• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What traits do you respect?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
When you come to know people, what things about them cause you to come to respect them? What, personally, do you admire in people?

For me, a big one is a good work ethic. If people take things seriously and to care about what they do... I respect that.

Another thing is when people are able to reassess their understandings and come to new conclusions. It's truly a rare thing to see in this day and age, and when I see people actually challenging themselves... I have to respect that, too. Even if I don't always agree with the conclusions they draw. :)

What about you guys? What causes you to come to respect a person?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Lots of things come to the top of my head ... reliability, calmness, sense of humour, and yours too ... ability to reflect enough to change, honesty, ability to mind their own business, know when to speak, when not to.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
When you come to know people, what things about them cause you to come to respect them? What, personally, do you admire in people?

For me, a big one is a good work ethic. If people take things seriously and to care about what they do... I respect that.

Another thing is when people are able to reassess their understandings and come to new conclusions. It's truly a rare thing to see in this day and age, and when I see people actually challenging themselves... I have to respect that, too. Even if I don't always agree with the conclusions they draw. :)

Anyone with a mix of honesty and empathy is highly rated by me. Ultimately that comes together in a package I think of as 'trust'.

I respect people who have grace under pressure, although I'm not too fussy on how that looks, since we're all wired a little differently.

Orbit

I'm a planet

Integrity, honesty, and compassion.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Adaptability is important to me. Life's chaotic. Sometimes it stinks, but we have to adjust.

I also appreciate someone who can see the humor in any situation. It helps make a bad situation bearable; sometimes even pleasant.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Those very things. And changing your POV...that takes a certain amount of humility.

Another quality I appreciate seeing in others, is self-control when it comes to anger.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Adaptability is important to me. Life's chaotic. Sometimes it stinks, but we have to adjust.

I also appreciate someone who can see the humor in any situation. It helps make a bad situation bearable; sometimes even pleasant.

Pleasant? What in heck you want that for? Isn't miserable, challenging, and grinding better for gettin' sympathy?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Integrity. When I find I can trust that the person is showing me his or her authentic self, my estimation of them takes a tremendous leap. I hate it when a person turns out to be fake.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Honesty tends to be a main one. It doesn't matter what else they may be, a liar is best kept at a[n emotional] distance and not counted among friends.
After that is cleanliness and integrity.

Pleasant? What in heck you want that for? Isn't miserable, challenging, and grinding better for gettin' sympathy?
Several years I had as a text message alert on my phone the Nelson "Ha-Ha!" from the Simpsons. I was fixing some pipes under my house that came apart. As I turned the water back on I just got the valve turned all the way on when I heard the pipes burst. Right after that I hear coming from my phone "Ha-Ha!" The situation wasn't pleasant, but it was pretty funny.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Several years I had as a text message alert on my phone the Nelson "Ha-Ha!" from the Simpsons. I was fixing some pipes under my house that came apart. As I turned the water back on I just got the valve turned all the way on when I heard the pipes burst. Right after that I hear coming from my phone "Ha-Ha!" The situation wasn't pleasant, but it was pretty funny.

Had a moment like that a long time ago... was living with my then boyfriend and his father. His father was a wonderful man, but pretty rough around the edges. My then boyfriend was telling his friends a bit about his dad while in the basement, while his dad was in the kitchen above us. He said "Yeah, he's a bit tough, but I love the old fart." Right then, his dad cut one of the loudest farts I'd ever heard; loud enough to be heard on another floor. He couldn't figure out why everyone in the basement was laughing.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I admire storytellers such as comedians, and I admire musicians. I admire good cooks. Someone who can troubleshoot technical problems is impressive, too; because it requires noticing what assumptions have been made and realizing when they must be reconsidered. I admire an accurate hand that can carve or draw.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I come to the conclusion that i must respect every person as a person, that does not mean i agree with everything they do, say or think. But it is their life so they must live their life as they believe is most correct, not how i want or wish they do.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I come to the conclusion that i must respect every person as a person, that does not mean i agree with everything they do, say or think. But it is their life so they must live their life as they believe is most correct, not how i want or wish they do.

Hmmm... I think there is a difference between respect given vs. respect earned. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity until proven otherwise; not everyone deserves your admiration until proven otherwise. :)

TRUTH.... A rare commodity with some people. A good work ethic you say. you should get on well with God.
Colossians 3:22-24.

22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eye service, as men pleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

People whose behavior is good and shows up my own mistakes and errors in my own. I love learning and improving myself by the way others lead to be a better person. Boring I know to many but just being truthful.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hmmm... I think there is a difference between respect given vs. respect earned. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity until proven otherwise; not everyone deserves your admiration until proven otherwise. :)
My admiration is for Allah. Muhammad and my teacher. But as a human being i see others as human beings first, then their action words and thoughts. So to respect others to me means to respect that i am not above them as a human being. they are same, but their action, words or thoughts may not be something to respect, this is how i think.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
How about consistency?
Too many people embrace a moral principle only in one sphere, while ignoring it in others.

Very true! admirable qualities vary from culture to culture, person to person, and ideal to ideal. Sometimes people need to alter their own expectations before assessing what they expect from others.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I respect people with high intelligence and the ability and willingness to use it. I think from that come some other traits logically, openmindednes, reflection, honesty.