• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will you do in your "afterlife?"

SeekingAllTruth

Is having something in the range of 5% to 8% survive to age 70 plausible in that time?

Yes -- Quite plausible as reasonably estimated, according to the analysis:
Demography of the Roman Empire
I would not play with 5-8% odds in Las Vegas. And what would be the possibility of the gospels writers locating approximately 16 witnesses in an empire of such a vast population? The Roman empire had 54 million people living in Augustus' time. And the gospel writers couldn't exactly put an ad in the newspaper asking people who heard Jesus talk please contact them at 1624 Appian Way Rome Italy. Nope not at all probable.

Last edited:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I would not play with 5-8% odds in Las Vegas. And what would be the possibility of the gospels writers locating approximately 16 witnesses in a population in such a vast population? The Roman empire had 54 million people living in Augustus' time. And the gospel writers couldn't exactly put an ad in the newspaper asking people who heard Jesus talk please contact them at 1624 Appian Way Rome Italy. Nope not at all probable.
5-8% is few...until it's 5-8% of hundreds.

According to the accounts, thousands would come to hear Jesus at times, and we can expect dozens of hundreds very often would come to see by that point in time of Lazarus being visited, in fact a crowd was around Him as he walked at that moment leading up to the event as the text itself relates!

Youngsters in that age range of 15-20 run to see what is happening.

They will literally drop what they are doing (even onto the floor/ground) and rush to the exciting event.

SeekingAllTruth

5-8% is few...until it's 5-8% of hundreds.

Youngsters in that age range of 15-20 run to see what is happening.

They will literally drop what they are doing (even onto the floor/ground) and rush to the exciting event.
Opinions, not facts. How did the gospel writers in Greece even locate these few hundred people? Again, did they take out an ad and offer to pay travel expenses? Nope, not at all probable.

halbhh

Opinions, not facts. How did the gospel writers in Greece even locate these few hundred people? Again, did they take out an ad and offer to pay travel expenses? Nope, not at all probable.

As it happens, it's made very abundantly clear in the New Testament that the believers congregated together, repeatedly.

If you want 1 or 2 verses just ask. Or 5.

SeekingAllTruth

As it happens, it's made very abundantly clear in the New Testament that the believers congregated together, repeatedly.

If you want 1 or 2 verses just ask. Or 5.
Yes, and how did Athen University Greek scholars find these little patches of Christians in 90 CE who just "happened" to contain a witness who lived to...(gasp) 90 (lol)? Come on, this is getting so ludicrous I don't know what to say. :eek:

halbhh

Yes, and how did Athen University Greek scholars find these little patches of Christians in 90 CE who just "happened" to contain a witness who lived to...(gasp) 90 (lol)? Come on, this is getting so ludicrous I don't know what to say. :eek:
heh... You just reminded me of a bit of news from yesterday I want to see more on!

Meanwhile, we all know some people live longer than others, 15, 20 years past the average.

People that want to know more can learn more quite easily, such as from the link I offered above.

Have a good night.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I would not play with 5-8% odds in Las Vegas. And what would be the possibility of the gospels writers locating approximately 16 witnesses in an empire of such a vast population? The Roman empire had 54 million people living in Augustus' time. And the gospel writers couldn't exactly put an ad in the newspaper asking people who heard Jesus talk please contact them at 1624 Appian Way Rome Italy. Nope not at all probable.
For one thing, yes, the apostles had listeners, and some of them travelled and preached about Jesus, of course, they did not become Greek philosophers or doctors of law after they met with Jesus. John, of course, was in exile way after he walked with Jesus. Tacitus, a Roman historian, wrote about Jesus and Nero who accused Christians. He lived c.56-120 C.E.

SeekingAllTruth

For one thing, yes, the apostles had listeners, and some of them travelled and preached about Jesus, of course, they did not become Greek philosophers or doctors of law after they met with Jesus. John, of course, was in exile way after he walked with Jesus. Tacitus, a Roman historian, wrote about Jesus and Nero who accused Christians. He lived c.56-120 C.E.
Tatitus did NOT write about "JESUS". He mentions "Chrestus" (anointed one)

Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition...

Why didn't Tacitus call him by his name, Yeshua ben Joseph. There were a dozen "Christs" in Israel at that time.

ajay0

I would go exploring the astral worlds (mentioned in Yogananda's 'Autobiography of a Yogi') and having a good time.

When I get bored with it , I might start exploring the causal worlds, which is considered a more subtler and interesting dimension.