• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will you do in your "afterlife?"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
This is a thread directed, I think, principally at those who actually believe they will have a "life after death." And I make bold to presume that most of those types think that this will go on forever, and forever, and forever...and will never, ever end.

Now, as someone who knows a bit of what it's like to live in this life (for 73 years in just 3 weeks), I can't help but wonder what those after-life believers think it will be like.

I mean, I can read for several hours at a time, for example -- but then I've got to get up and do something else. I can listen to opera for quite a while, but then I need a change-up -- maybe a walk in the woods, or a little snogging with they honey (wink, wink).

A lot of the things I did decades ago, I never do any more, and if I get to live much longer (hey, I can dream, can't I?), I hope to do some things I've never done before.

But the thought of trying to fill up an actual eternity -- that utterly defeats me. I mean, Mark Twain, in his "Letters From the Earth," pokes fun at those who can barely stand an hour of worship once a week, and mostly move their mouths without singing much during the hymns, but seem to look forward to doing nothing but worshipping and singing hymns non-stop for unending eons. How can that be?

So, anyway, there's the question: you have all eternity, never-ever ending, and you're going to have to keep yourself interested and involved, yet there's nothing to do, nowhere to go, except worship; do you really look forward to it?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This is a thread directed, I think, principally at those who actually believe they will have a "life after death." And I make bold to presume that most of those types think that this will go on forever, and forever, and forever...and will never, ever end.
Yep, this is what Baha'is believe - forever, and forever...and will never, ever end. Kind of scary to me because forever is a long time, so what if I don't like the scenery or the lodging or the itinerary, it's not like I can kill myself because I'll already be dead. :D
I make a joke out of this but it is not really that funny because I know that is where I am headed and it won't be that long before I depart from this world. Younger people can put off thinking about it but as we get older it stares us in the face, IF we are believers. :(
Now, as someone who knows a bit of what it's like to live in this life (for 73 years in just 3 weeks), I can't help but wonder what those after-life believers think it will be like.
I really have NO IDEA. Baha'u'llah wrote:

“The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men.... The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.” Gleanings. pp. 156-157
I mean, I can read for several hours at a time, for example -- but then I've got to get up and do something else. I can listen to opera for quite a while, but then I need a change-up -- maybe a walk in the woods, or a little snogging with they honey (wink, wink).

A lot of the things I did decades ago, I never do any more, and if I get to live much longer (hey, I can dream, can't I?), I hope to do some things I've never done before.
I do not think it will be much different from that. I think we will go from one place or activity to another, but the difference is that there will more activities and places to chose from in all the worlds of God.

And we will still have plenty of work to do for God IF we are believers. I cannot say what nonbelievers will be 'doing.'

“Those who have passed on through death, have a sphere of their own. It is not removed from ours; their work, the work of the Kingdom, is ours; but it is sanctified from what we call ‘time and place.’ Time with us is measured by the sun. When there is no more sunrise, and no more sunset, that kind of time does not exist for man. Those who have ascended have different attributes from those who are still on earth, yet there is no real separation.” ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in London, pp. 95-96
But the thought of trying to fill up an actual eternity -- that utterly defeats me.
But hypothetically speaking if you were healthy and had all the money and time you needed to go anywhere in this world, do you think you would ever get bored? Now think about if there were countless worlds, how could you ever get bored?

“As to thy question concerning the worlds of God. Know thou of a truth that the worlds of God are countless in their number, and infinite in their range. None can reckon or comprehend them except God, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise…..” Gleanings, pp. 151-152
I mean, Mark Twain, in his "Letters From the Earth," pokes fun at those who can barely stand an hour of worship once a week, and mostly move their mouths without singing much during the hymns, but seem to look forward to doing nothing but worshipping and singing hymns non-stop for unending eons. How can that be?

So, anyway, there's the question: you have all eternity, never-ever ending, and you're going to have to keep yourself interested and involved, yet there's nothing to do, nowhere to go, except worship; do you really look forward to it?
I would dread it if that was all there was to do.... I do not even do much worshiping in this world, so why would I want to do that in the afterlife, forever? But I certainly don't think that is what anyone will be doing. I mean God does not even need our worship, worship is only for our benefit in this life, but I don't think the same kind of worship will continue after we die and go to heaven...
Of course I could be wrong in which case I might be SOL. :( I mean I leaned towards atheism in this world so I might just fall into the abyss, far from God. :eek:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

But the thought of trying to fill up an actual eternity -- that utterly defeats me. I mean, Mark Twain, in his "Letters From the Earth," pokes fun at those who can barely stand an hour of worship once a week, and mostly move their mouths without singing much during the hymns, but seem to look forward to doing nothing but worshipping and singing hymns non-stop for unending eons. How can that be?

I will probably pay off my mortgage. And maybe my student loans.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd always had a hard time trying to think of eternity in the linear sense like this, even when I was a fundamentalist Christian. Eternity is timelessness, not perpetual time. Imagining Eternity as a linear line is a projection of human perception onto the Abyss.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

I know this may sound funny, but there are some things I hope to learn. And it will take time, and expert teachers. For me. They're hard to find. But I believe I can do what I want to do, but can't do now because either I don't have the time, or the right teacher.

YoursTrue

I'd always had a hard time trying to think of eternity in the linear sense like this, even when I was a fundamentalist Christian. Eternity is timelessness, not perpetual time. Imagining Eternity as a linear line is a projection of human perception onto the Abyss.
I'll tell you this--even though I know I face death, I don't really want to die.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Eternity is timelessness, not perpetual time.
And that means we will no longer be thinking about time, as we do in this earthly life......
So we won't be thinking things like "I am so bored, when is this life going to end?" :D
It does not work to project our life experience in this life onto the afterlife because it is so very different.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'll tell you this--even though I know I face death, I don't really want to die.
Me neither in spite of all the promises of Baha'u'llah that the next life is going to be far, far better than this earthly life.
I do believe that but I hate change! That is one reason I keep working rather than retiring even though I don't need the extra money.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And that means we will no longer be thinking about time, as we do in this earthly life......
So we won't be thinking things like "I am so bored, when is this life going to end?" :D
It does not work to project our life experience in this life onto the afterlife because it is so very different.
I think we can know what that is like in this life. I think that should be the true pursuit of any genuine religion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Why do you think there is nothing to do except worship? I personally don't believe there will even be a requirement to worship to enter the afterlife.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Catch up on my sleep....
From what I hear you won't need sleep there but you will need to rest up from the trip after you arrive. :D.

“It appears that there are Rest Halls in this region, specially prepared for newly arrived pilgrims. I shall use your language. We can only convey our experiences approximately. To describe conditions here in WORDS is quite impossible. Please remember this. My brother helped me into one of these Rest Halls. Confusion at once dropped away from me. Never shall I forget my happiness. I sat in the alcove of a splendid domed hall. The splashing of a fountain reached my tired being and soothed me. The fountain 'played' music, colour, harmony, bliss. All discordancies vanished and I was at peace. My brother sat near me. He could not stay long, but promised to return. I wanted to find you at once to tell you I had found peace, but it is only now that I could do so. On earth, the study of crystal formations was a great hobby of mine. To my intense delight I discovered that this splendid hall was constructed according to the law of crystal formations. I spent hours in examining various parts of it. I shall spend hours and days and weeks there. I can continue my studies and make endless discoveries. What happiness! When I have regained a state of poise, my brother says I may help him in his work outside. I am in no hurry for this.

You evidently know nothing about crystals., I cannot impress your mind with the wonders of this place. What a pity ! This place is so different from any earthly edifice that I fear it is useless to attempt description. As it is, people will say I am romancing. Or else they will say that you, my faithful scribe, have let your imagination run away with you. Please let me return again later. I still have much to say.”

Wellesley Tudor Pole, Private Dowding, p. 20

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What will you do in your 'afterlife'?: Is not that a silly question? There is no after-life.
It is only a line that the religious leaders and charlatans take to fool people (knowing very well that there is none), or if they themselves are ignorant and superstitious.

SeekingAllTruth

From what I hear you won't need sleep there but you will need to rest up from the trip after you arrive. :D.

“It appears that there are Rest Halls in this region, specially prepared for newly arrived pilgrims. I shall use your language. We can only convey our experiences approximately. To describe conditions here in WORDS is quite impossible. Please remember this. My brother helped me into one of these Rest Halls. Confusion at once dropped away from me. Never shall I forget my happiness. I sat in the alcove of a splendid domed hall. The splashing of a fountain reached my tired being and soothed me. The fountain 'played' music, colour, harmony, bliss. All discordancies vanished and I was at peace. My brother sat near me. He could not stay long, but promised to return. I wanted to find you at once to tell you I had found peace, but it is only now that I could do so. On earth, the study of crystal formations was a great hobby of mine. To my intense delight I discovered that this splendid hall was constructed according to the law of crystal formations. I spent hours in examining various parts of it. I shall spend hours and days and weeks there. I can continue my studies and make endless discoveries. What happiness! When I have regained a state of poise, my brother says I may help him in his work outside. I am in no hurry for this.

You evidently know nothing about crystals., I cannot impress your mind with the wonders of this place. What a pity ! This place is so different from any earthly edifice that I fear it is useless to attempt description. As it is, people will say I am romancing. Or else they will say that you, my faithful scribe, have let your imagination run away with you. Please let me return again later. I still have much to say.”

Wellesley Tudor Pole, Private Dowding, p. 20
It appears that as beautiful a place God made heaven, He made earth just the polar opposite--ugly as hell.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I will probably pay off my mortgage. And maybe my student loans.
After death, all loans are written off. That is what Charvak Hindus said around Buddha's time:
"Yāvat jivet sukham jivet, rinam kritvā ghritam pibet;
bhasmibhutasya dehasya, punarāgamanam kutah."

Till you live, live happily, enjoy luxuries even if you have to take a loan;
(because) once the body is cremated, there is no coming back.

Ajit Kesakambali, whom Buddha mentions in 'Samannaphala Sutta", is supposed to have been a Charvak.
Charvaka, Ajita Kesakambali, Samaññaphala Sutta
I'll tell you this - even though I know I face death, I don't really want to die.
^^^ THAT is the problem, a universal problem. Denying reality, and trying to find a way to escape it.
Me, neither in spite of all the promises of Baha'u'llah ..
Then why keep the pretense? Junk it. Don't have that much courage?
I think we can know what that is like in this life. I think that should be the true pursuit of any genuine religion.
What does that mean, Windwalker? How does one find which religion is genuine and which is not?
Why do you think there is nothing to do except worship? I personally don't believe there will even be a requirement to worship to enter the afterlife.
OK. So, you know something about requirements to enter the afterlife! I think dying is one requirement. :D
Catch up on my sleep....
Please do. Because they would not allow anything other than singing hymns. Dozing or trying to sleep would be considered unGodly.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

I don't know -- I still want to learn certain things about music -- and instruments. I would like to learn about spices. Is there anything you'd like to learn? I doubt I'll wake up and say I'm tired of feeling well, being with people who love me, and whom I love -- I doubt I'll say I had enough of this. Now worship is involved with this.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
After death, all loans are written off. That is what Charvak Hindus said around Buddha's time:
"Yāvat jivet sukham jivet, rinam kritvā ghritam pibet;
bhasmibhutasya dehasya, punarāgamanam kutah."

Till you live, live happily, enjoy luxuries even if you have to take a loan;
(because) once the body is cremated, there is no coming back.

Ajit Kesakambali, whom Buddha mentions in 'Samannaphala Sutta", is supposed to have been a Charvak.
Charvaka, Ajita Kesakambali, Samaññaphala Sutta
^^^ THAT is the problem, a universal problem. Denying reality, and trying to find a way to escape it.Then why keep the pretense? Junk it. Don't have that much courage?What does that mean, Windwalker? How does one find which religion is genuine and which is not?OK. So, you know something about requirements to enter the afterlife! I think dying is one requirement. :DPlease do. Because they would not allow anything other than singing hymns. Dozing or trying to sleep would be considered unGodly.
All my loans will be paid off? Then it is time for some strippers!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It appears that as beautiful a place God made heaven, He made earth just the polar opposite--ugly as hell.
If we compare earth to heaven earth pales in comparison, but for those who don't know what heaven will be like earth looks pretty spiffy...
Please bear in mind that there are some Christians who believe that they will be resurrected in physical bodies and live on earth forever, and they believe earth will be a paradise, like the Garden of Eden restored.
The JWs believe that.they will spend eternity on earth and you cannot talk them out of that belief because they are so much looking forward to it... Imagine their surprise when they wake up in heaven. :oops:

I recommend you take the time to read this little book, it has many spiritual lessons contained within, things the true seeker needs to know. It is online, free to read at your leisure. Please bear in mind it was written over 100 years ago and then look at what is going on in the world today. ;)

Private Dowding by Wellesley Tudor Pole