• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would be evidence that God exists?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
ok, what was their evidence to make such claims?
I guess you mean what gave Him the authority to make such claims about God?

According to my beliefs, God appointed Baha’u’llah as a Representative to speak for Him.

“The Person of the Manifestation hath ever been the representative and mouthpiece of God. He, in truth, is the Day Spring of God’s most excellent Titles, and the Dawning-Place of His exalted Attributes.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 70
the point i was making was that each "messenger" talks to only a subset of humanity. So are you a polytheist (which wouldn't bother me)?
That might have been true in the past, but it is not true anymore, as Baha’u’llah spoke to all of humanity and he cleared up all the misconceptions of past religions. Moreover, I do not believe it matters what God did in the past because the past is gone. All that matters is the present and the future.
If invoke the rules of logic, then you have to live by them. You cannot eat your cake and have it too.
I do live by the rules of logic.
I never made such claims. In this thread, I'm mostly asking for evidence.
Evidence of what?
Ok, can you give me a few even remotely objective examples of the evidence he presented?
The evidence I was referring to is the evidence for the existence of God, which is the Messenger God sends as evidence of His existence. As I said in my OP, there is evidence that indicates that a Messenger got communication for God, but there is no proof. Presenting the evidence for Baha’u’llah being a Messenger of God would require a new thread.

ppp

Anything is a possibility. That is the nature of belief
Belief has nothing to do with whether a thing is a possibility. Possibility is independent of belief. Possibility is a function of reality.
When you claim to know it is a work of fiction you are engaging in an argument from ignorance.
Catch-22 is a work of fiction. It was written by Joseph Heller in the 60's. I have read is several times and enjoyed it. I think you are confused.

You do not know that there is not a Catch-22 so that is another argument from ignorance.
I didn't say that there is not. I said that your circular argument does not support your claim that there is.
No, there is no reason for you to believe that because you do not know anything about Him.
Nor do I believe that you know or are capable of knowing anything about a god. Nor do I believe that the person who you claim are messengers of god know or are capable of knowing anything about a god. And for very good reason.

ppp

PLEASE NOTE: The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true.
You do not understand what the term "valid" means with regards to logical arguments. 'Valid' in logic only speaks to structure. Logically valid are merely constructed correctly.

This is a valid argument:
All men are mortal.
Socrates is a man.
Therefore Socrates is mortal.
This is a valid argument:
All men are plaid.
Socrates is a man.
Therefore Socrates is plaid​

Both are valid, but only the first is sound.
A sound argument is an argument that is both valid in structure, and all of whose premises are established to be true.

Arguments that suffer from a fallacy, including circularity, are not sound.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The evidence I was referring to is the evidence for the existence of God, which is the Messenger God sends as evidence of His existence.

This is circular reasoning. It appears that your whole argument hinges on this claim, and this claim is ill formed and - as it stands - not worth debating.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Catch-22 is a work of fiction. It was written by Joseph Heller in the 60's. I have read is several times and enjoyed it. I think you are confused.
No, I am not confused.

catch-22
noun
noun: catch-22; plural noun: catch-22s; noun: catch twenty-two; plural noun: catch twenty-twos
  1. a dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.
    "a catch-22 situation"
Origin
1970s: title of a novel by Joseph Heller (1961), in which the main character feigns madness in order to avoid dangerous combat missions, but his desire to avoid them is taken to prove his sanity.
Translate catch 22 to
Translations, word origin, and more definitions
Definitions from Oxford Languages
I didn't say that there is not. I said that your circular argument does not support your claim that there is.
I do not claim that there is a Catch-22. Baha'u'llah implied it and I believed it.
Circular has nothing to do with this. Something is either true or false.

Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with.[1] The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. Circular reasoning - Wikipedia

Atheists only show how ignorant they are when they play the worn out circular card,as if circular proves anything.

Are all circular arguments invalid?

No. The circularity does not reduce the validity of these arguments in any way. That is, there is nothing inherently wrong with circular argument, although this does not mean that all circular arguments are valid and/or sound. It should be more clear now that this line of reasoning is perfectly valid.Aug 18, 2017
Circular arguments are perfectly valid - THE SKEPTICAL SCIENTIST Why is circular reasoning bad?

Circular arguments are perfectly valid

18th August 2017 by Tim van der Zee

You have likely heard the claim that circular arguments are wrong or incoherent. In this short post I will outline why this is not the case. Circular arguments are perfectly fine; in fact, they can be quite convincing!

Lets start with perhaps the most famous bad example of a circular argument:

God exists because the bible says so, and the bible is true because God exists.

It is clear that this is circular, as each statement depends on the other to be true. It’s also a bad argument from a logical standpoint, as logical arguments tend to be formulated in “if A than B”, and this formulation is missing here. This emphasizes the other weak aspect of this argumentation: both claims have a rather low prior probability.

Lets see what happens when we rephrase the above argument to the following:

If the the bible is true God exists, and, if God exists the bible is true.

While both claims still have the same very low probability, it is now a more coherent – albeit circular – line of reasoning. Is there anything wrong with these arguments because they are circular? No. The circularity does not reduce the validity of these arguments in any way. That is, there is nothing inherently wrong with circular argument, although this does not mean that all circular arguments are valid and/or sound.

Lets examine this a little further by stripping this argumentation type to its most abstract form:

If A then B. If B then A

It should be more clear now that this line of reasoning is perfectly valid. Each individual statement is perfectly valid, and the combination of the two are also valid. In fact, if B stands for something with a non-zero prior probability than the inclusion of the second argument increases the probability that A is true. This is why these types of circular arguments are not only completely valid, they can be convincing as well – if used properly.

So here is my perfectly valid circular argument:

If what Baha'u'llah wrote is true, God exists, and, if God exists what Baha'u'llah wrote is true.

Nor do I believe that you know or are capable of knowing anything about a god. Nor do I believe that the person who you claim are messengers of god know or are capable of knowing anything about a god. And for very good reason.
Of course you do not believe that I know or am capable of knowing anything about a God, but that does not mean I do not know anything about God.

Of course you do not believe that the people who I believe are Messengers of God know or are capable of knowing anything about a God, but that does not mean they do not know anything about God.

Pray tell, what is your good reason.... I can't wait to refute your argument. ;)

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

I went to 12 years of Christian school.

But that's not even my point. I cannot escape religious people and their claims, they're all over the place in southern Indiana. I know about religious claims, far better than you know about science.
Tom
I will let you in on a little secret. There is a lot more to religion than what the religious schools and churches tell you. I attended church regularly for many years and then started reading and studying things other than what was said in church. God opened my mind and I left the church and found the truth. And I can't avoid scientific people who are all over the place saying there is no God. We each have to find our own way and I wish you the best. Just open your mind .

ppp

I do not claim that there is a Catch-22.
Since the Messenger is the evidence that God exists it cannot be determined whether God exists without the Messenger, the proverbial Catch-22.
Piffle.

Atheists only show how ignorant they are when they play the worn out circular card,as if circular proves anything.
If proves that the argument you presented was unsound, and cannot logically lead to the conclusion that you or anyone else asserts that it does. That is enough.
Of course you do not believe that I know or am capable of knowing anything about a God, but that does not mean I do not know anything about God.
In the same way that my not believing my favorite bartender when he says that there is a civilization of lizard men living in the crust of the Earth does not mean that there is not. Your beliefs have the same rational grounding (no pun) as his. Which is to say - none.

A circular argument is unsound, and cannot logically lead to the conclusion that you or anyone else asserts that it does. That is enough.

ppp

I will let you in on a little secret. There is a lot more to religion than what the religious schools and churches tell you. I attended church regularly for many years and then started reading and studying things other than what was said in church. God opened my mind and I left the church and found the truth. And I can't avoid scientific people who are all over the place saying there is no God. We each have to find our own way and I wish you the best. Just open your mind .
I'll let you in on something that is very well know. Many of the atheists that you will encounter were once believers. Then they started reading and studying things other than what was said in church, and discovered that their god beliefs were unjustified.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If proves that the argument you presented was unsound, and cannot logically lead to the conclusion that you or anyone else asserts that it does. That is enough.
No, that is not enough because it does not prove a damn thing.
it does not prove my argument is unsound or that my conclusions are false.
Why not just admit you are wrong when you are caught with your pants down?
A circular argument is unsound, and cannot logically lead to the conclusion that you or anyone else asserts that it does. That is enough.
Are you going to claim that you know MORE than the person who posted this website?
What are your credentials?
Here it is again.

Are all circular arguments invalid?

No. The circularity does not reduce the validity of these arguments in any way. That is, there is nothing inherently wrong with circular argument, although this does not mean that all circular arguments are valid and/or sound. It should be more clear now that this line of reasoning is perfectly valid.Aug 18, 2017
Circular arguments are perfectly valid - THE SKEPTICAL SCIENTIST Why is circular reasoning bad?

18th August 2017 by Tim van der Zee

You have likely heard the claim that circular arguments are wrong or incoherent. In this short post I will outline why this is not the case. Circular arguments are perfectly fine; in fact, they can be quite convincing!

Lets start with perhaps the most famous bad example of a circular argument:

God exists because the bible says so, and the bible is true because God exists.

It is clear that this is circular, as each statement depends on the other to be true. It’s also a bad argument from a logical standpoint, as logical arguments tend to be formulated in “if A than B”, and this formulation is missing here. This emphasizes the other weak aspect of this argumentation: both claims have a rather low prior probability.

Lets see what happens when we rephrase the above argument to the following:

If the the bible is true God exists, and, if God exists the bible is true.

While both claims still have the same very low probability, it is now a more coherent – albeit circular – line of reasoning. Is there anything wrong with these arguments because they are circular? No. The circularity does not reduce the validity of these arguments in any way. That is, there is nothing inherently wrong with circular argument, although this does not mean that all circular arguments are valid and/or sound.

Lets examine this a little further by stripping this argumentation type to its most abstract form:

If A then B. If B then A

It should be more clear now that this line of reasoning is perfectly valid. Each individual statement is perfectly valid, and the combination of the two are also valid. In fact, if B stands for something with a non-zero prior probability than the inclusion of the second argument increases the probability that A is true. This is why these types of circular arguments are not only completely valid, they can be convincing as well – if used properly.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Funny thing, it sounds like an existent being to me.
That just goes to show we all interpret what we read differently.
Forgive me if I mention it didn't seem ambiguous to me.
We humans cannot know how God knows what God knows because God is a mystery, far above human understanding.
Then you don't know God's omniscient. It's just a flattering guess, no?
You do not know that anymore than I can say I know that God is real. I can only know that in my mind, but I cannot prove it.

Same to atheists! :)
But while I'm an unbeliever, I'm not technically an atheist, rather an igtheist (aka ignostic) because I find the notion of a real God incoherent, as here. Indeed, it will take more ingenuity than mine to think of a reason why the idea of a god who is by definition unknowable should not be called incoherent.

But if folk who practice decency and respect and inclusion towards the world find it helps, who should worry?

ppp

No, that is not enough because it does not prove a damn thing.
A circular argument is an unsound argument. Get over it.
or that my conclusions are false.
I never claimed that a circular argument demonstrates that your conclusions are false. Here is what I said:
If proves that the argument you presented was unsound, and cannot logically lead to the conclusion that you or anyone else asserts that it does.
What I said is a circular argument logically unsound and cannot demonstrate that your conclusions are true.

Are you going to claim that you know MORE than the person who posted this website?
Yes. But that's irrelevant. I did not say that circular arguments are invalid. I said that they are unsound. Come back when you understand the differences between validity and soundness.

Here you go, again.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Forgive me if I mention it didn't seem ambiguous to me.
That's fine.
Then you don't know God's omniscient. It's just a flattering guess, no?
No, it is just my belief.
But while I'm an unbeliever, I'm not technically an atheist, rather an igtheist (aka ignostic) because I find the notion of a real God incoherent, as here. Indeed, it will take more ingenuity than mine to think of a reason why the idea of a god who is by definition unknowable should not be called incoherent.
We all view things differently, even those who are in the same religion. I recently had that experience on this forum but the important thing is that we parted friends, not who is right or wrong.
But if folk who practice decency and respect and inclusion towards the world find it helps, who should worry?
That's the way I see it too. It is all about decency and having respect for each other.

“Likewise, when you meet those whose opinions differ from your own, do not turn away your face from them. All are seeking truth, and there are many roads leading thereto. Truth has many aspects, but it remains always and forever one.

Do not allow difference of opinion, or diversity of thought to separate you from your fellow-men, or to be the cause of dispute, hatred and strife in your hearts.

Rather, search diligently for the truth and make all men your friends.”

BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I did not say that circular arguments are invalid. I said that they are unsound. Come back when you understand the differences between validity and soundness.
In general, circular arguments are valid, and if their premises are true, then they're sound. However, circular arguments are fallacious and therefore, bad arguments. Validity and soundness are properties of deductive arguments.Jan 30, 2018

Validity, Soundness, and Cogency | Highbrow

What makes an argument sound or unsound?
Sound: an argument is sound if and only if it is valid and contains only true premises.
Unsound: an argument that is not sound. Counterexample: an example which contradicts some statement or argument (ex.

Validity and Invalidity, Soundness and Unsoundness - templat

Last edited:

ppp

In general, circular arguments are valid, and if their premises are true, then they're sound. However, circular arguments are fallacious and therefore, bad arguments. Validity and soundness are properties of deductive arguments.Jan 30, 2018

Correct. And your premises are not true. Which is not the same as being false.
Until it was demonstrated that the Higgs Boson existed, it was not true that it existed.

Similarly:
It is not true that there is a god.
It is not true that the people you call 'Messengers of God' are actually messengers of any god.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Correct. And your premises are not true. Which is not the same as being false.
Unless you can prove that my premises are false all you have is a personal opinion, a bald assertion.

You do not know that my premises are false, so that is an argument from ignorance.

Argument from ignorance asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false or proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true. This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four,
  1. true
  2. false
  3. unknown between true or false
  4. being unknowable (among the first three).[1]
Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia

I do not assert that my beliefs are true because they have not yet been proven false, I believe they are true.
You can have a personal opinion about my beliefs but you can never prove my beliefs are false.
Similarly:
It is not true that there is a god.
It is not true that the people you call 'Messengers of God' are actually messengers of any god.
And neither one of those claims are true unless you can prove they are true.