• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to expect having pet cats?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Every time I see a picture of a cat online it makes me want one. I’m thinking about getting a couple of rescues. I’d like to eventually take them for walks on a leash

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Every time I see a picture of a cat online it makes me want one. I’m thinking about getting a couple of rescues. I’d like to eventually take them for walks on a leash

Expect chaos and joy, expect cleaning vomit and cuddles. Expect vet bills and being treated as a slave

I've tried several times to take different cats out on a leash and still have the scars to prove it.

I think the only time a cat leash actually works is if the cat is raised from a young kitten wearing a harnes on a daily basis.

A rescue cat is in all probability to old to accept the confinement of the harness

Heyo

Veteran Member
No guarantees but the only cats I've seen on a leash were Siamese.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nix the leash idea. Cats do not have that mentality. Dogs are pack animals. They will accept a leader. Cats are from more independent ancestors.

But for owning a cat. Expect some damage. They will need devices to claw. If they do not have them your sofa will do nicely. Cats for all of their agility appear to be inexcusably clumsy at times. If there is something valuable on a shelf that they can get to it may end up on the floor.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nix the leash idea. Cats do not have that mentality. Dogs are pack animals. They will accept a leader. Cats are from more independent ancestors.

But for owning a cat. Expect some damage. They will need devices to claw. If they do not have them your sofa will do nicely. Cats for all of their agility appear to be inexcusably clumsy at times. If there is something valuable on a shelf that they can get to it may end up on the floor.

We have several scratching posts, they prefer the settee

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Regarding scratching, my sister-in-law let me know over the weekend that there actually is a very humane way to de-claw cats, and apparently it's how it was done for our eldest. I haven't had a chance to see how expensive it is, but essentially the vet puts your cat under, removes the claw/nail (NOT the first knuckle being amputated) and then uses a laser to seal the nail bed so it won't grow back.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I was in an antique store recently, & saw a nice
cupboard....except that the corners were all worn
away & splinttery...so much so that the interior
was visible because so little wood was left.
The dealer said the owner had cats....many cats.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a cat I walked on a leash as a kid. She was a big round thing, over 20 pounds. Vet said she needed exercise. So, I got the leash and took her out to accomplish that.

We got about 4 houses down the street, and she started panting. Having never seen a cat pant, I panicked, picked her up, and took her home. We did that each day, and she'd pant a little closer to the house. One day, she panted as soon as she got out the door. I realized then she'd been playing me, and booted her back up, and went on down the block.

But, in general leash training can be tricky. Not undoable, though. I'd recommend a harness if you insist. However, a leash is unnecessary if you want your cats to walk with you. I have three that walk with us, trotting along like dogs, but all completely leashless. Neighbors get shocked and say they walk better than their dogs. They weren't even really trained... they just like coming along.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Regarding scratching, my sister-in-law let me know over the weekend that there actually is a very humane way to de-claw cats, and apparently it's how it was done for our eldest. I haven't had a chance to see how expensive it is, but essentially the vet puts your cat under, removes the claw/nail (NOT the first knuckle being amputated) and then uses a laser to seal the nail bed so it won't grow back.
What gives? Illegal in the UK. Claws are part of a cat. If someone doesn't want claws in their living place they shouldn't have a cat. Get a goldfish.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have three that walk with us, trotting along like dogs, but all completely leashless. Neighbors get shocked and say they walk better than their dogs. They weren't even really trained... they just like coming along.
It helps that you wear ankle bracelets
made of catnip encrusted bacon.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
What gives? Illegal in the UK. Claws are part of a cat. If someone doesn't want claws in their living place they shouldn't have a cat. Get a goldfish.

Totally agree.

Back when I had cats I would carefully trim the sharp points off their claws, using nail clippers. It reduces the damage to furniture somewhat. The claws will grow back, so you have to do it again when they get sharp. You need an easy going cat, and please be very careful not to hit the "live" part of the nail.