if there were any possible solutions that I was not aware of.

Second, I'd make sure the dream job wasn't just a dream, as best I could.

Third, I'd wonder that I was really that indispensable. And if I were, it seem to me that company is on very weak footing, anyway.

It all points to moving on, but with as much care and caution as is reasonable.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I reject the hypothetical "if". An employee leaving is not causal for the company collapse. The onus for the company failure ultimately lies with the management and/or owners. Management actions are the cause.

Not sure if you saw this...
I run a logistics company...

I am management.

And it was the partner issuing the breach that precipitated the damage to the company that lead to the breach.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
But the question remains, would staying make any difference? Will that be 51 people out of a job when the first company collapses?

Or is there any real chance that staying will make the difference in the result for first company, that it will survive this test?

If I stayed, I'm confident the company would survive and we would cure the breach.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If I stayed, I'm confident the company would survive and we would cure the breach.
I'm pretty risk adverse, and am one of the few people under 40 who have bee with one job for a decade. And my most recent transition I worked both jobs part time for a year to see where the chips fell.

But my job is a choose your hours (contractually) kind of job which is probably not something you can do.

So if you're pretty confident it'll work out, go for it. Just maybe have an exit strategy ready to go.

RestlessSoul

I’m confident you’ll do the right thing.

Only you will know what that is, and if you don’t know - roll a dice.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Either you're not understanding the exercise or I'm not understanding what you're saying.

I never said I can't move to my new job. What evidence is required? What evidence would I need to furnish to either party? What isn't mutually exclusive?
No, you didn't say you "can't" move -- you said you had to choose to move or not. You imply that you can only "cure the breach" by staying, but I don't see that as a barrier at all. If you can cure the breach, it can only be because you have information that nobody else does. So providing your current employer with said information, and making yourself available to answer future questions, should allow you to move to your dream job with a clear conscience.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

That would be the owners responsibility and his staff including interim positions.

I feel if you gave proper notice thats all you need to do. Maybe ask your new employer for extension to tie loose ends on the situation, honesty helps, but when it comes down to it you need to prioritize your own needs rather than someone else's.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No, you didn't say you "can't" move -- you said you had to choose to move or not. You imply that you can only "cure the breach" by staying, but I don't see that as a barrier at all. If you can cure the breach, it can only be because you have information that nobody else does. So providing your current employer with said information, and making yourself available to answer future questions, should allow you to move to your dream job with a clear conscience.

Or I'm the only one that has the skillset or the knowledge (as a result of being the only one paying attention).

But I appreciate the assumptions.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Update: I attended orientation for the new job on Sunday and gave them a start date that would allow ample time to cure the BoC the company was facing.

The owner came in today, offered me an apology for not recognizing I was at the point throwing in the towel, admitted fault and humbled himself to telling me he learned from the experience. He has offered time off and a restructuring that would improve quality of life.

He offered kind words about his appreciation for my abilities and commitment, talked about how since I took over operations, the company had its best year and finished #1 in reliability, stopping just short of saying that he doesn't see how the company would run without me. and I realize he does not have adequate time to find someone to take my position. He asked me to stay, and I told him I'd consider it.

I probably will end up staying, less because I think I'll see a measurable improvement in the promised quality of life, but more because of how it will help others.